Emerson HD-7 Back in Stock

Good eye.^
I had Reese Weiland make me a wider reblade for my CQC7, for reasons you^ mentioned.

Well mine arrived about 3 hours ago and I'm impressed. I had a CQC-7BW and while I thought that was a great knife, I do feel that the HD7 has (IMO) a few improvements over that one from what I remember.

* As stated, I was surprised to hear that this had the bearing system, as that bit of info was not listed anywhere on the sight. I had heard that the Iron Dragon was an extremely smooth operator from those that have them. When I took the HD7 out of the box it flipped open easily, and even free-dropped back to closed. Again this was the FIRST time I opened it.

* I really like the feel of the Ti back with the G-10 scale. The smooth Ti makes the knife easier to wave without chewing up your pants pocket like the double G-10 version. The clip still provides great retention, but the HD7 is noticeably easier to insert and remove from the pocket.

* Build quality is awesome, IMO. Sutherland mentioned that his had a sharp lock bar cutout. Mine is actually *chamfered* in that area, and is not sharp at all. That might just be that mine was built on a Friday and his on a Monday, but it was impressive that they had that little touch on mine.

* In typical Emerson style there was some lock-stick out of the box, but it's improved greatly to where there is now only a hint of it, and that's without adding any pencil lead/sharpie to the area, too.

* After playing with the knife for about 20 minutes it developed a bit of a gritty feel in one area of the action. I cleaned the detent ball with alcohol and a Q-tip, then dipped a toothpick tip in Kroil and touched it to the detent ball. After working the action a few times the knife was even smoother than before. I've been playing with this off and on since I've got it and would now describe the action as wet-glass-on-glass smooth. I'm talking ridiculously smooth here. And this is not even a day old! I understand that some may think the bearing system was not necessarily an improvement to the overall design, however having owned both, I would definitely say it was an improvement in terms of pure function.

All in all I'd say I'm more than happy I decided to grab one of these. ;)
Great write up !
I have a road house now and love it , also the Iron Dragon and what a dream ! I personally like the bearings there so smooth and adding to lightning fast deployment . I'm liking what I'm hearing thus far on the HD 7 . Trying to do a little reasarch before purchasing since I don't liking buying a knife and having to return it .
Anyway think I might pull the trigger next week on one 👍

Last edited:
On a side note Ive also got my eye on the new aftershock as it's more towards emersons roots and basics .
Digging the Bowie blade V-grind to .

Good eye.^
I had Reese Weiland make me a wider reblade for my CQC7, for reasons you^ mentioned.
Nice.

Would you mind posting a pic somewhere, or perhaps emailing me? I had planned to have Josh do one for me when I can finally afford it. In 17 years.

Thx!

Got mine last night. I like everything but how tight the detent and lock bar are. Hopefully with some time they will get better.

20170218_130742_zpsskwbwfee.jpg

20170218_130757_zpswgsfkcer.jpg

20170218_130848_zps2bluatc4.jpg

Got mine last night. I like everything but how tight the detent and lock bar are. Hopefully with some time they will get better.

20170218_130742_zpsskwbwfee.jpg

20170218_130757_zpswgsfkcer.jpg

20170218_130848_zps2bluatc4.jpg

Looking good [emoji106]
The detent should loosen up I would think . My Zt 0630cf m390 had the strongest detent I've ever encountered . Almost returned it but I liked it so much I gave it some time and it broke in very nicely . I'm so glad I kept it and is my favorite Emerson/ZT collaboration I've ever owned .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After a few days of carry, I am still loving the HD7. I did slightly adjust the pivot screw a fraction and the action is breaking in and smoothing out nicely. The lock bar has moved to 50% and has not moved. The lock bar/blade tang geometry appears to be dead on. I don't believe that the lock bar will move over much more. I've read that chisel grinds are not accurate slicers and was concerned but have noticed little difference from my other folders. The only question that I have is...When will the black blade version be available?

Received mine last week and didnt care for the strong detent so I broke it down and bent the lock bar a bit...now perfect

The biggest thing I LIKE about the HD-7 is the wide blade. Like the ORIGINAL CQC-7!

That changes the entire look of the knife. Makes the grinds pop out, gives the taste a meaner look, and just looks more STOUT, overall.

Its more reminiscent of the 6 blade the entire 7 line was based on.

I'm slowly warming up to tastes, based on THAT look.

Not the slimmer one on the modern 7's.

Some may not notice it, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I want to buy a tanto 7 but that slim blade is just so damned pathetic looking. Also, the higher grind on the HD and early 7's translates to more acute geometry.

Well, I spose they had to cut costs somewhere.

The QCQ-7BW blade is hardly "pathetic". The CQC-7BW is a workhorse, get's the job done day in day out.

I've continued to carry and use my HD-7 everyday since receiving it. I love how slim it is, and slides in and out of pocket with ease. I can easily flick the blade out with either my thumb or middle finger, like a Para2. It's rock solid, I have zero complaints, I'm so happy I jumped on it while they were still in-stock. As for the exposed bearings I'm not in the sandbox, I'm a city slicker, not an issue. You can easily clean it out in the event of sand entering the pivot area under running water, so it's not an issue IMO.

