Empire Knife Company Research

You must have a very understanding wife! I'd imagine there's a museum room in your house somewhere for all of your wonderful collection? My little room where my knives were had to make way for the new nursery, my second is on the way.

Chuck

I'm at the other end of things Chuck. Years ago I built my wife an art studio above the garage!
When our last offspring moved out, I took over his bedroom for a den!
(Good way to keep them out also!:D)

These four knives came from Michael Mirando's collection, when Imperial Schrade was auctioned after closing.
The knife marked C.Mirando was apparently made by Michael's father who came over to help at Imperial for a time. Details are sketchy.
ItalianKnives-1.jpg

ItalianClose-1.jpg

These two are somewhat faded examples of "spotted horn", intended to resemble the more expensive Tortoise shell.
ItalianSpottedHorn-1.jpg

ItalianSpottedHornBladestamps-1.jpg

Venerable old footage, Louis!
I love old home cinema efforts. The self-consciousness of the people being recorded is different from today, where it has become so sophisticated and commonplace.
It is interesting that some of that film was purported to be "professional". We've come a long way.

Dear Codger,
FYI in your company history of Empire Knife, you might like to add that my grandfather, Frederick and his two brothers, Anthony and Dominick also originally from Frosolone, Italy all worked at Empire around 1910 and they eventually started Colonial Knife Company in 1926.
My name is Robert A. Paolantonio and spent most of my life in the 200 hundred thousand square foot factory that they built in Providence, R.I.
I was the only third generation cutler in the history of the company, and have quite a story to tell myself.
If you wish, I'd like to hear from you about the book I am in the process of writing about the family business....My E-mail address is bonfirebob11@cox.net
Thank you sir.....

Wayworth, I'm on the west coast in N.W.Washington. I just bought at a knife/gun show an old empire. It has sterling handles with a stamped grasshopper or locust on each side. Tang stamp is EMPIRE
WINSTED
2nd blade stamped EMPIRE No. 35(?) Approx. 3 inches long 2bld. blades open same side opposite ends. Any ideas on age? You seem like the guy to ask as your collection is awe inspiring. Thanks for your time, Kevin

Can you post a picture of the knife, and perhaps a close-up of the tang stamps Kevin?

Thanks, Codger, for digging up the Empire info.
Many of you have seen this before, but I'll show it again for continuity of subject. My friend, who lives in Winsted, CT, the home of Empire spent many years putting this display together, and when I expressed interest, he sold it to me. It is constantly being upgraded, by both of us, and will be displayed in Oregon in April.
If you haven't been there, you must try to make it; it is currently the biggest exclusively knife show in North America, with 470 tables, with more possibly added this coming show. If the Bowie collectors come, it will be around 530 tables. My CT friend said it's the best show he's been to in years, for finding old, rare cutlery, and he's been to a lot of New England shows!
So here's the display; a replica of an 1880's exhibition display, with, of course, real old Empire knives!
EmpireDisplay.jpg

If you have information, knives, pictures etc. I am compiling for an article and/or book on the subject, so please don't be shy!!

Hi,
I have a velvet covered box with 6 silver plated knives in it. On each knife it says Empire Knife Co 12. What are these knives for, dinner maybe? Is there value to these? It looks like they stay open and do not close.I don't know how to insert a photo. Any information would be great, Thanks, 63swc

Last edited:
63swc, if you send me photos, I can post them for you.
Click on my name above for my email.

Empire was also one of the largest maker of skeleton knives. This is a pic of one with 14K skins.

ebay314.jpg
I recently came across this Knife but the engraving differs. There is an R and a +B. Does anyone have any information that may indicate if this is from The Empire Knife Co or perhaps a replication?

Back