Ever used fossil coral?

Hengelo_77

Basic Member
Somebody offered me fossil coral knife scales (from Indonesia)

Has anybody ever used this material?
Can it be used as is of should it be stabilised?
It looks good, how does it hold up?

There are two types of fossil coral knife scales. One is either re-constituted or filled with a resin, and the other is natural slabs. The natural stuff is usually stabilized with some sort of resin. While it is used from time to time on a knife, it isn't a good handle material in my opinion. I have mostly seen it used on folders.

A photo would help.

It's been offered for a friendly price, my guess is that it is not stabilised then
I like the looks of it but I am not getting more to-do projects around knife making

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Pair-Natural-Fossil-Coral-Stone-Blank-Knife-Handle-Scales-Pistol-Grip-Q198/162554753255?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=34158dd67343449a9522e2d027358f4e&pid=100290&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=162554770760

Get it stabilized, most of what I've seen is extremely brittle otherwise, and in some cases, still so. Although the stuff I'm referring too is pretty porous, and I think is brain coral? The stuff you're showing looks different, and maybe much more mineralized, and more similar to working gem/stone material.

I think it's really beautiful material in general, and that is some of the nicest stuff I've seen. Don't see it used that often on knives, but I think it's because the sources have been somewhat inconsistent, and nobody has managed to popularize it.

If it's really dense and heavy because it's highly mineralized, it won't need to be stabilized, but I'd test a corner for durability, maybe try pinching the corner hard with pliers to see if it crumbles, or cracks. The stuff I've seen, could be easily cut with a bandsaw, but this may require a diamond saw.

I failed to add that the fossil stuff won't stabilize like natural coral. It is basically a quartz type material. You can soak it with thin CA from all sides and let it soak in. That will fill any cracks and pits.

Polish like stone by sanding to a very smooth finish. Take it to 2500 grit by wet sanding ( best done by hand) and then go through the colors with 3M polishing papers. Don't let it get hot in any grinding or sanding.

It comes in a zillion patterns and is as described above for working purposes. i have several scale sets on hand but don't care to use them. Charles Turnage the ivory man did have lots on hand and would often list some for sale.
Frank

I few years back, I talked to one of the Florida Guild guys, perhaps Don Lozier. IIRC, he said you treat it like stone.

Back