DPx HEST Folder Blade Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not proposing a specific type of fix. That is for the slide rule and shop coat team. I am simply making sure we get those folks who have a gap taken care off. And in the mean time any LE owners get a free tune up whenever they are ready.

Well I gotta say I'm a little disappointed afte seeing the initial pics-thats a big gap! Misprinted graphics on the DP blade (yes-easily missed) but worse yet the blade gap. The gap should have been noticed and corrected by Lion Steel in my opinion during assembly, or during T&E. Hopefully no other concerns arise.

On the other hand I do apprechiate RYP's commitment to making it right. I'm sure he is not to pleased with these hicups either. I will reserve judgement when my RH Sterile gets here.

I've been using my knife for a couple days and the tip sits in the same location as the knife photo in this thread. Honestly, I haven't given much thought about the tip being slightly out of the frame because I've been cutting everything I can get my hands on. When closed, the tip hasn't snagged on anything in my pants pocket or jacket and I view it as a cosmetic issue. Filing the back portion of the stop pin will allow the tip to sit lower in the frame without effecting the open position, but I'm not sure the detent ball will still sit in the detent on the blade. Another quick fix would be to take a very small amount of material off the blade where it engages the stop pin, but again this may effect the ball/detent interface. As RYP has stated many times, he will take care of any issues/concerns we have with his knives. I trust him and I'm going to keep using my knife while he/lionsteel come up with solutions.

Also, someone asked about the rotoblock engagement. Mine was very stiff initially and took some effort to adjust. After a days use, it loosened up and I can activate it with just my thumb now.

Thanks guys!

I guess that's true. Here's hoping mine goes out today.

FYI: The phone number on your website is no good. The operator says its been disconnected.

Are you sure you dialed correctly?

Easy fix if you want to try modifying the stop pin - toss it in a drill. Basically, use your drill as a lathe, and hit it with a file... go slow.. file, check, file check....

Now that I can see the lock is still in a great position, I'm retracting my earlier statement of modifying the blade, and will request a new stop pin if mine is affected by this. But that doesn't mean I'm not modifying the existing stop pin to get me by until the new one is available :cool:

My knife should be here tomorrow according to the usps website. If it has a gap so be it, its the first run of these knives and just like first runs of cars shit happens. I've had to send in quite a few firearms over the past 15 years because of something that popped up after the firearm was released. This happened from a 300 dollar ruger pistol to a 1600 dollar browning cynergy shotgun. Those types of problems where the gun either won't function or could have a catastrophic failure are a lot more serious that a little gap. I will probably get my HEST F tomorrow and be as happy as a kid on Christmas morning and after having played with it for a while I will send it back, let RYP and company give it a tune up and replace a part then I will get it back and be just as happy as before.

I guess I'm just of the sort that doesn't get my panties in a bunch over something humans made, humans checked, and humans shipped etc. Shit happens to the cheapest and most expensive products in the world. If ya don't like it, sell it. Otherwise let RYP try his best to fix it before getting it all blown out of proportion. Yes it sucks to have a problem on a new toy but, that is what warranties are for.

That would make this situation a LOT better.

Don't take the time to change the production versions. Just ship them with the smaller pin and let us change it if we want.

err, no thanks. those of us who are international would prefer to get ours all fixed up :p. I've waited for so long, I rather have a PERFECT knife. I think the handle design needs to be tweaked slightly...maybe in future runs. Is this going to be a one time?

OK, as far as the "stop pin fix" goes.... and please correct me if I am wrong.

In the closed position the ball detent rests in a hole in the blade.

If you use a smaller stop pin the detent ball will no longer rest in this hole, it will go past it.

Thus, no longer providing a firm detent index in the closed position; as it came from the factory.

This is in addition to the "later" lock engagement that has has already been mentioned.

Did you find this to be true 'Whitty'??? :)

Not complaining or griping here.... just throwing out the thought. ;)

OK, as far as the "stop pin fix" goes.... and please correct me if I am wrong.

In the closed position the ball detent rests in a hole in the blade.

If you use a smaller stop pin the detent ball will no longer rest in this hole, it will go past it.

Thus, no longer providing a firm detent index in the closed position; as it came from the factory.

This is in addition to the "later" lock engagement that has has already been mentioned.

Did you find this to be true 'Whitty'??? :)

Not complaining or griping here.... just throwing out the thought. ;)

This brings up some interesting thoughts.It seems this problem may cause a somewhat comeplete overhaul of the knife.May not be such an easy fix as first suggested.

I'm curious to hear how the detent is engaging as well.

Here are some more pics to show how simple this blade alignment fix is. I removed the 3 T6 screws, & the pivot screw only. I then lightly pried apart the G-10 scale and left the rest of the knife together. The stop pin came out still attached to the G-10 scale. I simply ground a flat area where the blade rests when closed. Do not grind to much or the blade will close to far and hit the backspacer. This left the open lock position unaffected and still properly adjusted.

The detent to keep the knife closed is actually a little tighter now and more secure. The knife still easily flips open. The actual adjustment & disassembly took less time than writing this & taking pictures.

This knife is just too nice to let everyone lose hope in it after just a couple days.

Attachments

• DPX4.jpg
    DPX4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DPX5.jpg
    DPX5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DPX6.jpg
    DPX6.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 142
Here are some more pics to show how simple this blade alignment fix is. I removed the 3 T6 screws, & the pivot screw only. I then lightly pried apart the G-10 scale and left the rest of the knife together. The stop pin came out still attached to the G-10 scale. I simply ground a flat area where the blade rests when closed. Do not grind to much or the blade will close to far and hit the backspacer. This left the open lock position unaffected and still properly adjusted.

The detent to keep the knife closed is actually a little tighter now and more secure. The knife still easily flips open. The actual adjustment & disassembly took less time than writing this & taking pictures.

This knife is just too nice to let everyone lose hope in it after just a couple days.
That is a nice fix as long as the pin does not rotate. :thumbup:

As you slowly open the blade now, I would assume you can feel the ball detent drop into the hole and come out???

And on closing the blade it goes into the hole and comes out as the blade goes to the final resting spot against the modified stop pin?

JTC3495
Do you work in a body shop? I like your: "this is America.. we fix things" attitude. But we will take care of anything you want done.

That is the exact blade position. Give me an update after you had a chance to work it.

Give me your tshirt size and knife number on a PM. I will shoot you an oil rag in training.

JTC3495
Do you work in a body shop? I like your: "this is America.. we fix things" attitude. But we will take care of anything you want done.

That is the exact blade position. Give me an update after you had a chance to work it.

Give me your tshirt size and knife number on a PM. I will shoot you an oil rag in training.

I actually own a body shop, thanks.

If slotting the pin still allows good detent engagement then it sounds like the best fix. I know how stressful this can be for RYP and Lion. I'm also in the product development business and SHIT HAPPENS. It's part of the R&D life.
As a favor to RYP, a thanks to the forums, and an apology for trolling for so long... I will offer anyone that wants to send me their pins, I will slot them on the mill for you for free. I'll do 50 or so pins. Mainly for the forum members.

**Oh I will add... Only if this is OK with RYP. I don't want to step on any toes.

Last edited:
RYP.

Is LionSteel gonna fix the problem outright or will we have the option to just have the knives mailed to us so we can fix it ourselves if we wanted to.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back