ESEE 4 vs BRKT Bravo 1

Lenny

Gold Member
Hopefully this hasn't come up before.
If it has, I apologize for being lame and not using the search function.
Anyway, I'm looking for comparisons/contrasts between the 2.
Which would make the better general purpose/camping/survival knife?
Thanks all,
Lenny

Since this is the ESEE sub-forum, the replies may be a bit biased. However, between the two I would prefer the Bravo 1 myself. Superb ergonomics, your choice of steels (A2 or stainless), convex grind, an endless choice of handle material, and a lifetime warranty. What's not to like? I have a Gunny in A2 (the Bravo 1's little brother) and it is an awesome knife.

It’s been asked before I’m sure, but it’s a fair question. Both great knives.

I started listing pros and cons, but honestly, either one of those blades will serve you very well. Couple of points:

The ESEE-4 has a better sheath in my opinion. The Bravo sheath is pretty limited in carry options.
The Bravo fills the hand better due to its handle design and rounded shape, but that’s user preference.
Many people loath the “ramp” on the spine of the Bravo. I don’t care for it personally.
Obviously, the ESEE is a little more than half the cost of the Bravo and is backed by the best warranty in the industry.

Again, two great knives, no doubt about that.

OK, I did a little more searching.
Here's what I found:
Bravo 1:
- more $
- very thick blade, probably not as good a slicer
- convex grind; either full height or partial (even though everybody says they're great slicers, & easy to sharpen, I'd rather stick with a regular V grind
- A2 steel seems to be great; but is it better than 1095?
- as stated before, tons of handle options, and great feel
- you can order some of the handle designs without the thumb ramp, or I also read that you can ask BRKT to just grind it off (kinda doesn't make sense; why would they only offer some handle options without the ramp? All they're doing is slapping on different handle slabs to the same knife??)
ESEE 4:
- super bargain for a great knife
- more versatile sheath
- smaller handle so it should fit my smaller hands better
- awesome warranty, as does the BRKT

In the end, I'll probably buy an ESEE 4, and something else with the savings over the Bravo 1.

Just a thought; wouldn't it be great if ESEE offered a few more handle options?
Just sayin;)
Lenny

We rib Jeff about that all the time.

It seems it comes down to the work involved in handling more variations of product. For example, if there were 6 handle materials instead of 3, there are new SKU numbers for those 3 handle colors in: knife only, plain edge, serrated and both edges with and without molle back. See where it gets cumbersome?

BRKT has a lot of variations of handle material, but the only factor is handles. Not sheath system, edge, etc, etc.

I've both...and while they are similar in size, to me they are don't really fit into the same niche...for me. The ESEE 4 feels more light and nimble in the hand, while the Bravo is a brute (not a bad thing for some applicatons).

Both are great knives, but between the 2, I most often grab an ESEE-3;)

I have both. I like both. I hated the ramp on the B-1 so I had it removed. While I like the handles on the B-1 better than the standard 4 handles, I just bought the field handles from TKC. These handles make it a completely different knife.I can see the 4 moving way up my list of knives that are regular users. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone that has several Bark Rivers and is a regular over on the other forum. I love the B-1 but plan on getting another with the handles from Dale.

A2 is generally considered to be tougher than 1095 but then I've esee's heat treat allows it to punch above it's weight. On the slicing side the bravo1 has a very fine edge probably thinner than the esee4 despite the fact it's spine is much thicker. This is the beauty of a true convex grind. I didn't care for the standard bravo1 sheath so I got the leather one. The bravo1 is also a tank so they are very different knives really.

Given the price difference and the fact one is hand made I'm not sure this is a valid comparison beyond blade length.

Back