Craftsman stamps

Has a Mann look to it.

vintage-craftsman-single-bit-camping_1_eeda4e29bd5e7d9add8ae2b8d654d0d4.jpg
That really is a nice looking Craftsman hatchet.

I wonder if that was what this was before I "had my way with it"...

Someone mentioned dropping it in a bucket of vinegar for a couple of hours to see if it was hardened to the nail puller. Couple hours, couple weeks. Is there a difference? *shame.:thumbdn:

Mov58ww.jpg

X6fo4o4.jpg

nmM27iU.jpg

Last edited:
That really is a nice looking Craftsman hatchet.

I wonder if that was what this was before I "had my way with it"...

Someone mentioned dropping it in a bucket of vinegar for a couple of hours to see if it was hardened to the nail puller. Couple hours, couple weeks. Is there a difference? *shame.:thumbdn:

At least you learned 😁 and it looks pretty interesting to me.

My mother in law picked up a Craftsman boy’s axe at a friend’s garage sale.
Here it is next to an earlier incarnation with green paint, flat cheeks, and decent steel – that one I do use.

rkSVfl5.jpg

Bars, trade mark, M and an E as shown on a couple of others but with the addition of the M 2 ¼ stamped on the other side.

tEVKO7s.jpg

969IjEl.jpg

This new one is painted black, rough finishing marks, has a single metal wedge, and is attached to one of those “budget friendly” flat-sided handles that no one really gets excited about – at least not in a good way.

2Di8Qfs.jpg

EITigX4.jpg

If it wasn’t stamped Craftsman I would think it was a newer True Temper or import.

Oh, and in the event you can’t read or don’t want to there is the Goggle Guy facing you while you use it.

SowqJiY.jpg

I know it’s difficult to get hard dates on the Craftsman logos but is this a recent representation of the “end of the road” for quality – at least with axes with the Craftsman stamp?

Last edited:
My mother in law picked up a Craftsman boy’s axe at a friend’s garage sale.
Here it is next to an earlier incarnation with green paint, flat cheeks, and decent steel – that one I do use.

Bars, trade mark, M and an E as shown on a couple of others but with the addition of the M 2 ¼ stamped on the other side.

This new one is painted black, rough finishing marks, has a single metal wedge, and is attached to one of those “budget friendly” flat-sided handles that no one really gets excited about – at least not in a good way.

If it wasn’t stamped Craftsman I would think it was a newer True Temper or import.

Oh, and in the event you can’t read or don’t want to there is the Goggle Guy facing you while you use it.

I know it’s difficult to get hard dates on the Craftsman logos but is this a recent representation of the “end of the road” for quality – at least with axes with the Craftsman stamp?

The letter codes for craftsman don't always stand for the companies name ( more often they don't ) but they sometimes do , and I get the feeling that ME stands for Mann edge.
The problem is that I haven't been able to find that particular stamp listed anywhere.
ME is what Sears required for their stamp, and Mann edge just put their personal identifying mark anyways.

I posted a link to your picture on another forum where they know a lot about craftsman stamps. they don't really know anything or give a crap about axes ( or hammers ) but are glad to learn about another craftsman stamp and may have looked it over in their research of ratchets and wrenches . I figure if anyone can find documentation on this stamp it's them, if it is found that the M E stamp is the mfg code fore Mann edge it will definitively prove that the M stamped axes were made by them.

Here is a stamp that I did not see in this thread. It is a boys axe with remnants of green paint. I do not know much about this one, got it at a yard sale.

20161026_121756_zpsnhvjfbdo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20161026_121805_zpsjh6xnov2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The thread that won't die.

Picked this up a couple years ago at an estate sale. Didn't realize it was that old.

20161125_143933-1_zpsgwjcgvlf.jpg

I like Craftsman single oval axes. I have a single ova boys which is my current favorite boys axe. I recently added a full size single oval. It has great geometry but I haven't hung it yet.

I have a Craftsman with the oval as it appears on golden jubilee hatchet but without the jubilee 1886-1936 logo.Any ideas about the year it was made.

I have a Craftsman with the oval as it appears on golden jubilee hatchet but without the jubilee 1886-1936 logo.Any ideas about the year it was made.

I too am interested in the Craftsman stamp timeline.

Here are my two Craftsman double ovals. First is a hewing hatchet that I restored and the second is a double bit that I haven't gotten around to cleaning up.

Picture-211-1_zps9a9ff2fc.jpg

Picture-312_zps530e0342.jpg

While looking for info on the net about where this stamp fits into the Craftsman stamp timeline I came across a single bit with the same stamp and the remnants of a sticker on an original handle so I grabbed the pic and saved it.

631200494_o_zps8689ad4b.jpg

That add directed me to a website that claims this logo is from 1940. Unfortunately I don't remember what site that was so...

craftsman1940logo_zpsb3a9cd47.gif

I have also visited the sears archives site and found a couple interesting adds. This one from 1927 has a logo that is very similar to ones I have seen on Craftsman axes/hatchets from time to time on auction sites. In fact, I have a hatchet head that should be arriving on my doorstep sometime soon with this same wavy Craftsman stamped on it.

1927AD1_96_zps0686c3a3.jpg

Another add from 1934. Anyone seen something like this stamped on axes or hatchets?

1934MO1_96_zps98a44541.jpg

Here's a better example of a double oval stamp on a hatchet.

Double%20oval%20hatchet.jpg

Here's a big single bit with a nice strong double oval.
kPW6p7H.jpg

Is this the stamp you are asking about? A picture of your tool would help.

Globe & Mail and Ottawa Citizen today (6 Jan) carried a by line covering the Sears announcement of the sale of Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker for $900 M.

I was sad to see them sell 'Craftsman'. Sales usually mean a reduction in quality.

I bought extensively into Craftsman mechanic's tools 40 years ago. Wonderful guarantee but not so wonderful tools. The original gear all said USA on it but not so the recent warranty replacements. Current Stanley incarnations are also guaranteed for life (I bought a convenient boxed set to keep in the trunk of the car) but they are truly inferior, as you quickly find out when you actually use them. So now with Stanley and B & D already having amalgamated and lowered their standards and then picked up the Sears brand I don't foresee good things happening except drop in price. You've always had to pay a premium for Snap-On but they are one of the few that continues to make 'lifetime' tools.

With the decrease in competition I would expect an increase in prices. Monopoly.

Snap-on is a different league

Perhaps it's time we collectively insisted (via purchases) on 'different league' seeing as the standards for 'bush league' have been dropping steadily for the past 1/2 century. Monopoly will never exist as long as price dictates sales and a wrench (or an axe) appears to be a wrench (or axe) when you ogle it at the store. The worst part about all this is Snap-On is probably hurting financially because of their un-yielding philosophy.

Last edited:
I still see their trucks all over town. Garages are using exclusively Snap-on. They will typically have a replacement tool there the same day.

Might be jumping to conclusions with a decline in quality with Stanley buying Craftsman. Maybe I am wrong but I thought Stanley makes Matco. Matco I think is a little better than Craftsman. Maybe the Craftsman professional series is better?

Good stuff Steve, thank you! :thumbup:

Here's an interesting single oval. It's double struck. Looks like the first strike was too weak so they hit it again to get a good strong stamp. I didn't realize it was a double strike until I got it cleaned up.

Not sure what the f8 means.
I have a Fulton house axe with a F o. I suspect the o is a weak 8. I have seen other Fultons stamped under the poll also.

Back