DOZIER, my advice for him.

I have just reread the awsome thread that has slipped onto page 2. 82 posts and everyone of them positive. If Bob is as busy as I think he is, I feel that the strength of that thread calls for price increases in his full line, $10-25 on all stright knives and $50-100 on all folders. I have advised makers for almost 40 years but NEVER in a public forum before. You are his customers and seem to have his best interest at heart. Tell me and at the same time let him know what you think of my suggestion. I know that the really low prices have been a great part of his appeal. Now that the quality of his work is well known, I think that it is time for him to advance his prices.

Tell me what you think. A. G.

I met Bob and his wife at the LV show four years ago. Very nice people and nice knives.

His prices have increased since then and I think they're priced about right when compared to similar offerings from other makers. For example compare the prices of his small defensive fixed blades to those of Snody's, same ballpark.

Perhaps it's time for another small price adjustment, but not an increase of the magnatude you are suggesting.

I'll tell you what I think.
A.G. I think you know more about knives, the knife business and Bob Dozier than I do. If I were Bob I would listen to you. A $10-$25 increase on one of Bob's fixed blades would not slow me up for a second, $100 on a folder probably would. Of course A.G. you sell a bunch of Bob's knives and you could increase your prices no matter what Bob decides to do.
wink.gif

I ordered a K-1 via Linda Dozier on Feb 21 of this year. Linda told me at that time that their prices had just gone up, but they hadn't been reflected on their WEB page yet, so I got the listed price (lucky me). I don't know how much they went up at that time, but I know that Bob has gotten a lot busier in just the last month since Newt Livesay said he was "possibly the best living knife maker in the U.S." (I think that's pretty close to what Newt said anyway). Bob's lead times jumped quite suddenly from 6-8 weeks to 10-12 weeks in the week or two following that declaration!

As prices go up, makers begin to move from the "users" to the more strictly "collectable" category. Pricing is not therefore just a matter of what the market will pay, but also a philosophical attitude. If you want to see your knives actually being used and in the hands of as many users as possible, you can't just raise prices to a level that only a relative few can afford. "I want what I can get" and "I'll get what I need" are worlds apart. I'm happy to defend the value of the latter and point out the defects in human character that lead so often to the former any time you like...

So granted that Bob's prices are going up gradually as goes the market over all, why do you think he needs to raise them more still? Is he not making a good living from his knives as is? Does he need more money? Another car in the garage perhaps, a bigger garage? Is Linda demanding more jewels? What exactly is wrong with keeping prices in line with that which meets the maker's needs, and still puts product in more hands by keeping it as affordable as possible?

[This message has been edited by matthew rapaport (edited 04-09-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A. G. Russell:
...I feel that the strength of that thread calls for price increases in his full line, $10-25 on all stright knives and $50-100 on all folders...
Tell me what you think. A. G.
</font>

Interesting. I may be missing the big point here, but I don't quite understand why knife enthusiasts positive replies should immediatelly trigger the price increase?

P.S. And how exactly should I feel about price increase anyways, after all either I'll pay more or I'll buy less. Neither one of the sounds exciting to me.

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

[This message has been edited by Gator97 (edited 04-09-2001).]

I don't think a $10-15 increase is out of line. I don't know when the last time was when Dozier's knives increased in price. A small to moderate increase as the market on the whole increases is part of business. However, I think one of Doziers strengths lies in the fact that he offers an incredible value for the money. Pricing himself out of that market might be fairly easy to do, only Bob (and A.G. Russell) would know that I guess. You wouldn't want to find out the hard way, by losing customers. I buy Doziers and feel a certain loyalty toward the Dozier knives and family because of the great personal, down home service and attitude. I'm comfortable with the Dozier's and genuinely like them and their handiwork.

BTW: AG, I have a Straight Personal on backorder, what's the status of these knives, soon I hope? If this isn't the right place to ask I apoligize. It's just that I'm so darn impatient!

------------------
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always Right!"

A.G.;
First I would say we have some problems with the economy, and this type of discreationary
spending is already hitting knife makers. Having a vested interest as a Dozier Dealer, you would directly benifit on each knife sold.Doziers Knives are very good, but there are makers who produce knives in this price range that do good work also.If a large percentage price raise is instituted, then the blades should be finished to a higher quality. Iwould like to see some other steel choices, such as 3V as an option. 3V will out cut D-2 and hold a sharper edge much longer.

Take care
Floyd

My everyday carry is now a small Dozier. I got it second hand, thanks Dan. Best folder I have ever owned but one of the more expensive too. Perhaps not really expensive for custom.

I am not too sure how a 50 to 100 dollar increase will hit on the demand. I only have so much to spend.

I am sure AG is a better judge of these things than I am.

