Edge Bevelers - Best of the best?

Hey guys,

Just curious what you guys have come across as being the best of the best when it comes to edge bevelers? I started out with Tandy not knowing any better a couple years ago. Then I picked up a couple Barry Kings which were an improvement. However, my Dad bought some tools from a retired leather worker recently that included 3-4 Don King bevelers and WOW, it's like using a hot knife cutting through butter. Makes everything else I had used up until that point seem like using a butter knife to try and cut paper.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is my Dad let the best ones roll off the table onto concrete and you can guess what the results of that was. I am now searching to replace that beveler with something comparable and would like to know what your opinions are of the best out there regardless of price? A search of leatherworker.net revealed people regard "Ron's Tools" being right up there but I'm wondering if you all know of anyone else I should look at? Thanks, I always appreciate the advice!

I use the Chaft Sha from leather goods japan. They make them in different sizes. I just keep them sharp by stropping them on a thin piece of leather with green compound on it over a piece of thin rod to follow the contour of the cutting edge. It makes a real clean edge for the price.

Last edited:
I've had/have and used all the ones ya mentioned Chad except the Ron's Tools ones and others too. I have had good ones from all and ones I didn't like too. Honestly I keep coming back to the Osbornes. I think a lot of it has to do with how I work and they fit into the hustle and bustle. I sharpen them by using the corner of a buffing wheel and green compound. This will eventually wear them out but they are cheap enough and with years behind em they are easy to replace. I too have had many an edger roll off the bench onto the concrete floor. I've gone to grinding flats on the handles so this doesn't happen. In fact happened to a good Douglas one I had too. Didnt happen to the Douglas I didn't like of course.

Back