Damned politicians! -not what you think-

11 years ago, Gay Wilson, a local city councilor with dreams of utopia, convinced the county to rezone thousands of acres of farmland as high density residential housing. This was in anticipation of our little suburb growing from 8,000 to 60,000 like a couple other suburbs did. During the housing market collapse, much of the zoning was reversed. However, my farmland was rezoned only back to low density residential instead of agricultural. Now that I want to rebuild a barn that was there for decades but razed when Grandpa died, they won't let me. I'm applying for a variance, but it may turn out that I can't build my new workshop unless I build a house as well.

I feel like digging up the corpse of Gay Wilson, just so I can slap her in the face.

Keep your cool, have all your info in hand and memorized, and be direct when applying for a variance. Most city councils and planning districts don't mind a variance if they know what is the reason. Tell them exactly why you want the new barn and what it will be used for.

Now, if you tell them you want to re-build the barn because it will always remind you of grandpa, and then turn in plans for a commercial workshop that you will be doing light manufacturing in, they may turn you down.

That sucks donkey wieners. Is there any of the barn left standing? foundation?

I have to say that's pretty ridiculous. Its a shame that a man cant build a building on his own property..

We have had folks around here tell the municipality to suck it. They build anyway... the building inspector comes around and gives them a cease construction notice... they tell him to suck it and keep on building. I am totally serious. Apparently there is no mechanism in place to enforce land-use-bylaws here. Unless your build poses a danger to the public or the environment, no legal action is taken. They may have a problem should they try to sell, though.

We thought we'd do the right thing and go totally by the book. What a mistake that was. Everyone warned us. Nothing but hassles and money grabs the entire way. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Damned politicians! - exactly what I think - I hope you can convince them. Is there any housing in that rezoned area? Maybe you can point out that anything useful you put up might attract other construction.

Most of the nearby construction is considered "rural estate", which is usually a house on a very large lot, interspersed among crops and occasionally horses, goats, etc. We DON'T want to attract other construction, or they'll force us to install sidewalks, no more hunting or bonfires, etc. Meeting with the county planning office tomorrow. If it doesn't go well, I may take Rick's advice.

Damned politicians! - exactly what I think - I hope you can convince them. Is there any housing in that rezoned area? Maybe you can point out that anything useful you put up might attract other construction.

I have all your problems figured out. Build a house for $150,000 and a barn for $50,000.

Sell 4000 forges at $50 profit a forge ... problem solved.

I'd look at the pre-fab steel buildings. They come in all sizes, last a really long time with care, and are relatively inexpensive. If the town objects, the fall back position would be it's not a permanent structure like a house or barn. Just a thought.

Well, the metting with the county didn't go well. First, I have to re-plat the property before anything can be built. Second, I have to build a residential structure before I can build a workshop. Yes, workshop with apartment above it is acceptable. However, the entire building would have to meet the strict building codes for residential, wiring, plumbing, insulation, paneling, etc.

So, today I'm going shopping for Conex 53' containers.

Now the county say I can't even put Conex containers on it, can't even store my boat on it!

Oh, Rick, how I wished I had taken your advice and just never asked!!!

Now the county say I can't even put Conex containers on it, can't even store my boat on it!

Oh, Rick, how I wished I had taken your advice and just never asked!!!

I feel awful for you, bud. We opened up up a can of worms by asking questions, too. It took years to undue the damage we inflicted upon ourselves from doing the "right thing". I don't condone going against municipality/county by-laws but I will never seek permits or make a general inquiry ever again. It's as if these people have nothing better to do than make life difficult for folks just trying to get by.

There were quite a few by-laws that flat out didn't make sense and we wanted to know why they were ever implemented to begin with. We traced the town council minutes and found out exactly when the new amendments where adopted. Nowhere did it give a reason and nobody seemed to be bothered by it. Apparently, there were only 3 people in the room when they passed the amendment to change the maximum size of an outbuilding from a 750 sqft overall footprint to 400sqft interior floor area, inclusive(that means they add all levels). No matter what size property you have. I could literally pepper my lot with 20 x 20 1-story buildings but couldn't build one with a second floor! Oh... but the maximum height could still be 26 ft. A 26ft tall single story???

On the other hand, if I were to build a new house on an empty lot I could add an out building that far exceeds that size. I am only limited by the allowances from the property line. I made a joke and said, "What if I wanted a newly built house along with a 30 x 50 3-story out building?". She said it would be okay if the property could fit it.

Don't get me started, dammit!

Last edited:
:( Best of luck. This kind of shit is what scares me about my 5-10 year plan and buying land / building a shop.

Build a 5x5 "house" to code, then build your barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you allowed to sell the land? Cause that's what I would do. Sell it, and move to a county/state that's more free.

Back