• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Dan Huang aka LIUKANG is back

I have to believe that Liu Kang is not the main seller of Busse. Perhaps on eBay he is but I not in the rest of the world. And why would he be relisting the same merchandise over and over unless it was overpriced? It doesn't take long to check on eBay sales histories and it does not take long to find out that the only forum that sells Busse and is endorsed by Busse is right here.

Even so, I hate to see anyone be ripped off.

For those who had a legit deal with Liu Kang without getting burnt. It's not that he's not capable of doing the right thing. It is about the fact that you never know when he will decide to lie, cheat, steal, or whatever as he so chooses .

when i do business i don't want to do so with a unsavory character, and that is what he is in a nutshell. I also feel that those who continue to do business with him make it possible for him to keep screwing folks over at will . I like all want what i want,, but there is a point at which what i want is not worth doing certain things for. my morals are obviously not shared by many. i feel they are culpable in a sense for why he has existed for so long doing the same da... thing for so very long. nuff said

They sell knives, he buys them. Why would it be any of their business what he does with them at all? Its not like anybody is forced to buy from him...

True! The manufacturer is not responsible for the dealers practices. Even if they did stop him from buying from them he would just have his buddies buy them.

I found his listings on Ebay recently and joined that other forum because of his reference to his list over there. Now I will do a lot of research before deciding to deal with him. Thanks.

I found his listings on Ebay recently and joined that other forum because of his reference to his list over there. Now I will do a lot of research before deciding to deal with him. Thanks.

if you don't mind dealing with an unsavory human being that you can't trust freely why do research ? just proceed, it's your dime.
that gives you the right to do as you choose even if u do support the dude we call Liu Kang; and keep him in business. 1 + 1 = ...

Yeah, I don't think I'll buy anything from him ever. That was literally the first bad thing I heard about him, and I just joined that forum the night before to check out his listing threads.

The only thing I wanted was a hollow ground Scrap Yard Regulator. I can live without it and maybe pick it up in the Exchange here someday. He does have a selection posted though. Three colors of that knife for example. I can see why people try to deal with him if they have not heard the scoop.

I have done a bunch of deals with Dan back in the older days (before his 300 page thread blew up LOL) and I never had a problem. Sales, trades, he even purchased a knife from me, never a single issue. Does this mean that he is the most honest, on the level, scrupulous business guy out there, not by a mile. At the end of the day he seems to be in it for the business (not the hobby), the guy is still around and fairly successful after many years with a very large inventory, while other guys that attempted to do the same are long gone, so he seems to be having some sort of long term success??

I think a SIGNIFICANT part of this problem should be addressed to Jerry Busse. At one time, I easily had over $10K of Busse knives. While I loved the knives, I grew very tired of the sales model the Jerry Busse developed. His sales practices allowed guys like Dan and others to thrive (and profit) buy, hoard and flip immediately $$$. I run a large dealer network, if someone misbehaves, you cut them off, plain and simple. I spoke with Jerry many many years ago via email about Dan and the end result is that he "tolerates" him because of the $$$$. The stupid, idiotic, moronic sales model has caused me and others, to drift away from Busse products and is a root cause of issue like this.

Hats off to Busse success and he is free to sell and market anyway he seems fit. However, for me, what was fun and exciting early on, became the opposite down the road. Free market capitalism at it's best (and worst).

I hope it doesn't take 300 pages this time LOL

This is an informative post.^ And, we need to stay informed.
But, everything does not have to be about the money. When I see a knife that I like, at the right price, I buy it.
rolf

Dan is always at the NY/NJ show held twice a year, if you have a beef with him why not go there?, He is approachable, I talked to him a and asked him why people fkk hate you so much and is it true you ripp people off and why you start many accounts , he didn't run or get mad at me, he talked to me and told me his side, do I believe him?,partly , he is a dealer and is in it for profit YES, he overwhelm this site with post and always low ball everybody on the secondary YES, he takes advantage to get his for as low as possible and sale for maximum profit YES, all dealers at the show do the same crap,to many to mention, he does get a lot busses, probably because he buys a ton of product and at the end this is business, there is no friends here, each person is out to get his and makers to get theirs, is like that with everyone , is Dan slimy dealer YES, just like many others out there, all you do is don't buy from him, anybody doing research will see this thread just like the rest of the people, if you have a beef with him he is not hiding at the JD or at the show, he did what he did not defending that , would I deal with him NO, his junk is overpriced , as far as I know people that buy from him is because he has stuff hard to get and they don't care about this thread or anything else, yes he will always be around .

