Degenerative spinal cord disease and homeopathic pain treatment

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
On top of my weight and broken back, the orthopedist told me that I have degenerative spinal cord disease.

So, alternative woods medicine for back pain. I've also got electric shocks shooting up and down my spine, they're more startling than anything else. Nerve damage is worrisome though.

Several people mentioned tart cherry juice to me, I have been drinking a couple swigs of that every day, this is the unsweetened organic stuff, that tastes like what transmission fluid smells like, and leaves a bitter sour aftertaste. It helps out with a little pain though. I've been doing stretches that PT instructed me to do.

The big problem is that I can't take Motrin or Tylenol, have bariatric surgery hopefully coming up soon, getting ready to play the waiting game with my insurance company after I am cleared for surgery. No NSAIDs after surgery. I have a fatty liver, not from drinking but from bad food. All the pain meds like Tylenol and Ibuprofen haven't really helped matters any. So, while 7grams of sugar in tart cherry juice is not the best thing for a diabetic, I guess it's better for a bad liver.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I would highly recommend medical marijuana if you're in a legal state, or perhaps a CBD/hemp oil extract, which is in a bit of a gray area but considered legal most places. That would help considerably with pain, and inflammation. There is some data to indicate it may help with liver issues and with insulin regulation in diabetics as well.

Physical therapy, stretches, exercise, as much activity as you can manage, and perhaps a bit of yoga are all good as well. Proper application of ice packs for 20 minutes at a time, 3 times a day.

Be aware that a lot of the "natural" remedy market is a free-for all of unregulated BS. Make sure that you are informing your doc of anything you are taking so that they can take it into account. But you also need to be learning about possible drug interactions yourself since most Docs don't have time to learn about the natural stuff, and many natural practitioners are blinded by the idea that 'It's natural, so it has to be safe'.

If you can find a credible and legal source for cannabis, that might be a road worth looking at. Its not a panacea, but the right strain and method might give you a little of your life back.

Try cutting the cherry juice with pink grapefruit juice. I have been using it for yrs for gout. Works well. 2nds on the m.m.. I make a medicated canola oil. I use that to make brownies, or whatever that requires oil. Helped me get off the pain meds after a number of tough ortho surgeries and still works well for sleeping and a pain reduction supplement. At 64, I am trying to go a little more natural with the meds. Curcumin has also helped me with inflammation issues. Fortunately I live in a legal m.m. state. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.--KV

You guys are an inspiration to me. Not the MM, because even if my state condoned it, my work place wouldn't.
I have 36 degree scoliosis that really flared after I had a complete knee replacement. I started "leaning" the other direction.
The cherry juice for pain, intrigues me. How often/much do you want?
I have lower left leg pain intermittently at night only. Would CJ help?
You guys are a Godsend.

You might try black cherry capsules as an alternative to the juice and see if it still gives you the relief. That should cut down a lot on the sugar consumed and you won't have to deal with the taste. I'm always a little hesitant to recommend supplements as, like G gadgetgeek said, they're very poorly regulated, but black cherry seems to be largely harmless unless you really overdue.

Check with your doc, first, though.

Thank you Mr. IM. I have a Reumatologist I see for the back pain for which I take, what I consider, a mild drug. But, just recently regulated. It does nothing for the lower leg pain. If I could find a homeopathic remedy, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
My PCP, does a blood profile every 6 mos, with kidney and liver checks.
I always said if I could take a pill, I'd never undergo a knife. Now, I just don't know anymore.
I'm starting to walk hunched over sometimes and I just turned 62 TODAY!!!

Last edited:
Has anybody ever tried that Quell device I see on TV? Silenthunter?
I think they cost $250 but I see there is a money back guarantee. Does anybody know anybody who has tried one?

I've been trying Kratom, physical therapy and gotten much more mobility, but pain has not eased.

Did you have your surgery yet? Been a while...

I have a degenerative spine in my neck area. Other than the occasional trip to the chiropractor with careful manipulation, I normally experience no pain for now.

Oh, one other possibility I didn't think about is a TENS unit. Definitely ask your doc, as you may just not be a good candidate, but they're proven to have good efficacy, insurance should at least partly cover it with a prescription and I don't think they're hatefully expensive compared to most medical equipment.

Is TENS like Quell? Or is Quell like TENS?
My chiro recommended those hard foam rollers for my back. But those things hurt me. He said to basically try to sit up somewhat while you're rolling your back. It did give me a tiny bit of relief one time only.

Is TENS like Quell? Or is Quell like TENS?
My chiro recommended those hard foam rollers for my back. But those things hurt me. He said to basically try to sit up somewhat while you're rolling your back. It did give me a tiny bit of relief one time only.
I've honestly never heard the Quell before. I went to look at it and, maybe? TENS units are usually a lot less portable than that, but that's points in its favor, for sure.

I know extremely little of the Quell. I think they cost $250 and supposedly offer money back guarantee. But I'm not so sure of that. I'm sceptical by nature. I prolly miss out a lot because of that.

Last edited:
I have degenerative arthritis and almost no cartilage between some of my lower vertebra. I have been lucky that mild pain meds do enough for me that I can function and grind out the constant but lower end pain. As bad as it may sound I am ok with constant low to moderate pain, as I can function outdoors. I have had sciatica so bad in the past the I had to urinate in an ice cream pail on the floor, while on my hands and knees.

Doing aquatic therapy and got an epidural nerve block injection last Wed, did nothing, no relief

I have degenerative arthritis and almost no cartilage between some of my lower vertebra. I have been lucky that mild pain meds do enough for me that I can function and grind out the constant but lower end pain. As bad as it may sound I am ok with constant low to moderate pain, as I can function outdoors. I have had sciatica so bad in the past the I had to urinate in an ice cream pail on the floor, while on my hands and knees.
Oh chit dude, I thought I had it bad, I should shut up and quit whining. How old are you?
Silenthunter, I had two cordizone shots last year in my spine via an xray, they wanted to give me the 3rd and final for 6 mos, I said save it for somebody else. My 1st two ever in my life did squat.

I have some similar troubles, spinal degeneration and nerve damage all over from CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy); the neurologist prescribed a time release drug called Nucynta ER that is the most effective chronic pain reliever that I've tried. Without insurance the price is not affordable at all, but if you have good insurance it might pay for it. Time release avoids cyclical up down of quick release drugs, and also works for people who have had the stomach reduction surgery.

I read a medical journal discussing Magnesium used as a pain reliever. It is inexpensive but highly regarded. There are many YouTube videos explaining their experiences. There are other anti-inflamitories like Ginger, Olive Oil, and I think Apple Cider Vinegar. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Got an epidural nerve block, didn't work, or at least not noticeably.

Went in for an MRI yesterday, that was not fun, but just told them to crank the blues and I thought about the woods, the beach etc.

Get my second epidural based off my MRI in August.

Back