EDC Pliers In Addition to SAK?

Another +1 on the Knipex 5" Cobra 87 01 125. Best pair of small pliers I've used.

Another +1 on the Knipex 5" Cobra 87 01 125. Best pair of small pliers I've used.
Picked up a real small 4.5" Crescent brand pliers today. I have enough to play with now. Seems pretty well made. I have yet to find a store that sells Knipex branded tools.

I carry either a Vic Farmer or Pioneer. My 1994 Leatherman Classic has been on my belt since new. That's my pliers. They're used regularly for countless tasks - cutting wire, pulling cactus needles, splinters, etc

I got a 4 inch Cresent pliers.
These threads make you spend money. Eh? ;) I like the little Crescent pliers. They are good enough for me. Been using them as needed. I also found my original little pliers from about 30 years ago. They were in one of my tool boxes.

For wire cutting, my needs tend to be very short term and small wires, so the little Leatherman Squirt works most of the time. But just this past week I was doing a job that required a lot more wire cutting (and bigger diameter wire) and I actually (yes, a rarity) wore my SOG multi-tool on my belt. Heavy sucker. That may well have been the first time I ever used it. The funny thing was I needed a blade to cut something and I was too lazy to open up the blade in the SOG. Used my SAK.

today's carry reminded me of this thread

d9fAb5i.jpg

SAK + a pair of pliers = the ultimate poor man's Leatherman. :thumbup:

If you use an inexpensive pair of 4-5 inch pliers like for example Crescent or Channellock etc that cost about 8-15 bucks with an SAK then yes it's a poor man's Leatherman.

But pair a nice SAK like a Cadet or Tinker or Supertinker or the one that has the best tool selection for you, with a 4 or 5 inch Knipex Cobra for about 30 bucks. This pairing would be superior to any Leatherman or Gerber plier-based multitool!

Right now I'm carrying a SAK Super tinker with a Knipex Cobra XS both in my watch pocket with enough room left over for a Fisher Bullet pen.

Last edited:
I carry a pair of Stanley needle nose pliers (good pliers no complaints) plus a Klein multi bit screw driver both are carry in a pack that’s always close by that also holds a Huntsman. I carry a Pioneer X in my pocket.

Back