I hate to see aspersions cast on Busse because of Dan. I have observed Dan procure Busse knives in bulk, and it is not by any back-door methods. Busse displays hundreds of knives on a long table at Blade and chains the table off. After opening, a crowd gathers. At a set time after opening the crowd is given access to the knives which sell on a first-come basis, and they sell quickly! This is as fair a method as I know of, and was instituted to avoid giving advantage to holders of exhibition passes. Dan, and several others I might add whose practices have given them a good reputation, buy up a large number of knives in competition with anyone else who wants to buy a Busse knife. Now what is Busse to do, ration them? Refuse a purchaser's money? Cater only to old fart buyers like me, who are slow and deliberate and will buy no more than one to five the entire show?

Jerry has also instituted a lottery system to control the chaos at Knob Creek. I don't know what more he could do.

Dan is responsible for his own business practices, not Jerry Busse.

As for Dan, I will say only that I personally have been the recipient of an altruistic act by him, so there's at least that one.

Never had issues with Dan at all. Chatted several times on the phone and he has always been straight forward with me. Either way there are plenty of great sellers on BF and USN that have the same items.

In PDX right now. Dan? No one is forced to do business with him. He would not exist as a knife broker if no one purchased from him. His stuff is expensive, but he also has item's I have never seen elsewhere. I enjoy (just looking, thanks) at what he has for sale...;-)

I have no idea why this guy is so "famous" ...... I haven't been around here long enough, and I've never been into anything Busse....

It seems to me that he is the poster boy and maybe the best example of what happens when someone who has no interest in something, except on a monetary level, mixes with a bunch of people with the same interest, but much of that interest is a passion and love for a brand, and not solely based on "Maximum Profit"

You add in the fact that he controls a large number of these knives, and this is what you end up with.

If you break this down, it's easy to see where this went wrong;

You have a guy acting both as a buyer/enthusiast/collector and a dealer, and that doesn't work well in the forum environment.
You can see the reaction that gets even on a much smaller level.

This can't be blamed on Busse, they just want to sell knives, there are very few companies that care about trying to control how the "morality" of that happens.

Dan's business model, while smart, was one that took advantage of everything members of forums have never liked...
Be an enthusiast and part of the community, or be a dealer...try to be both on that scale, and inevitably a lot of people will hate you.

I'd be much, much less mad at him if he would lower his prices in small increments after several months / re-listings.
If something doesn't sell for 100% more than you paid for it a month ago, try 90%. Then try 80%.

Don't just sit there with your heart set on 100% mark-up and wait for a year or more to get it.
It's almost like he's daring you to make an ass of yourself by paying double what it's worth just because it's "that one" you want.... >_>
Totally taking advantage of our love of the hobby

One of the things that bothers me is that Busse has always felt like a family (especially at Blade) and Dan's business model just feels like so much the opposite of that. I agree with the previous post that he should be treated like a "misbehaving dealer". Just my 2 cents.

GregB

I'd be much, much less mad at him if he would lower his prices in small increments after several months / re-listings.
If something doesn't sell for 100% more than you paid for it a month ago, try 90%. Then try 80%.

Don't just sit there with your heart set on 100% mark-up and wait for a year or more to get it.
It's almost like he's daring you to make an ass of yourself by paying double what it's worth just because it's "that one" you want.... >_>
Totally taking advantage of our love of the hobby

Yeah his prices seem high. EBAY prices are really high, and forum prices are a little lower. I just got my Parkerized hollow ground Regulator from Mashed Cat of all places. It was $50 less than Dan's IIRC.

Back