m. wohlwend

BANNED
DIY knife

Paracord it, or handle it

3.5 inch handle

2.5 inch blade

1/8 1095

2012-04-12_11-32-54_44.jpg

Looks nice 'Ol Bud....just don't have the extra $$$ at this moment, I gotta put Tires on the wifes ride ($800) :barf:

So nice, and I would have been all over this in a hot minute except I've got a Snody DIY that's been sitting in my knife box for eight months.

Don't worry guys, I'll be sure to post pics up here after I finish it up!

So, what do you regular fans of Mr. Wohlwend think I should handle this with? It will be scales, I'm not a fan of paracord wraps. Natural or synthetic is fine by me. Will have to wait for inspiration once its in my hand.

-Xander

I almost hit the button about 25 times today. Congrats fast14!

Some colored micarta would look snazzy on it I think, or, as small as that handle is, Stag would be reasonable for it too.

I've got piles of stag, and some smooth antler as well. I have access to tons of bone also. I just got hold of a large walrus tusk recently as well. I need to make some "mycarta" soon, too. There is also an entire pile of odds and ends in the wood cabinet in the shop, some nice stuff too.

-Xander

Blanks exactly like this? or just blanks in general...

I am thinking about making a few available every month. seems to have generated some interest.

oh please do! That sounds like a great plan to me! I enjoy tinkering on knives, can make handles and sheaths...just don't have the know-how to make the actual knife. DIY blades in your great designs would be awesome!

oh please do! That sounds like a great plan to me! I enjoy tinkering on knives, can make handles and sheaths...just don't have the know-how to make the actual knife. DIY blades in your great designs would be awesome!
Agree.

Agreed. Would even pay more for more elaborate designs so let me know if we cantmwork together to create and incorporate some super hybrids

DIY knife arrived today, thanx Mark! My first M.Wohlwend blade, now let the fun begin!

Oh, and Mark marked the spine of the blade for me, looks great! THANX Mark!!!

-Xander

Thanx! I got the shape modified to about how I want it and am working on the scales now. I'm having issues with the scale material as its something I have never worked with before and its proving difficult. Super tough stuff, and hopefully it will work how I want it to!

I'll put up a pic or two tomorrow after work.

-Xander

Hey guys, well here is my M. Wohlwend DIY knife WIP.

I dropped the point a bit, the straight spine just was a little to rigid looking to me. Removed forge scale from the rest of the profile and ricasso. Scales are going to be Osage Orange and pins will be mild steel blued on the ends. I hoping this wood does ok with checkering and doesn't destroy the cutters, it is some super hard stuff! I'm going for 1911 style scales since the shape is similar and the location of the thong hole just adds to it.

Let me know what you guys think...

2012-04-27110311.jpg

2012-04-27110449.jpg

2012-04-27110635.jpg

-Xander

Back