Design contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great designs so far guys. You are making it tough to decide. :) Keep them coming. I'll run this until the end of Aug. I may leave the decision up to a vote.
Scott

One more. A little sleeker and maybe less radical than the first. This one would definitely be a 1/8 inch thickness.

3846120004_3728aae3c6.jpg

Name: The No. 2

Last edited:
Okay, I lied. One more :p This is sort of a mix of two things. One is an actual blade I made a few years back and have never put handles on. I lengthened it a bit though as my original version was a bit stumpy. It also is influenced by a bunch of nautical rigging knives I've been looking at. I like the sturdy blades on them but the handles all looked extremely blocky. It oughta be a very tough EDC suitable for zipping open boxes, malletizing for rough carpentry work, hacking hose and cable etc. Shouldn't be bad for general whittling and whatnot either. Only thing you really couldn't do is stick stuff with it but I rarely stab anything these days anyway :D

3845381971_7ffb6dd9b4.jpg

Name: Rigging Knife

I'll quit now, promise! (I think)

Last edited:
Great contribution Tim. You must be reading my mind on that second design. I cut alot of cardboard at Giant and I was thinking along those lines for a work knife for X cutting boxes at work.
Scott

Hello Everyone,

I drew up this design tonight, although I don't have a scanner, so I just took a picture of it with really poor lighting. I will try to remember to scan it at work on Monday so you can see it better--this will probably be my only submission, as I am pretty darn proud of it :p

2qmhu37.jpg

The Forester Plus

Okay, so I guess I should explain it a bit, since it's rather hard to see everything. The blade thickness would be 1/8", because that's my favorite thickness, quite frankly--it's sturdy enough to chop and baton, but thin enough to do some slicing. I designed it with a straight clip point in order to make the point sharper (to get into those hard-to-reach places ;)) without loosing as much metal as a standard curved clip. The curved recess in the ricasso is a sharpened or semi-sharpened section for your firesteel, or for cutting paracord/twine/rope without it sliding on the blade. There is about an inch of filework on the spine for your thumb to grip. The scales would be canvas micarta for durability (and grippyness), and they would be secured by five small pins at the "corners" such as they are, and one mosaic pin at the belly of the handle swell. I personally like having a handle swell that is low enough to give my pinky and ring fingers to really hold on to, but I included a recessed area for the index and middle fingers that has some filework in it for extra grip--the recessed area could obviously be left off for simplicity's sake, it's just a nice addition, in my opinion. I hate having a lanyard come out of the handle itself, so I extended the tang out of the back that has a lanyard hole in it--that particular design may not look right in this drawing, but it flows into the handle just like a pommel, and I like having that support at the base of my hand. The knife is 8-1/8" long, total, with a (roughly) 3-5/8" blade. Hope ya'll like it :)

~Noah.

Last edited:
Holy big pic Noah, LOL !!!!! Looks pretty good to me though buddy !!!!!

This is my favorite rigging knife. I would love this design in a good tool steel, orange handles and no serrations.
myerchinmarlinspike.jpg

Took half the night to get my scanner working.:mad:
First one is drawn to about the specs you want but seeing this with a 3" blade and 3 1/2" handle in 1/8" thick steel would be a killer edc. Name is up for debate, it was the first thing that came to mind.
scan0003.jpg

This second one is from the comment you made about the guy who skinned a boar with a PSK. I just took the design a little further.
scan0001.jpg

Hey Gossman,

I got a design here that you would hopefully like. :)

photo2.jpg

More designs incoming soon hopefully. :p

Last edited:
Here's another. I don't know why, but something about it looks familiar...either way, I chose a handle that was simple but very comfortable (in my experience, this kind of handle is usually quite comfortable) with a blade that has enough belly to do food prep and other EDC type stuff. 3/32" blade, and the handle material doesn't really matter. You can place a lanyard hole anywhere, I don't think it matters much.

knifes.jpg

Took half the night to get my scanner working.:mad:
First one is drawn to about the specs you want but seeing this with a 3" blade and 3 1/2" handle in 1/8" thick steel would be a killer edc. Name is up for debate, it was the first thing that came to mind.
scan0003.jpg

Hey I like this one Shotgun, I'm not a fan of wharnies but this looks great !!!!;):thumbup:

I got two more.
Edited to put a name on it. I'll name the first one in this post...Spear Point for now. I can't think of anything else.
scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

Edit: Oops, that second one is supposed to be straight. I guess I got a little crooked with the ruler. :)

Last edited:
Hey I like this one Shotgun, I'm not a fan of wharnies but this looks great !!!!;):thumbup:
Thanks, I've been thinking about a wharnecliff(sp?) for an EDC for a little while now. I find I don't use the points on my knives very much so thought, 'why not have a knife that was easier to sharpen?'

I agree on the sharpening aspect of Wharncliffes. I kind of like this size.
gossmandesign2.jpg

entry #2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back