Do you prefer stainless or carbon steel?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Personally, I have no real preference between stainless and carbon steel. I have been well served by both. In my opinion, geometry and the quality of the heat treat are more important.

That said, do you prefer stainless or carbon steel?

I'm contemplating moving to stainless for the majority of my small to medium sized fixed blades, but will continue to use carbon steel for larger pieces. (Swords or large choppers mostly.)

Thoughts?

Stainless for what is used more often. Carbon? The patina is pretty nice.

Yeah, a nice patina does add some character to the blade.

It's weird; I have a lot of clients who will only buy carbon steel knives, and some that prefer stainless.

From a logistics point of view, it's easier if I just stick with one or the other.

Leaning towards stainless, but also seeking more input from users.

I prefer stainless because it usually has better wear resistance but the carbon steels like O1 and 1095 are so popular!

Personally, I have no real preference between stainless and carbon steel. I have been well served by both. In my opinion, geometry and the quality of the heat treat are more important.

That said, do you prefer stainless or carbon steel?

I'm contemplating moving to stainless for the majority of my small to medium sized fixed blades, but will continue to use carbon steel for larger pieces. (Swords or large choppers mostly.)

Thoughts?

Carbon steel should only be used for hard use knives, otherwise stainless blows it out in all other areas so it really depends.

Carbon all the way mostly cuz I make my own blades and the material is cheep and plentiful..
It does rust bad when not cared for had one in the shed for 4 years had some rust but a wire wheel took care of it in short order..
I like how easy it is to work with and it does hold an edge well and easy to get the edge back with a strop..

Back