Everything is a Learning Experience...

NOTE: All pictures are at the bottom in a link.
Well as I had posted in a previous thread, I love smelting. I had a previous attempt using a small European style furnace where I used forge scale as the ore. This worked out pretty well so, undaunted and thinking it would be easy (it wasn't), I went on and wanted to try smelting tamahagane style material.
So let's start with the furnace. I made a 2ft by 1.5 ft Japanese style tatara made from clay bricks and a clay, sand mixture for mortar. Here are some pictures from the building process.
I made sure to make angled walls on the bottom of the furnace like the traditional one.
After 2 weeks waiting for the iron powder to arrive I can finally start.
I used 20lbs of iron powder and mixed in 4 pounds of silica sand to give it authenticity(probably first mistake).
After 4 charges of the furnace I realized the iron powder was just sitting at the top? It hadn't began to sink down like the last time I tried, even after I charged the furnace with charcoal. Here are some pictures from the smelt.
One of the pictures is the grain structure of the material I pulled from the furnace after it was over. All garbage. I couldn't find a single usable piece of steel in the entire furnace.
Here are some of the mistakes I think I made
1. To little time for smelting (1 hour 20 minutes)
2. Not a high enough temperature
3. Furnace was not deep enough?
4. Added sand to iron powder

So now I don't know what I did wrong and I need advice. Help meeeee!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B10atYryAAxwVFpyQ0hGYmFUSEk

Last edited:
I'm no pro, but it looks to me like you weren't nearly hot enough for long enough. Much higher heat for much longer.

I'm no pro, but it looks to me like you weren't nearly hot enough for long enough. Much higher heat for much longer.
After thinking about it I do believe that was the issue. I'll try again soon and smelt for longer with a higher temperature.

Back