Eclipse plans?

Sturubu

Gold Member
What's anyone / everyone doing for the big event? Even being the science geek I am, there is no way I would brave the craziness in the 100% line, so we're settling for 93% (give or take).

Who is lucky enough to live in the right place, and is anyone brave enough to make the pilgrimage?

I hope there are some good pictures and stories!

In-laws took the kids to some family that is in the 100% zone. They drove the 2 hours yesterday and will come back this evening. I'll settle for walking outside at work and seeing 96%.

I'm gonna probably do what I do every time the sun starts to get dark. Take a nap! Lol.

Love science but saw a near total as a kid. It was neat. We'll get 75%. I'll check it out and then take my nap.

I'm gonna probably do what I do every time the sun starts to get dark. Take a nap! Lol.

Love science but saw a near total as a kid. It was neat. We'll get 75%. I'll check it out and then take my nap.

The way our weather has been lately, the eclipse will happen right after the afternoon thunderstorm starts...

I'm doing what I always do that time of the day, mountain biking.
I'm north in the 75% range and I'm planning on sitting on this great big sunny rock that I hang out on occasionally.
No glasses so I'll do what I normally do and just catch some rays.
25% of the rays apparently.

93% up here in the greater Seattle area.
I'll be taking my every other day hike around the park.
It'll be interesting to see how the wildlife reacts.
Hopefully that mangy yote I saw last week won't go crazy and attack me.;)

Ha! With all the talk of observing critters and their reactions to the interruption of sunshine I had not considered naps. Now you guys have me worried I'll be distracted by fighting the urge to crack open a beer and start perusing Bladeforums!

I made it home from the park unscathed by deranged wildlife, what a relief!
I was expecting it to be darker at 93% coverage, but it was more like twilight.:(

I did get a cool pic of a tree's shadow as the tree was filtering the light though.
D6TPZYZ.jpg

I made it home from the park unscathed by deranged wildlife, what a relief!
I was expecting it to be darker at 93% coverage, but it was more like twilight.:(

I did get a cool pic of a tree's shadow as the tree was filtering the light though.
D6TPZYZ.jpg

I agree. We were at 96% and it was still plenty bright. Great picture of the tree's shadow.

I live and work in the path of totality. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to prove it, but it was awesome.

When the sun was fully eclipsed and it got dark, the cicadas started making noise like it was night. Then with the first crack of light, the birds were chirping like at dawn. Definitely something I will remember for quite a while.

The tree shadows are pretty cool!

I was out in the Orland area today for it. Spent time fishing with my best friend and two of his kids. It was nice time. We checked the eclipse out at various time using welder's goggles, they worked quite nicely believe it or not.

SWMBO ran a 1/2 marathon today, so I had to travel.
it rained - a lot.
then stopped raining and got middling warm.
the clouds thinned enough I could see the sun through them briefly during the totality period.
my drive home sucked -- but not as bad as hers.
she found road construction and serial auto accidents -- took her 3 hours to travel 70 miles. all told it took her 7 hours to get from Falls City, Ne to Ankeny, Ia.

We had a pretty good plan from the front lawn :) I'll try to get some pictures up soon

I went out to western MO to see 2 1/2 minutes of total eclipse. Absolutely stunning! If you weren't in a place with totality, you cannot understand. The instant the moon covered the last little bit of the sun, everything went dark. The sun then went crazy. It was a dark circle with fire all around it (the corona)(and not the beer). The totally blocked sun was beautiful sight. When the moon finally started to move away from the sun, it was like someone turned the lights back on. It was dusk-like an hour before and after the eclipse.

Temperature dropped about 15 degrees where I was. Like cbwoods67 said - I noticed the change in insect noises. Cicadas changing over to crickets when the eclipse took effect.

I was in York Nebraska skies mostly cloudy but thin enough to see the sun through them. It is everything that Mr Bill and Cbwoods67 said,vary beautiful. You have to be in the path or its just another partial eclipse. Are hotel was full of visitors from around the world, China, Great Britain, Canada, just to name a few. Shortly after first contact an owl started hooting as if evening was beginning. The ride home,not so fun, accident after accident took two extra hours. Must be a lot of people driving that don't normally drive or they looked at the sun without eye protection :) Next one in seven years, if you have any interest its something to see.

Eclipse prep and observation :)

Sam trying out our "glasses"
20934797_2000959573524323_6046664806043333742_o.jpg

Sun, check
20994030_2000941256859488_1193209971978300847_n.jpg

We found it tough to take pictures of I'm afraid
20952932_2001498113470469_6259607080369963962_n.jpg

but we were pretty close to totality
20994343_2001497846803829_7003974808918095947_n.jpg

Rebecca got the best pictures of course
20992846_2001497843470496_918034328293348778_n.jpg

It got pretty dark and "moody" around here while it was going on, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, beats a normally Monday when nothing goes in front of the sun for a few minutes at all anyway ;)

Back