Custom based on commercial design?

Does anyone know of custom knife makers who are willing to remake a knife from a commercial design but with the specifications and refinements I might want?

For example:
I have a knife that I love as far as its design, but I would really like the blade to be in a better steel. Are there knife makers who will replicate the blade but in a blade steel of my choice?

I doubt a custom maker would take on the idea of making a replica of a commercial design. Kinda looking for a lawsuit. You might be able to find someone willing to make something loosely based off of whatever blade you want, but just copying a design and making it in a different steel under a different name would just be in poor taste.

Agreed, too much risk for the maker, from a legal and reputation standpoint. Also, custom makers are designers and artists in their own right, they take a lot of pride and joy when someone appreciates their knives and builds. To ask them to replicate a commercial knife is to say that you don't value their designs and contributions.

You might be able to find a "Knife Modder" willing to do the work, as to whether their skill is up to the task is a different matter.

I definitely understand the vision you're trying to accomplish and wish you the best of luck.

I see what you are saying, but I am not paying for a direct copy of a knife, I want a different blade steel with some refinements. This is not much different than going to a muffler shop and asking for a copy of the exhaust to be replicated but in a larger diameter. I am not asking anyone to copy a design and then market it. If I were to make the copy of the blade myself and just for me, that is not illegal nor even immoral.

Last edited:
I had several made by my local knife maker, for the same reasons (better steel, improved design).
Unique pieces just made for me, I don't see the legal issue too.
Thing is, knife makers usually don't like to do that, unless the design you offer is challenging their skills... And they can be quite opinionated individuals too!

You can try to ask this in the Services Offered section and see who bites.

As others have said, though, it may be hard to find someone willing to do it.

I really think it depends on what your "refinements" are. The more it deviates from the original design, The more likely a maker will be willing to take the job. If it's something like a blade grind or basic shape & size, you shouldn't have too many problems. Also depends on how much you are willing to $pend to have this done. Either way, you'd be much better off asking this question in the knifemakers forums.

Best of luck

Why not go full custom? I've had two custom knives made. The first was essentially a fixed-blade version of a popular commercial folder, with a beefier build and saber grind instead of the original's hollow grind. Since it was a loose "copy" I consider it more "semi-custom" than completely custom, but it was still a great knife. The second was my own design from scratch, but it still included a couple elements I'd liked from other knives I'd handled. I drew it up with French curves, the knife maker I'd contacted suggested a minor refinement (which was better) and now I have the perfect custom EDC.

Just draw up a scale image and list the specs you want, then find a knife maker to do it. Few custom makers will directly copy a commercial design, but plenty will make a custom-design. So it sorta depends on what those "refinements" amount to. Why make a mere copy of something you like instead of getting exactly what you want?

Regardless of if someone eventually makes it for you, what are you thinking of doing? I like to hear about people's knife fantasies.

What if you got permission from the designer first? I remember on the Becker subforum... i think it was last year, a guy made a knife that was "inspired by" the BK4, with permission from Uncle Ethan.
Now, that said, if it's a major manufacturer with an in-house designer, that might be tougher.

I've seen this same request to a custom pool cue maker. He would not do it. He called it copying, not creating.
Most makers show their personality and creativity in the knives they make. I couldn't see a maker even making a 'loose' copy and putting their mark on it.
Can't hurt to ask though.
Joe

Look at it this way, most reputable makers have more than enough work to keep them busy. They can be selective in the projects that they get involved in. The more they like the project the more likely they are to take it on. Reproducing somebody else's design is going to fall below creating a new design or advancing one of their own designs in most instances. Therefore, even disregarding legal and moral issues you might have a hard time finding a maker for your project. If your revisions are substantial enough to warrant the attention of a reputable maker more than likely you'll be far enough from the original to make it an entirely new knife.

My suggestion would be to find a custom maker who's work you like and get in touch with them. Let them know what you're thinking of and work in collaboration with them to come up with something that you'll be happy with. Many times you'll find that their input leads to a knife that you like more than the one that you originally thought you wanted.

Of course I was aware of the difficulties in getting someone to merely copy someone else's design, that is why I asked:

"Does anyone know of custom knife makers who are willing to remake a knife from a commercial design but with the specifications and refinements I might want?"

I appreciate the commentary, but I gues this means nobody knows a knife maker who is willing to do this. I will ask in the knifemaker forum area as suggested.

Regardless of if someone eventually makes it for you, what are you thinking of doing? I like to hear about people's knife fantasies.

I am probably going to be yelled at for this, but I want a good blade steel version of a Chinese budget knife! I originally purchased a Harnds Talisman as a recommended cheap way of trying ball bearing pivots. I have found this knife to be a perfect fit for me in size, blade shape, and comfort in hand. It is an original design that doesn't seem to have a similar design in the better knife manufacturer world.

What do I want different? Well the pivot hole to pivot pin clearance is a bit high for one. The blade steel is AUS8. AUS8 isn't the worst steel in the world but I would really like this knife in CTS-XHP or something similar. The flipper tab is a bit misplaced as a finger guard when the knife is open and could use a bit of tweaking. The pocket clip could stand a tweak or two also to make it a bit stronger and reshaped as I have done with the one I have.

It is probably a bit ironic that I want to copy a Chinese knife, no?

I am probably going to be yelled at for this, but I want a good blade steel version of a Chinese budget knife! I originally purchased a Harnds Talisman as a recommended cheap way of trying ball bearing pivots. I have found this knife to be a perfect fit for me in size, blade shape, and comfort in hand. It is an original design that doesn't seem to have a similar design in the better knife manufacturer world.

What do I want different? Well the pivot hole to pivot pin clearance is a bit high for one. The blade steel is AUS8. AUS8 isn't the worst steel in the world but I would really like this knife in CTS-XHP or something similar. The flipper tab is a bit misplaced as a finger guard when the knife is open and could use a bit of tweaking. The pocket clip could stand a tweak or two also to make it a bit stronger and reshaped as I have done with the one I have.

It is probably a bit ironic that I want to copy a Chinese knife, no?

Well now that's and easy one to find. Just get a Shirogorov 111 or a 95.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/shirogorov-111-flipper.1150417/

Legally speaking, I believe if a design is 10% different it's not a copy anymore. It wouldn't take many changes to add up to 10%. A quarter inch longer or shorter, an 1/8th" wider or narrower, a ten thousandth thicker or thinner, and a different scale material makes it a different knife in the same style. Also, I seriously doubt any company is going to take legal action if one makers does a custom knife for one person based on their design. If he made 100 or 1000 of them, that might get a company's attention. FWIW I'm not an attorney or a knife maker. This is just my interpretation of what I've read of copyright law.
As for someone who would actually do it, the only way to find that out is to contact some makers. IMO, an up and coming maker would be more likely to take on such a project before a busier more established and in demand maker would.

Taken from the Natrix vs. Matrix thread and I am sure lawyers on both sides have looked into this, but:
"A knife design, how it looks, is neither an invention nor a branding element. So it may be possible to patent a locking mechanism, which happens all of the time (and is relevant later in the story of the Natrix), but it is not possible to patent a knife design. I suppose a sufficiently complex and different knife might be eligible for patent protection, something like the Caswell Linkage karambit, but it would a rarity."

So, while it may be frowned upon, making a design that takes the shape of another knife, seems within the realm of legal (I am sure there are circumstances and examples on both sides of the argument).

Would I personally do it, No.
Would another, Possibly.
Would I expect one to do it, Absolutely not.

As long as you don't ask the knife maker to engrave the logo of the original knife you are fine.

Go ahead draw and spec out how you want your knife and you may be surprised as to how far you go from this "original " design.

Back