Emerson 3 Hole Pattern Pocket Clips

I recently experimented with machining sculpted pocket clips for Spyderco knives and based on those results I carried over the design to include Emerson knives.

My prototype clip in black G10 is shown below in the attached photos...

cNJhKEm.jpg

MyVHeee.jpg

qap1Vcd.jpg

dszNtdl.jpg

Dy0iyY8.jpg

Y7PD3bE.jpg

rA8pMOW.jpg

Although this linear profile design may depart from the iconic Emerson style... I did draw one up that more closely resembles the stock clip for the purists...

lwHK8KU.jpg

I then had the thought to embellish a clip with the ubiquitous shield/cross design so popular with Emersons. If I can pull this off... I will most likely end up doing these in carbon fiber. I tried wrapping a render in some CF however it disguises the carved shield/cross design so I rendered them in plain black for clarity.

Over the next several days we'll see how this goes...

TyKoDwO.jpg

MTpHLcy.jpg

ks7j73T.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice how much? (To be read in Borat voice obv)

Seriously, are you going to start selling these? I think they would do well.

As soon as I get back in the shop and operating I plan to machine the first prototypes of the Templar cross/shield pocket clip.

Need to determine IF I have the capability/tooling of machining that design. It's one thing to draw something up in CAD...

I'll post up the results as soon as I have something...!

I managed to get a quick bit of time in the shop on the CNC...

Here's a comparison of the more traditional profile for the Emerson... a little closer in appearance to the OEM stamped pocket clip VS the sleeker straight lined clip.

HY9qbX7.jpg

MyVHeee.jpg

ib1cECO.jpg

dszNtdl.jpg

nZJBDXx.jpg

8Ibq2S9.jpg
VKr3LBI.jpg

Trying to find the time to fit development jobs between the ordered jobs has been a frustration... but I did finally machine a Templar shield/cross pocket clip. This one happen to be for the Spyderco... but it's such a small bit of coding to create Emerson clips.

lsjz4X4.jpg

I'm still working on some design improvements but I should have something available soon.

Pushing the envelope a little further I went down the Spartan path with a MOLON LABE clip that might have some appeal... the render is of an Emerson clip three hole pattern so these might show up sooner than the Templar clips...

CVRBpUZ.jpg

I did get some time today to machine the Templar carbon fiber clips.

They came out very nice...! Still fooling with some tooling details but I'll lock down the design once I work out a few things...

W8TTc0i.jpg

hf8x6Dj.jpg

I installed one of the Templar Shield/Cross carbon fiber clips on my CQC-7 and discovered that the retention is on the high side as machined. I used the same file for these CF clips as I developed for the G10 but I knew going in that CF has a much higher Young's modulus regarding stiffness... so I need to make the lever force bending area of the clip thinner. That's easily accomplished... just will require a bit of experimentation to hit the sweet spot thickness dimension.

UnhjCcw.jpg

tRL3xkd.jpg

ibrYQpX.jpg

Back