Day of the Dingo

Took a little walk in the Wasatch National Forest this afternoon. Ran into a working sheep dog (Great Pyrenees?) and a bull moose who was acting a bit irritated. Where has your Dingo been lately?
IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

Nice shots man! I have heard great things about the dingo. How do you like it thus far?

This, my friends, is a REAL working sheep dog. (Kelpie).

kelpie-1.jpg

... and the last thing any sheep farmer wants anywhere near his sheep is a bloody dingo... ;) :)

Slightly more seriously, a nice, and very handy, looking knife.

:)

The Dingo is an excellent, excellent blade! I highly recommend it. Unnoticeable on the belt and does a big knife job.

I suppose that dog wasn't working the sheep as much as being the flock guardian. He had some battle scars. No telling what he has to worry about at night up in those sticks.

This, my friends, is a REAL working sheep dog. (Kelpie).

I had a Kelpie when I was a kid. You don't see many of them here in the states. Great cow dog. I think they're right up there with Heelers as being the heartiest/toughest dogs on earth. They can handle anything.

I had a Kelpie when I was a kid. You don't see many of them here in the states. Great cow dog. I think they're right up there with Heelers as being the heartiest/toughest dogs on earth. They can handle anything.

Living in the middle of sheep country like I do you get to see these dogs working all the time. They often have sheep dog trials at country shows as well. I've moved mobs of sheep from here to there, on horseback and with the dogs working the sheep. All I had to do, for the most part, was sit there and watch the scenery go past. They are truly amazing.

Anyway, didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, maqua was showing off his excellent looking knife, maybe we should be talking about that. :)

It is a great looking knife. Can't wait for the next run. I hope I don't miss it.

Cool thread! THANKS!

I love working dogs! Kelpie's are COOl.. aren't they supposed to give sheep the "evil eye"??

In this part of the world Australian Shepherds and Border Collies seem to be the most popular. My granddad used to raise Border Collies. Some of them were crazy smart!

Me personally.... I'll stick with the terriers as I don't have any herd animals.

KEEP it coming!

Tom

In this part of the world Australian Shepherds and Border Collies seem to be the most popular. My granddad used to raise Border Collies.

Tom

OK, you asked for it ...... :)

A bit of trivia for you. There is no such thing as an Australian Shepherd. Well, not in this part of the world anyway, it is purely an American invention. :)

I can tell you the theory on how it came about if you're interested.

This is my Border Collie, 'Tips'.

boh.jpg

Now, back to knife content, how do I get one of those Dingo knives?

Would love to hear your theory!

I am hoping to get a second batch of Dingo's in the works soon. Working on the new A.P.B.T right now.

Tom

Well, here's one reasonably plausible story I heard:

Many years ago, maybe late 1800s or early 1900s, a Spanish cargo ship arrived in America with a load of Australian Merino sheep. There were some dogs on the boat, Spanish dogs, and through assumptions made by those on shore or maybe language translation difficulties, the dogs were mistaken for Australian sheep dogs and thus, the breed was started, existing only in America.

I don't know if that's absolutely true but, as I say, it sounds plausible.

Great pics, the dog may be a Kuvasz too. Good thing he didn't see your dingo, they're not known for having a softer side, unless your a sheep that is.

Thanks for sharing.

Was thinking Kuvasz as well. Pyrs tend to have more fur. Possibly a Maremma. Great pics, and having had a dingo myself for quite awhile now, I have to concur... One of my favorite knives.

Back