EDC Pliers In Addition to SAK?

of course the multi-tool is inherently a compromise since dedicated tools will always work better for specific tasks, & when a multi-tool isn't adequate for a task i'll go find what it takes from the tool boxes in my vehicle or garage...
having said that, the only multi-tool i carry with any regularity on my person is the leatherman ps4, however this is the multi-tool combination i have in my edc bag...
victorinox rucksack & leatherman juice sc2 + bit adapter & bits
while i love swiss army knives in general, the primary reason i have them around are the saws & the ones on the 111mm vics are stellar, the rucksack is the smallest 111 with a saw...
the juice sc2 is on the smallest juice frame, so you get a decent set of pliers & the nice scissors etc. in a small compact package, both the rucksack & sc2 are small enough to not be a burden if carried via belt or pocket & that is why they are with me everyday...
i will alter this combo for larger kits like BOB etc., or when out for camping or backpacking, to the victorinox outrider & the leatherman rebar or super tool 300 + bit adapter & bits... the outrider has everything as the rucksack plus scissors which makes up for the rebar & super tool not having scissors...

33193852532_25a26ee347.jpg

I never had an original of those, i guess the needed "compensations" after those years was getting all the Vise Grip multitools from the major brands out there (Kershaw, Leatherman, Schrade, still missing the Gerber Grappler though!)

CAM02959_zpscmh6krjm.jpg

Nice collection :thumbup: I like those a lot. There's also a Vise-Grip Toolbox derived from the 6LC.

visegrip-multi-tools-1copy.jpg

The "Legends" set is from 1989 so it's pretty old. The Kershaw A100 is from 1997 and the Leatherman Crunch were from 1999.

Victorinox and Vise-Grip seem to have the same idea as this forum topic. It's a neat set but it's just a standard Vise-Grip and Swiss army knife. So one could easily make their own set by purchasing the Swiss army knife and pliers separately. Probably much easier than finding one of these old sets.

Victorinox-Vise-Grip-1_zps6b1aa1bd.jpg

I'm surprised that more people don't carry a basic pliers. I've decided that if I feel a need to have a pliers with me all the time that I'd be doing that. I've had a few Leatherman tools in past years and while it was nice having the pliers, accessing the other tools was usually a pita. A SAK in one pocket and a decent set of pliers in the other would not only work, but if you needed to cut something that was best held by a pliers, you wouldn't be cussing a leatherman. Not to mention using a screwdriver and the pliers together. Also overall less bulk, at least per pocket.
Maybe someone should market an EDC pliers, something like that might actually sell, it'd definetly be less expensive than a full Leatherman.

I'm surprised that more people don't carry a basic pliers. ... A SAK in one pocket and a decent set of pliers in the other would not only work, but if you needed to cut something that was best held by a pliers, you wouldn't be cussing a leatherman. Not to mention using a screwdriver and the pliers together. Also overall less bulk, at least per pocket. ... it'd definetly be less expensive than a full Leatherman.

WELL SAID. :thumbup: I own a few Leatherman tools, but I won't be buying any more -- ever. It's too easy (and far cheaper) to simply augment a SAK with a pair of pliers in my glove box or backpack or gig bag, etc. I just bought a small pair of pliers for less than $3. Add most any SAK, and you're still way under the cost of a full-sized multi-tool from one of the major makers.

I'm surprised that more people don't carry a basic pliers. I've decided that if I feel a need to have a pliers with me all the time that I'd be doing that. I've had a few Leatherman tools in past years and while it was nice having the pliers, accessing the other tools was usually a pita. A SAK in one pocket and a decent set of pliers in the other would not only work, but if you needed to cut something that was best held by a pliers, you wouldn't be cussing a leatherman. Not to mention using a screwdriver and the pliers together. Also overall less bulk, at least per pocket.
Maybe someone should market an EDC pliers, something like that might actually sell, it'd definetly be less expensive than a full Leatherman.

You've hit on exactly the reason I never warmed up to Leatherman tools!!!

How many times have you had to deal with tightening or unscrewing a screw, and having a semi rusty not on the other end turning and had to held by a plier or small wrench? The Leatherman tool has no way to "disconnect" the pliers to hold a small nut while using a screw driver on the screw on the other end. I tried to like Leathermans, but failed at it.

Last edited:

How many times have you had to deal with tightening or unscrewing a screw, and having a semi rusty not on the other end turning and had to held by a plier or small wrench? The Leatherman tool has no way to "disconnect" the pliers to hold a small nut while using a screw driver on the screw on the other end. I tried to like Leathermans, but failed at it.

This would probably be a big problem for me if I relied on just one tool and didn't also carry a 4in adjustable wrench.
I've noticed that some people view them as an intended toolbox replacement when they're really just a better than nothing option for use in a pinch. This if course is just a general statement not directed at you or anyone in particular ( except an idiotic neighbor I used to have )

When I got out of college, I worked in the field in Texas. My boss carried a very small pair of pliers (like the Knipix pliers). I believe they were called battery cable pliers or something like that. Anyway, he suggested I might do the same. I did and it saved my bacon more than once for car repairs on the road. This was before Leatherman's or similar tools existed. They were very handy. The thing about these little pliers is you can turn a nut with one if you need to and you can't generally do that with a any of the Leatherman type multi-tools.

