Design contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Even though I still have a 5 to 6 month backlog, I'd like to spark some interest and try doing a production run of a mid size knife. Something in a everyday user size around 8 1/2" overall with a 4" blade. I'm not looking at going mid-tech but would like to do at least one design that can be blanked out to cut some of the cost. Similar to the Gosshawk.
What I'm looking for is a SIMPLE USEABLE design. Post your ideas in this thread, pics a must so I can review the designs. If I pick your design, I will make you one at no cost to you. Please be as original as possible. One thing I frown on is copying another makers design.
Most likely the steel will be A2 or O1. Also post your desired blade thickness.
Scott

Great idea.
I've got a really simple design that I'd love to have on my hip. I'm thinking 4in blade 4 1/2 inch handle, 2 inch wide 3/32 A2. Spear point. Should make a good light camp and kitchen knife.
campdesign.jpg

Entry #1 Hopefully it will be #1 at the end!

Last edited:
I definitely prefer a bit of a thin blade, so I'd go for 3/32". Not sure how good of a design this is, but it's about the best I can come up with. I drew it without any size references, and surprisingly it turned out to be pretty much exactly what you wanted size wise.

p1040089.jpg

Hey Scott I'd love to be in on this one buddy but I'm away now for four days, if you could keep it open till then, that would be great !!!!

Hey Scott I'd love to be in on this one buddy but I'm away now for four days, if you could keep it open till then, that would be great !!!!

Will do. There is no rush on this. I want to get as many entries as possible.
Scott

This is what I have, for the design contest. I think it is a great idea and I attempted to be original as possible. Pardon the rough edges; I am no artist! Blade thickness 5/32, other dimensions 8 1/2" overall with a 4" blade.

SG-BF-con-07.jpg

Last edited:
These were originally drawn up for a different design thread so they are a little off of the specified length.

First one, you could always lose the pommel and change the handle to make it fit 8 1/2 OAL. Also I edited out the manufacturers logo I drew on the blade.
Picture024-1.jpg

Second one, A little short but maybe down the road if you need ideas for a small utility fixed blade then here's an idea, :D Oh and while drawing I got a little creative and decided to draw my home town logo I hope you don't mind.

Picture036.jpg

Can I play? 3.75" blade and 8.5" OAL. I would go with 1/8" A-2. :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• Skinner 3.jpg
    Skinner 3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 524
I was kind of expecting more entries. A chance to have a design of your own made by a talented knife maker, and then receive said knife for free, seems like a pretty good deal.

Got 3 for you Scott............ I feel like these need either 1/8" or 3/32" stock. 3/16" could work too though ;)
Wharny
WharncliffeEDC.jpg

Bowie
BabyBowieEDC.jpg

Semi-Skinner
SemiSkinnerEDC.jpg

Last edited:
I was kind of expecting more entries. A chance to have a design of your own made by a talented knife maker, and then receive said knife for free, seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm hoping the others are staying away because they saw my post and know it is the one.:D

Hunter/Camp:Entry one.

Trying to come up with an origional design nowdays is real hard, knowing you are a hunter I wanted to come up with a design that could carry over from hunter/camp duties to food prep around camp. I had initially wanted to post a version of a Roach Belly but as you wanted it to be origional I merged it with a traditional canadian design plus a few other variations that were in my head !

Thanks for the chance buddy !!!!

design011.jpg

Last edited:
Gossman Chubby Chaser:Entry 2.

Please tell me I'm not alone in liking chubby ones !!!!!:eek:

I think this one would be great at slicing food stuff or skinning and should even be able to chop small saplings etc pretty well by choking back on the handle and using a lanyard !

I also think it would look pretty cool bought to life by Scott !:D

design017.jpg

Last edited:
Gossman Bird and Trout:Entry 3.

I tried to come up with an origional looking Bird and Trout knife here but I guess it's a little more robust than the average B&T and so would carry over well for most camp tasks as well....pretty much an all rounder !

design018.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, here's one Scott. I've had this fetish for short wide blades lately so this is one of those. Some notes are scrawled on the drawing so you have some idea where I'm coming from with it.

One thing I didn't annotate is thickness. I'm torn between 1/8" for slicing and 3/16" to make it a compact but brutal little beast. Kinda leaning towards the latter but honestly could go either way with it.

3844284264_26dd3409ce.jpg

Name: El Chupacabra

Last edited:
The GSK or Gossman Survival Knife:Entry 4.

You could do a run of these in different sizes !!!!

design014.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back