ESEE-6 sheath... Kydex?

... Or is it still being made in plastic?

Been looking at this knife for awhile now but the plastic sheath always stops me from pulling the trigger.

Can anyone help here? If plastic, have you replaced it? How "hardy" does it feel?

the sheath on the 6 is still plastic. I feel that it is very sturdy and will hold up to abuse... if you have any problems with it breaking I'm sure that the fine folks at ESEE will have no problem with taking care of you...

I'd like to say before anything that I don't have any experience with kydex. I'm pretty new to the knife world, and before my two ESEEs, all I had was nylon and my ESEEs are in plastic. But the molded plastic sheaths I've got seem plenty tough. On the six it has a little bit of flex to it but it doesn't seem to be fragile or anything. I like it.

I've been carrying and using the plastic sheath for a couple of years now. Its tougher and more durable than kydex. It takes heat and cold better without loosing retention. Kydex will loose retention in extreme heat and will snap in extreme cold, the injection molded plastic will not.

When you add the molle back and pouch you have the most effective and usable sheath I've ever seen.

take it easy
cricket

The plastic sheath is well made. If you still need kydex you can pick up a shotgunner sheath.

Molded sheaths are far better than Kydex. They only reason all of our sheaths are not Kydex is becasue of mold costs.

Thanks for the correction. I'm having a fight right now and wasn't thinking.

I wouldn't trade the molded sheath for a kydex one if you payed me! ...Well...depending on the amount, at least. :p

But in all seriousness I love the thing. Great retention and better temperature stability/impact resistance. :thumbup:

This was taken in about 15-20 degree weather. The molded sheath was great. Everything I had in kydex, not so much. They lost all "springiness" for lack of a better term. Was worried about cracking them up. Mold, no problems at all. I've beatn these things up for over a year now with no issues. I dunno why people think kydex is some kind of super material. It's just easier to form...

web.jpg

But but but the plastic leaves marks on my pretty handles! I might have to take them off to clean it properly before I go throwing it at things.

:D

Back