Dishwasher?

Is it ever OK to put knives (aside from butter knives) in the dishwasher or must they always be hand washed?

There are some inexpensive NSF knives that are dishwasher safe. Think Victorinox Fibrox, for example or the Dexter line of commercial knives.

It's still better to hand wash and dry any knives, if you can, from an edge-retention perspective if nothing else.

hand wash and double dry as soon as you are finished using them. the chemicals and grit in dish washer soap will dull the blade and damage the handle.

I like to control and protect the edge of my kitchen knives so no dishwashers or drawers for me. It saves my on sharpening time (gives me more time to sharpen my other knives really).

hand wash and double dry as soon as you are finished using them. the chemicals and grit in dish washer soap will dull the blade and damage the handle.
This^^^ the detergent is Caustic! So it eats the food off of the plates......it also eats the edge off of your knife. Restaurants in most states have to use a washer for compliance to health laws . Just take a minute and wash & dry your cutlery by hand!

I toss my stainless kitchen knives in the dishwasher after every use. Two are Wilkins handled in canvas micarta. All are 12 dps with a 15 micro. Seventh Generation Free & Clear with a bit of Lemi Shine Booster. I would rather a knife be run through a sanitization cycle (175 F) than not. I touch up the apex every two weeks or so. They stay sharp enough.

I won't but that never stops anyone else in the house from doing it. I have 2 sets of kitchen knives in the house, the house knives and my knives. Nobody uses my knives without permission and all knives must be hand washed and dried immediately after use. Fail once and you will be relegated to the kitchen knives forever or until you get on my good side again. :)

It took me a long time to bring my wife around to not putting quality production and even custom knives in the dishwasher. I have had to refinish wood handles on a few of them. Gun stock oil works great.

I put all of them in the dishwasher except one non-stainless custom belt knife I use occasionally. My parents had a non-stainless Sabatier boning knife that was abused, neglected and put in the washer for decades. Still serviceable.

I personally go with cheaper knives though. I have a couple kiwis(~5 bucks) that will cut well dull but sharpen up in seconds. I sharpen them every few months. I think they work better then my Forschner and that one is pretty good. I love them. For simple meals I don't believe you need anything fancy. High end kitchen knives are more of a want then a necessity so I opt for ease of maintenance.

My knives are mine and I do what I want with them. Mine go in the dishwasher. I do not have anything very pricey or nice. If I did I would not put them in the dishwasher.

I sharpen when they get dull so the dulling effect of the dishwasher does not concern me.

i use carbon steel knives. they get hand washed and dried as soon as i am done using them. even if knives are stainless, the grit in dishwash can destroy the shine.

Why would you want to wait to have access to your knives again?
When you have a set of 8 plates, there's less of a need for that exact plate. But unless you have two or three sets of knives, don't you need them more often than the number of times you run the dishwasher? Maybe if you have a big enough family you need to run it after every meal.

Sure, put your factory blades that are made to be as bulletproof as possible in there.
And then go open an account on www.dishwasherforums.com. :p

Hello old thread. I have gotten huge chips in knives that have gone through the dishwasher. Therefore I can't recommend any knife in the dishwasher no matter how corrosion resistant it is.

Back