Electric shaver or razor blade

Usually a Gillette red tip razor from the 1960s IIRC. I sometimes use an electric razor for a quick not so close shave on the weekends.

I like a beard...but the wife does not...so....

I use an electric razor to trim my beard and clean up the edges, but if I didn't have a beard, I'd use a manual razor for the closer shave.

Wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't shave with a razor for religious reasons. :) I trim the goatee with an electric shaver.

Lather in a bowl + badger brush + straight razor for me!

Disclaimer: I can't grow a legit, full, luxurious beard :)

I use a Wahl electric trimmer with no gaurd every 2-3 days. I have not used a razor in 10+ years.

Smatchet is your answer.

However, my personal experience is that electric shavers irritate my skin way too much. I use Wilkinson Sword disposable razors (I use them for a month 1 1/2 or so, shaving daily or almost, then replace) with 3 blades (I guess). I get them cheap on the supermarket in bags of 12 pieces.

I also shave only in the direction of the hair, not against it. It doesn't provide the nicest softest baby skin touch, but it is enough for me and I don't get ingrown hairs or pimples or anything.

For some reason my hair never cut well with razor. With the right electric, I can shave, but only every other day, or usually less often. If I shave too much with either razor or electric, I get some nasty skin problems.
Or I will use electric clippers.

Hey Mobster. I was also under the impression that electric shaver is faster than razor. Even some of [link removed] supports the claim. But when I myself use the stopwatch. I found razor to be fast and easy. :) Moving on I am wearing beard now.
Ah, now it makes sense why you'd post something so off topic in the GKD forum. It's just another account trying to direct views to "fake review" sites that make revenue solely from being Amazon affiliates, or at least up the search engine ranking by linking from this very active site. I've seen a number of those crop up down in the Maintenance, Tinkering, and Embellishment forums.

Surprisingly there's a personal grooming discussion subforum here that this thread fits better, Marcinek posted a link to it earlier on.

The biggest advantage to electric trimmers is that you don't have to commit to clean-shaven, you can keep your beard intact and just clean it up a bit. A blade means all or nothing and thus is not as common.

My personal views on this topic are simple:

THIS!!!!

The scraping of hair off your face that is there naturally, should be banned. How many bare faced Vikings, Huns, and other assorted barbarians do you see in history? :D

Kind of depends upon how good your facial hair is. I grew a beard once after being out of work for weeks due to major surgery. I was walking down the street and this woman in her car takes one look at me and I hear the "click" of the door locks. That was my last try at a beard. Hasn't happened since :)

Could have been the doors unlocking ;)
Kind of depends upon how good your facial hair is. I grew a beard once after being out of work for weeks due to major surgery. I was walking down the street and this woman in her car takes one look at me and I hear the "click" of the door locks. That was my last try at a beard. Hasn't happened since :)

I could not care less, but I like domestic harmony, so its smooth shaven for me (when there is enough hot water) Although I cannot imagine going back to an electric cheese grater on my face, barely worked when I just just starting to grow fuzz, I can't imagine it now. DE for me thanks, Gillette silver-blues, and TOBS.

I've tried a couple electric razors over the years, but always ended up rubbing my face raw trying to get a close shave. I started out with DE years ago in the 60's, then went to injector, then various disposables, then cartridge razors like the Shick & Mach I. I changed back to DE about 10 years ago because I've found it to be the least expensive & most effective way to shave.

I consider shaving & getting haircuts a complete waste of my precious retirement time, but I do it anyway. Whenever I've tried to grow a beard, at the 3-5 day point, my neck starts itching & I have to shave it off. I've tried growing my hair long a couple times too, but when it starts curling over my ears, it drives me nuts & I'm off to the barber.

I use cartridges like a pleb. The power Gillettes do the trick for me, much closer and smoother than a safety razor. I can't grow a viking beard so this works for me.

Last edited:
Can't think of a single advantage of an electric. They are slower (I usually shave with water only) and require more maintenance.

A few years ago I found my dad's old Gillette Superspeed DE razor--tried it for nostalgia sake, and
cut myself badly! Found a few of the "wet shaving" forums, and never looked back. I really enjoy
the close, comfortable shaves I get using DE, and all the hoopla (beard prep/brush and soap/etc)
that goes with the experience.

Also, it is by far the cheapest way to get a great shave--once u buy a few essentials that are not that
expensive. My fav razors are the older Gillettes--can be found at yard sales, etc for a few bucks.
Ebay is a great source for Russian blades (best cheap blades I have found) razors, etc.

Try it--you will probably like it--

I love my panasonic electric shaver and beard trimmer. They are convenient and fast to use. No more irritations...

Back