Damasteel Wakizashi

Compromise.... damasteel tantos! Make one with traditional mountings and one with modern fittings!

I already do Damasteel tanto. I have one in progress, now. IIRC, it is a 12" blade and 7" tsuka, so it is O-tanto or shoto-wakizashi ... depending on the use.

" ....
If no one has ever before done wakizashi in Damasteel , I say do it . . . .People like to have one of a kind things :) ..."

I can't say no one has done it, but I have never seen one.

I already do Damasteel tanto. I have one in progress, now. IIRC, it is a 12" blade and 7" tsuka, so it is O-tanto or shoto-wakizashi ... depending on the use.

" ....
If no one has ever before done wakizashi in Damasteel , I say do it . . . .People like to have one of a kind things :) ..."

I can't say no one has done it, but I have never seen one.

I'd love to see these.

I'm trying to get a couple dozen new fillet and kitchen knives handled up for my Father's day show. After that I plan on pulling out the bins of Japanese blades and other fun projects and finish roughing them out. I will also get these new bars of steel and damasteel cut up and profiled ... then send the whole batch to Brad at Peter's. I'll have to look and see if the damasteel tanto is in the last batch back from the HTer, or in the new batch I'll be getting ready to send out.

And when people ask how much tell them oh it's not for sale, this is just my display piece, and by the end of the day people will be throwing stupid numbers at you for it because you said they can't have it :D

And Blade show is coming, just sayin... :)

But I bet Damasteel kitchen knives sell 8 days a week...

I also want to see the damasteel tanto. i think it would help form my opinion of a damasteel wak. at first read i said "eww hell no", but your stuff is always awesome...so for selfish reasons i want to see what you do with it.

I posted a thread in the sword form, but think I might get a better response here.

What are you chaps thoughts on doing a damasteel wakizashi

I received two batches of steel this week.
One batch was my order of six pieces of one meter long bars of Hitachi katana steel from Dictum ( white paper edge steel honsanmai with the sanmai sides in suminagashi). These will obviously become Japanese style swords and knives.

The other batch was four bars of Hugin pattern damasteel from a group buy with Ron Wilson.
When unwrapping the bars of damasteel ( 48" long bars) I swung one around jokingly, and then thought , "What about making a wakizashi in Damasteel?" I know it is in no way traditional, but it sure would look stunning. A katana would be just too crazy, but a wak might work.

My concern is the likelihood of selling it. I have made more than one knife/sword that everyone picked up and said, "Wow, that is really something.", only to set it down and look at more normal ( and cheaper) knives/swords.. Some nice things just don't sell fast. The costly steel will obviously add a good bit to the price. I figure it will end up around $1200-1500 depending on the koshirae.

So,
Comments?
Thoughts?
Am I crazy to do this?( well, maybe we better not go there :) )

I triple dog dare you.

Back