Design contest knife WIP **Complete

Jarrett Fleming

Decided to do a little WIP for the design contest knife. I'm not going to go into to much detail, but this should at least give everyone a basic understanding of how the knives are made.

Here is the winning design. Have you thought about any names for it yet Christian?

First step is to profile the blade

Filing in the sharpening notch

Scribing the edge

This is about how thin I want to go before heat treat

Starting up the grinder

Bevels have been rough ground and then cleaned up to 120 before heat treat (hard to tell)

Next I mark where I want to drill my holes

Holes have been marked and punched

Holes are drilled and then chamfered

Marked where I wanted the jimping

I decided to go with a finer jimping pattern than the drawing. It still serves it's purpose and I can be much more precise with a checkering file

Decided to make 2! Blades are dipped in turco before heat treat

Into the evenheat they go

Oven coming up to temp

After the blades have soaked in the oven at temp it is time to quench between the aluminum plates.
The blades go from 1900+ degrees to being able to handle them in a matter of seconds

Here they are after hardening

After quenching the blades go into my secondary oven for 2 tempering cycles

That's all for now.

Last edited:
After tempering the blades I tapered the tangs. I prefer to taper tangs using my surface grinder

Then I clean up the flats on the scotchbrite wheel

The bevels are taken to the final finish

Time to cut out the liners and handles

The liners and handles are flattened and surfaced prepped for glue up

Scales and pins are cut out

Holes are drilled and handles fitted

The front of the scales are finished

All glued up and cleaned up

This is the drawing Christian sent me showing the handle shape

Handles are rough shaped and finished as far as I can go on the machine

Time for hand sanding

After a few more finishing details, sharpening, and marking the knife is complete

The second knife was finished up as well. I decided to try something new with this one and added some finger pinches.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this WIP. It is always a pleasure to see knifemakers' processes. Someday I'd like to make some knives myself, and it is helpful to see how people approach their knives.

I would have had this post finished up sooner but I left for Trackrock before I had the chance. I had a great time up there with some old friends and also made some new ones. Looking forward to seeing all of you again in the Spring!
Andy snagged the second knife at Trackrock so it will not be available.

I really like the finger pinches on the second one. that is a handsome looking knife.

Yup. That definitely is a winner. Really like the pinch grip on the second...hunter.
Still.no name?
Crystal Ball Hunter as a suggestion. In hand it will let you know how good it will be during its.next use.

Awesome thread! Great work Jarrett and such a nice design Christobal! So cool to see the WIP. Can't wait to see more of these. :thumbup:

Thanks Jarrett .

Some pics .

P11000339c9.JPG

P1100041.JPG

P1100073.JPG

P11000768ea.JPG

P1100082.JPG

P1100053.JPG

P1100044f9d.JPG

Last edited:
Great pictures of a very nice knife!!! Wish we had that snow here in Colorado...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back