Design Opinion: Ancient Battlefield Weapon After Being Knocked-Down

Nothing lasts forever, not even cruel Roman reign.
Teutoburg, Carrhae, Caledonia
[video]

Last edited:
if i'm wearing this:
104ccc5649467a39b010f3ff7e9e523c.jpg

i'll get by with this:
pon-0201-08.JPG

Rondel only? A man like this
SM-F45-01.jpg

will keep hooking your ankles & jabbing at your eyeslit, & leave you running burnt & blind, chasing something in the night
[video]

Last edited:
A rondel, ballock, Dirk, add your variant were back ups not primary. People had eating knives and no doubt someone used one once successfully but a standby scabby thing you could employ at grappling range that was long enough and strong enough to fit through or make a hole, essential.
To my mind these weapons changed dependent one the armour they were pitted against just like the primary weapon.
What you were facing, what your foe wore drove the evolution.

I'd pick that one if I hit the dirt and had to do something about it quick with a blade. :)

Otherwise, in principal I totally agree with JW Bensinger. If knocked down in a melee it's all about getting back up immediately, with the cover of your fellow men-at-arms. Like a mosh pit!

I'd pick that one if I hit the dirt and had to do something about it quick with a blade. :)

Otherwise, in principal I totally agree with JW Bensinger. If knocked down in a melee it's all about getting back up immediately, with the cover of your fellow men-at-arms. Like a mosh pit!

Good choice

Strong cutter

[video=youtube;yBTkMjD5u60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBTkMjD5u60[/video]

The problem with your design challenge is that for the intended user, their problems are effectively that they have just been killed and only a surge of luck will allow them to escape with their lives.

I don't think a different type of knife would be any benefit, the real benefit is to the soldier who scurries away and regains his footing and gear fastest.

The ancient battlefields would have been a sweating, heaving mob at times. To think you would never be knocked off your feet, or overwhelmed by pressing bodies would be foolish indeed. That would be like a modern quarterback who thinks he'll never be knocked down.
All of a sudden, your sword, axe, shield, and spear would be useless. Your only hope is that the press of bodies will keep the enemy from stabbing down at you. Obviously, you need too clear a space and get up.

What would save your life?

There also would be hard imagining that, in a shield wall, men might specialize in crawling under and attacking from the ground.

Here's my idea and why. Let's see who agrees, or disagrees...

9-Custom-Hand-Forged-1095-Steel-Hunting-Skinning-Bushcraft-Knife-Timurknives-_57.jpg

1) I pick a knife, because a weapon, such as I describe, would have to be kept on the soldier at all times. Preferably hidden.
2) It would be about 9 inches long and single edge. Nine inches is the right size to hide under clothing, any larger is cumbersome. I like to carry a knife front-and-center(under the belly button. Thus, I like a single edge, because I feel safer drawing it.
3) The blade would be broad and tapering, with no parallel lines, like a tooth. Normally, I like thin, stabbing knives, but in this case, I would want a broad blade that has no chance of sticking, It would be a blood letter, designed to go in and out, but also able to slash.
4) It would have a reinforced point, designed to stab through boots and up into knees and groins without breaking.
5) Again, I like the 9 inch length, because this weapon should have a blade equal in length to the handle. Nothing handles as well when rolling and squirming.
6) The knife would have a definite pommel and guard. Because I like my thumb planted, I think a C-shaped handle, much like a falcata. Also the bade shouldn't be sharpened all the way down. How many times have we all heard about people cutting themselves in knife fights, yet we continue to see knives with no quillions. I thought of using a D guard, but some experts have opined that they are not good in close quarters. The enemy can force the D down over your hand and do terrible things to your thumbs. Still, you don't want to lose the knife.

Think of yourself as a wrestler. What kind of weapon do you want?

Your assumption that an individual at the bottom of a battlefield scrum would have the opportunity to use a blade to attack lower extremities of standing fighters to create room for himself to regain his footing is flawed. Once down, a medieval fighter would assuredly be trampled based upon the sheer numbers of fighters involved in a given H2H engagement of the time period. Crawling around on one's knees looking for a way to rise is more present day bar room strategy than medieval battlefield strategy.

You're downed in a spear shield wall crush, with only a knife. 2 choices; get an at least 20" weapon (with handle 25") & get to your feet, or die.

Back