I've continued to carry and use my HD-7 everyday since receiving it. I love how slim it is, and slides in and out of pocket with ease. I can easily flick the blade out with either my thumb or middle finger, like a Para2. It's rock solid, I have zero complaints, I'm so happy I jumped on it while they were still in-stock. As for the exposed bearings I'm not in the sandbox, I'm a city slicker, not an issue. You can easily clean it out in the event of sand entering the pivot area under running water, so it's not an issue IMO.

Thats great news ! Love the bearings on my Iron dragon also what a great Blade . I won't be rolling around in the dirt biting on to a fixed Blade with my folder in my hand or pocket Rambo style [emoji16]either lol so dirt in the bearings won't be a problem and never had been over the years with other knives with bearings .
But unfortunately I missed out on the HD 7 but my dragon has me more then satisfied [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I received an HD-7 in the mail today & I have mixed emotions about it.

I have a CQC-7V that is one of my all time favorite Emersons, it waves better than any other Emerson I have ever owned. That knife is quite a bit smoother than the HD although I'm sure that will smooth up some after about 1000 openings LOL.

I'm definitely in the "didn't want bearings" camp. As far as I'm concerned, that is a great solution for a non existant problem.

Mine is not centered well at all (rubbing on the G10) & the detent is much too tight for my taste.

Both problems are easily fixable, but not what I would expect in a knife that is already way overpriced IMHO.

I will probably fix the problems & then put it on ebay after they sell out.

~John

As requested, here's the insides of the new HD7, plus a family pic of 7's I have.

y3mor0HJGMn-HBddfHWqd2ptNL7HLqQ2Gl64-ErdrTiaG4N0RfOpqngPb0U0NBJkFNP4NCM98XEi4OZ2OQzHeeJoGz-2bUqh0cAcUqjP-5r-qvqGiaZeqNLQzrY7wtlf28oAX0KLogaE99getw-TWfpwNM4OpxUixPxXS0QWkpbl2Q

The one on the far left is a bead blast one I bought in 99 and it was well loved.
The two next it are 2000 models with one being mint and the other was given to my brother as his only work EDC for the past 17 years.
I've sharpened it for him uncountable times and it is still a champ with most of the coating worn off the bevels.
I even bought him a full sized A100, but it is still sitting new in his drawer because he prefers that beat up 7.
And of course the flipper 7 and HD7. The slightly bigger blade is subtle but very nice.

y3mdTUu5tZ_FqPXIefry6vg_QqPiXHOQiUhLk_voG2Nor3tNQB_EKlUBY2mAp0qv8a5dIfEzMAj5DYXPEIR5GA_MSOQ9Q1ZFYTcqOtRbFjfM4RtKaJVH42Wf1dFFpoTWbCpn-3yABXhLq4z6jX1CUPUS16eUJapA_vQPxWamQ9RaGQ

Last edited:
Very nice, harvey!
I agree with the, less is more, adage! Good post, John.
rolf

As requested, here's the insides of the new HD7, plus a family pic of 7's I have.

y3mor0HJGMn-HBddfHWqd2ptNL7HLqQ2Gl64-ErdrTiaG4N0RfOpqngPb0U0NBJkFNP4NCM98XEi4OZ2OQzHeeJoGz-2bUqh0cAcUqjP-5r-qvqGiaZeqNLQzrY7wtlf28oAX0KLogaE99getw-TWfpwNM4OpxUixPxXS0QWkpbl2Q

The one on the far left is a bead blast one I bought in 99 and it was well loved.
The two next it are 2000 models with one being mint and the other was given to my brother as his only work EDC for the past 17 years.
I've sharpened it for him uncountable times and it is still a champ with most of the coating worn off the bevels.
I even bought him a full sized A100, but it is still sitting new in his drawer because he prefers that beat up 7.
And of course the flipper 7 and HD7. The slightly bigger blade is subtle but very nice.

y3mdTUu5tZ_FqPXIefry6vg_QqPiXHOQiUhLk_voG2Nor3tNQB_EKlUBY2mAp0qv8a5dIfEzMAj5DYXPEIR5GA_MSOQ9Q1ZFYTcqOtRbFjfM4RtKaJVH42Wf1dFFpoTWbCpn-3yABXhLq4z6jX1CUPUS16eUJapA_vQPxWamQ9RaGQ
Thank you, Harvey!

Those are some sexy blades. Specially the worn 7 gift and the beefy, wide HD-7 blade.

I'm still not a fan of this new bearing concept, but the looks of it arent indicating the level of severity I had in mind. I would still love to know how that setup stays functional with crap stuck in it.

It would be cool to see the new HD-7 vs anything with standard washers tossed in mud and sand, cutting peanut butter sandwiches, no lube, etc., to see the immediate effects on the action.

I wouldn't directly ask someone to trash an expensive knife, so I'll prolly have to wait 27 years until I can afford my own then I'll do it lol.

But if anyone DOES feel like it, I won't object!

Thx Again!

Back