Craftsman stamps

I've never been able to find information on the progression of Craftsman axe stamps over the years. I know they used many different stamps but I haven't been able to date them.

What I'm hoping to do with this thread is at least get a record of what different stamps are out there. Maybe we can make some informed guesses about dates and the progression of stamps. So please share photos of whatever Craftsman stamps you have and lets see where this leads us. I'll start.

First up is an old double oval stamp. This one is pretty pitted and hard to photograph. It's a 3.5 pound single bit. I think the double ovals are the oldest Craftsmans in my collection. This one has great geometry with nice high centerline. The steel is very good.

Craftsman%204.jpg

Here's a better example of a double oval stamp on a hatchet.

Double%20oval%20hatchet.jpg

Next is a boys axe with a single oval stamp. I think this one might be from the 50's or 60's. This is one of my favorite axes.

Single%20oval%20boys%20axe.jpg

Here's a later model Craftsman but still made in U.S.A. The stamp has no oval but has two bars on either side of the word 'Craftsman'. This one has thin flat cheeks like you see on modern Euro-import axes.
Bars%20-%20single%20bit.jpg

This hatchet has a similar configuration but now the bars are either side of the trademark line. I'm guessing this may have something to do with how much space there is to print on the little hatchet. I've seen Vaughan hatchets that look just like this one.

Bars%20-%20hatchet.jpg

So what do you guys have to add? Have any Craftsman axes? Do you know any dates for any of these stamps?

Last edited:
Good question, my local junk shop has a little craftsman broad axe/hatchet that has "craftsman flint edge" stamped on it, with perfect factory paint and no pitting. I almost buy it every time I go there but have held off because I figured it must be a later model.

I too am interested in the Craftsman stamp timeline.

Here are my two Craftsman double ovals. First is a hewing hatchet that I restored and the second is a double bit that I haven't gotten around to cleaning up.

Picture-211-1_zps9a9ff2fc.jpg

Picture-312_zps530e0342.jpg

While looking for info on the net about where this stamp fits into the Craftsman stamp timeline I came across a single bit with the same stamp and the remnants of a sticker on an original handle so I grabbed the pic and saved it.

631200494_o_zps8689ad4b.jpg

That add directed me to a website that claims this logo is from 1940. Unfortunately I don't remember what site that was so...

craftsman1940logo_zpsb3a9cd47.gif

I have also visited the sears archives site and found a couple interesting adds. This one from 1927 has a logo that is very similar to ones I have seen on Craftsman axes/hatchets from time to time on auction sites. In fact, I have a hatchet head that should be arriving on my doorstep sometime soon with this same wavy Craftsman stamped on it.

1927AD1_96_zps0686c3a3.jpg

Another add from 1934. Anyone seen something like this stamped on axes or hatchets?

1934MO1_96_zps98a44541.jpg

Last edited:
Good question, my local junk shop has a little craftsman broad axe/hatchet that has "craftsman flint edge" stamped on it, with perfect factory paint and no pitting. I almost buy it every time I go there but have held off because I figured it must be a later model.

Given Craftsman's record of re-branding tools made by other makers it wouldn't surprise me if that was a True Temper.

One place to search for old Craftsman logos, and put a date on them, is the Google news archives, which has copies of old newspapers (including some advertisements from Sears).

For example, here's a double bit axe with the double oval stamp, from a 1943 ad:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=EwctAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r9QFAAAAIBAJ&dq=craftsman%20axe&pg=2022%2C62731

Here's a 1972 Sears ad, from Canada, that shows a Craftsman axe that was made in Sweden:

"Craftsman Swedish Chopping Axe -- Made of the Finest Swedish Steel.
Varnished 32" hickory handle. Reg. $5.98... Sale $5"
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=4GxkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=In0NAAAAIBAJ&dq=craftsman%20axe&pg=5566%2C2101623

I wonder if there also might not be some overlap. That is that different providers might have been using different stamps even at the same time.

Pegs...
My FIL gave me this axe several years ago. It was his when he was growing up. His father bought it for him.
It dates from the early to mid 50's...

C561FDBA-F675-46F8-8AC3-9F6F12384EF1-651-0000006D915283B7.jpg

D89BA03E-0252-4344-BE43-FBDC1D836D74-651-0000006D7C0E5396.jpg

I have a newer Craftsmans hatchet. I'll get a couple of pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
It dates from the early to mid 50's...

C561FDBA-F675-46F8-8AC3-9F6F12384EF1-651-0000006D915283B7.jpg

Thanks, Bear. I didn't think the double bar stamp went back that far. John might be on to something with his overlap idea.

There's supposed to be a local history museum with a collection of Sears catalogs. I'm thinking about doing a little research in those.

Thanks, Bear. I didn't think the double bar stamp went back that far. John might be on to something with his overlap idea.

There's supposed to be a local history museum with a collection of Sears catalogs. I'm thinking about doing a little research in those.

That would be a great idea Pegs.

Here ya go Pegs...
I've had this hatchet for around 7 years and it was bought new...

983C4169-CE6B-4AA1-AF2D-E0006AB095AE-128-00000007961129EB_zpsce398229.jpg

9174F6B0-488B-4770-B0A0-EC92CAEC75B4-128-000000079D0847EC_zps9b2e7fe3.jpg

As you can see, I've kinda miss treated her and banged on her with a hammer a little :p

Last edited:
The hatchet head arrived today. At this point I do believe this is the earliest of the Craftsman stamps.

IMG_4552_zps9fad8807.jpg

IMG_4554_zpscf34b943.jpg

I noticed this stamp on the bottom of the head and I don't know what it means. Looks to me like it was double stamped E5 or F5.

IMG_4557_zpsdb978308.jpg

I hope my son will appreciate and enjoy his 10th birthday present.

Thanks for the pics, Cedar. I've seen pictures of that stamp but never knew anyone who had one. Let us know what you think of the steel I bet it's good.

Hey Peg...The boys axe in your third photo is a real beauty. Nice depth and very nice rounded poll. Very nice pattern indeed.

Don't even need to pick it up to know she would feel 'easy' to use.

Regards...Frank

Thanks, Frank. It's a sweety alright. I like it even better than my Collins boys axe. Very fresh and came with a great original handle, too.

Back