------------------
Roger Blake

Bob's niche is solid working knives at good prices and the ability to produce a LOT of them! I don't think a modest price increase would be out of line for the quality he produces. I would just hate to mess with success
smile.gif

Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Hand Made Knives..High Tech Materials
blackwoodknives.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FWO:
A.G.;
First I would say we have some problems with the economy, and this type of discreationary
spending is already hitting knife makers. Having a vested interest as a Dozier Dealer, you would directly benifit on each knife sold.Doziers Knives are very good, but there are makers who produce knives in this price range that do good work also.If a large percentage price raise is instituted, then the blades should be finished to a higher quality. Iwould like to see some other steel choices, such as 3V as an option. 3V will out cut D-2 and hold a sharper edge much longer. Take care, Floyd
</font>

Floyd: A 6-9% increase in price on Dozier knives would make such a tiny dif in our business that there is no point in even thinking about it. Bob does not let us sell his folders.

I do not think that there is any other maker who makes the same quality sheaths that Bob makes, when other makers puts Bob's sheaths on their knives they charge up to $75 extra for them. I have seen nothing to say that Bob wants to change his knife style (other finishes, steels, etc.). Have you tested one of Bob's D-2 knives against someones 3V blade? I am not sure that you would get the results you speak of. I used a lot of D-2 years ago and was not able to get the results that Bob gets with his own heat-treat. all the best, A. G.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GC:
I don't think a $10-15 increase is out of line. I don't know when the last time was when Dozier's knives increased in price. A small to moderate increase as the market on the whole increases is part of business. However, I think one of Doziers strengths lies in the fact that he offers an incredible value for the money. Pricing himself out of that market might be fairly easy to do, only Bob (and A.G. Russell) would know that I guess. You wouldn't want to find out the hard way, by losing customers. I buy Doziers and feel a certain loyalty toward the Dozier knives and family because of the great personal, down home service and attitude. I'm comfortable with the Dozier's and genuinely like them and their handiwork.

BTW: AG, I have a Straight Personal on backorder, what's the status of these knives, soon I hope? If this isn't the right place to ask I apoligize. It's just that I'm so darn impatient!
</font>

GC: I bet that Bob reads this and if there is a way to speed up his delivery on these knives he will. A. G.

Hey A.G., why don't you just shut up! I like Bob's prices just the way they are.
tongue.gif

A.G.,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I do not think that there is any other maker who makes the same quality sheaths that Bob makes...</font>

Bob does make a nice sheath, but have you ever checked out the sheaths Neil Blackwood does? I have two of them: one on one of Neil's knives and one on a knife by Bob Doggett. Both the sheaths are outstanding in fit, finish and function... and they look real classy too!

Michael

A.G.;
Talk to any knife maker who has good skills and uses an independent heat treater ( Paul Bos etc.) 3V out performs D-2 in most every respect. I have been using a Warlock that Bailey Bradshaw made for about 6 months, and it is amazing. Also be aware, that Chris Reeve will be using 3V on all his one piece knives in the near future.3V will soon be made by Crucible Metals in a Stainless Steel version.Have you tried 3V ? I have owned and used Dozier Products, and have seen the difference first hand. R.J. Martin is using some 3V also Snody, Bailey Bradshaw and so will CRK. Call Bailey at 1-972-381-0558.

Regards
Floyd

[This message has been edited by FWO (edited 04-10-2001).]

A.G.,
As the cost of living keeps going up, many of us have less to spend on knives. Such a drastic increase will most likely show a decrease in sales. A no win situation. Such advice would probably be best kept private in the future.

Paul

Bob's knives can bear a price increase, no doubt about. An exception is the "Workhorse" folder. If that one would go from $595 to $695, only hard core fans would buy it (I did). In that price range you can expect fancy things like Damascus and/or file work to name a few.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited 04-10-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by the4th:
Hey A.G., why don't you just shut up! I like Bob's prices just the way they are.
tongue.gif
</font>

I'm sure A.G.'s point is that if so many people think so highly of Bob's knives, then the asking price should reflect that. There are, as others in this thread have mentioned, makers that make a similar quality product, for similar retails,and that's wonderful. But if one is considered the "cream of the crop", why shouldn't we pay $10-$15 more? $165.00 instead of $150? BIG DEAL! I'll pay it, no problem. At, say, $200(U.S.), it would be cutting into my budget, but there are many knives at this price (and up) available that don't even compare to Bob's. I've seen Marbles for way more!! Granted they utilize expensive handle materials blah, blah, blah, but they are still Marbles.
Bottom line is - Bob is the best at what he makes. I have 82 posts in the other thread to back that up. If his knife prices go up a couple bucks, it will not deter me from continuing to buy from him.
Also, I'm sure A.G. sells his share of Dozier's knives, but I don't think his own profit was the reason for his suggestion.

I think it may be fair to say that the majority of us would not flinch at a moderate increase in the price of Bob's fixed blades. The concern voiced in this thread seems to be at AG's suggestion for a $50-$100 increase in the price of Bob's folders.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Work:
A.G.,
As the cost of living keeps going up, many of us have less to spend on knives. Such a drastic increase will most likely show a decrease in sales. A no win situation. Such advice would probably be best kept private in the future.

Paul
</font>

Paul: You should see how red my face is. I have to tell all of you how sorry I am. I jumped in with out getting the facts. Bob had small increases recently that I was unaware of. His prices are fine. The really mixed response seems to bear that out. It did not slow his orders. If I had posted a couple of months ago I would have been a hero but instead I look a little dumb. Thanks for the kind responses. A. G.

Back