• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ernie with Blue Lightning Stencils/custom knife maker - bad experience

Old thread but I saw the title and had to respond... Few years ago I had the same experience with this dude. I believe he's a little manic depressive or something

Got some stencils from him about 5 years ago. They have lasted me this entire time and just started to wear out. They have been awesome, and etched hundreds of knives. Placed another order a few months ago,
And the stencils I got are noticeably thinner and more fragile. I have the same machine, solution and do the same process, but these new ones are absolutely fried after the first couple etches. Not sure what is going on.

All the stencils I have ever purchased came from Ernie, and they have always been great. Seemed like a nice guy when we spoke as well.

Perhaps he does have some personal issues going on. Kind of odd for someone to do a 180 like that.

Thanks guys, yes I have already contacted TUS and gotten an initial email back from them. Looking forward to it!

Knife, you are correct in that there are always 2 sides to any story, I just recently got out of law enforcement after being in it for about 10 years (to go full time into my sharpening business!) so I definitely know what you mean! That's why I said he may have just been having a bad day or something.
I am planing to go full time as a maker soon. I would like to add some income during the startup. How is the sharpening business working out? Is it a good avenue to pursue? I have the skill level I just don't have a feel yet for how to structure the business end. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back