My favorite small pliers now are the robogrips and I have several sets of the three sizes. I use them often. Now, I don't carry them in my pocket, but they are with me in each vehicle I drive. I also keep a regular Vic pliers based multi-tool in my field bag. But the one that I use the most are the little Leatherman Squirt PS4. I use it often enough that I carry one with me all the time. Usually have a simple two layer SAK with me as well.

I would really miss having the Robogrip pliers with me as well as the little Leatherman Squirt. If I need to cut something in a pinch that a scissors would be the proper tool, I do have that on my Squirt but I usually just use a knife.

You also have the weight of the typical Leatherman multi-tool and I would guess that most seldom use hardly any of the accessories other than one or two. I have a number of pliers based multi-tools and I usually just leave them in my field bag unused. My little Squirt gets a lot more use than I would have ever thought prior to buying one.

...I've noticed that some people view them as an intended toolbox replacement when they're really just a better than nothing option for use in a pinch.
Leatherman multi-tools do not replace a tool box. They augment your regular tools as well as are there when you might not have any other tools with you (as in "better than nothing").

You also have the weight of the typical Leatherman multi-tool and I would guess that most seldom use hardly any of the accessories other than one or two. I have a number of pliers based multi-tools and I usually just leave them in my field bag unused. My little Squirt gets a lot more use than I would have ever thought prior to buying one.

Leatherman multi-tools do not replace a tool box. They augment your regular tools as well as are there when you might not have any other tools with you (as in "better than nothing").

The small keychain size Leatherman's are the only ones I can really see a use for. I do carry the squirt quit a bit, and many of the times I haven't had it, I miss it for one reason or another. But, it's small enough that it can always be there in my pocket. But the bigger ones are just too bulky, heavy, expensive and it's easy to have a real tool kit in the car for when I'm away from home. I think the squirt is the only Leatherman I'd bother to own. Just too handy for fishing on the river.

I don't EDC them , but always have various vise grips along in my small kit . Just almost too versatile - they can encourage sloppiness of not bothering get find the exact right driver .

They certainly don't replace a toolbox , but I know people who do tend to view them this way,

Kinda surprised no one mentioned the VanStall Titanium Fisherman's needle nose pliers.
Light weight, Corrosion Proof ... and "only" between $300 - $400! (with sheath)
I don't carry them either. I can think of a lot of things I could buy for a lot less.
A 40(?) 50(?) year old mystery brand pliers works for me.

Kinda surprised no one mentioned the VanStall Titanium Fisherman's needle nose pliers.
Light weight, Corrosion Proof ... and "only" between $300 - $400! (with sheath).

As my Grandmother always said when I was a little boy, "There's a lid for every pot."

Actually going to re-explore the separate pliers concept because of this thread to see if I can improve on my tool selection. Don't know why Knipex tools are so expensive. I guess for the same reason that Snap-On tools are expensive. Maybe I'm getting too used to accepting foreign made tools.

I keep various sizes of Vice Grip locking pliers around (tool box and so forth), but I find that unless I need the locking feature, I don't use them much anymore. That said I have a small pair of the needle nosed ones that I keep on my washing machine to turn it on and off because the cover on one switch has broken off with time. The washing machine is about 25 years old.

Last edited:
As my Grandmother always said when I was a little boy, "There's a lid for every pot."

Actually going to re-explore the separate pliers concept because of this thread to see if I can improve on my tool selection. Don't know why Knipex tools are so expensive. I guess for the same reason that Snap-On tools are expensive. Maybe I'm getting too used to accepting foreign made tools.

I keep various sizes of Vice Grip locking pliers around (tool box and so forth), but I find that unless I need the locking feature, I don't use them much anymore. That said I have a small pair of the needle nosed ones that I keep on my washing machine to turn it on and off because the cover on one switch has broken off with time. The washing machine is about 25 years old.
I had for several years the same style knob on a Sears AC ! :)

I also carry the Leatherman Squirt PS4 for the pliers. I carry it in addition to my EDC. In a pair of jean, you will find it disappears in the small front right coin pocket. I got this tip (carrying in the small coin pocket) from posts on the forum and it works great.

I have many Vics and LM. My go to if zi have to pick one is the Juice S2. I actually find the tools more usable for jobs than even the larger MT's.

Nowadays, I carry a small tool bag if I think I'm going to do any real work. However, I often use pliers for bending small wires, trying to lift up stuck grates which my fingers can't fit into, and I like the wire snips for those plastic zip ties I don't want to harm my blades on. So if I carry a main MT without pliers, I keep a LM Squirt on my key ring.

I have a little pouch in my bag with Knipex needle nose and cobra pliers, as well as Wera mini kit, Spyderco Cat for rough stuff

I also carry small Knipex pliers everyday but on my belt alongside a Victorinox Swisstool. I switch between the 5 inch cobra pliers and the 5 inch plier wrench.

I don't know what I would do without them :)

Well... this thread had its impact on me... went and bought a 6" quick adjust pliers yesterday at Lowe's. Wanted to look at the Knipex stuff, but they don't seem to carry the brand. It may be a tad long to fit in my pocket for everyday carry, but I know I will use it.

Back