Experimenting with Sculpted Pocket Clips...

I've been heavily involved recently with the design and machining of full length carbon fiber back spacers for the CRK small Sebenza and Insingo knives. One member that purchased one of my back spacers posted some nice photos of his back spacer installed on his knife. The picture was of the clip side and he had a really nice looking sculpted pocket clip. I inquired where he got the clip and was told it was a MILLIT Knives product.

So... I thought to play a bit and see if I could machine a sculpted pocket clip for some of the production folders I machine scales for... primarily the Spyderco knives.

After creating the G-code file I needed to actually mill one so I can get a better handle on form and function and material capabilities... i.e. carbon fiber and G10.

The photos are of the MK1 prototype machined in black G10 and installed on a Delica/Lil'Para.

Right off the bat it is apparent that the pocket clip is much too tall or thick. The demonstrated G10 stiffness is such that I'm thinking I can reduce the thickness by 35-40%. I also need to address the relief chamfer at the clip tip for easier catchment of the pockets fabric edge. Retention strength isn't lacking... in fact it is overly strong.

Other than that... I think the idea and design is worth pursuing. More as it happens...

9Oqj789.jpg

94mAZGY.jpg

HGd1IZ5.jpg

9ql4m9Y.jpg

974YV1O.jpg

WWT6jri.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking pocket clip (and delica)! Thats one thing the knife world can never have enough of, great looking pocket clips.

Nice work. I agree that could be well worth pursuing and I would be interested in putting something like that on a couple of my folders. The sculpted G10 look is quite appealing.

I have previously tried a flat CF clip (on a BM 940-1) and it just didn't have the stiffness I wanted. Something like your sculpted clip in CF could be much better. Do you intend to make them only in Spyderco hole pattern?

Do you intend to make them only in Spyderco hole pattern?

IF I can come up with a fully functional product... one that works identically to or better than the stock clips... I can see myself porting the design over to additional manufacturers models...

Now to answer the unasked as yet question... I run a high speed spindle based CNC and I cannot machine metals. The rpms are entirely too fast for metal work.

Looks good..

But how does it feel in the hand??

Hot spots?

Haven't got to the point where I can evaluate ergos as yet. The MK1 was altogether too thick... by that I mean it stands off of the scale much farther than needed. I used G10 and not having a handle as yet on the flexural & strength characteristics I over engineered it. I'll thin the next one by about 40% and that will greatly reduce the profile height. THEN I'll look at the ergos...

Since you have some experience apparenly with g10 or carbon fibre clips is it ok if I ask a couple questions?

I have seen g10 clips showing up on a few production knives lately. The one in particular I had in mind is the Stedemon Shy IV. The g10 handled model also has a P shaped g10 pocket clip. As in if you looked at the pocket clip from the side it isnsort of P shaped. If you imagine the stick of the P is the tine of the pocket clip and the round part of the P is the part of the clip that reaches to touch he scale.

Anyway ny question is, how do you think it would hold up? What I'm saying is if the tip of that g10 clip got caught on something which caused the clip to bend do you feel like it would snap? I feel like g10 will snap easily under that kind of flexing pressure. I think when I look at the design of your clips they look better designed.

I saw tests where someone tried to break big pieces of g10 and carbon fibre. The g10 broke more like hardened plastic which snapped. The carbon fibre broke very much like wood.

Anyway just wanted to ask your opinion. Would the seemingly tather thin section of G10 that makes up the tine of the clip break easily under some torque?

My experience with G10 is that generally... it is a very stable, strong, and stiff material. Just my opinion... but given the short section arm for use in a pocket clip application I just can't foresee snapping that clip arm off. The force required would be considerable and it would also need to come from primarily one direction... that would be a levering force applied at the tip. There are always exceptions... but I think you would see something else fail before the clip snapped.

Steve

With the Nascar race postponed yesterday I went out and machined several more iterations of the G10 pocket clip... tweaking the design parameters with each one machined and tested.

I believe I have now landed on a serviceable product. The MK1 prototype was greatly overbuilt. I ended up reducing the height/thickness by 50%... and the clip arm thickness by 40%. That was a surprise... I knew G10 was strong and stiff but this is the first time I have needed to tailor the flexural characteristics for an end result. As it stands now... this is clip number 5 and I think it looks great, feels great in the hand, and has great fabric retention.

Now I need to get one onto someone else knife and into their hand for some feedback.

oc3g6eM.jpg

vFHAJUw.jpg

Nntv9lu.jpg

tB0Ompz.jpg

cLY4aH7.jpg

Irwh28k.jpg

kJfYGUl.jpg

2rpb8jG.jpg

EtuWGB0.jpg

5U3gBMH.jpg

With the Nascar race postponed yesterday I went out and machined several more iterations of the G10 pocket clip... tweaking the design parameters with each one machined and tested.

I believe I have now landed on a serviceable product. The MK1 prototype was greatly overbuilt. I ended up reducing the height/thickness by 50%... and the clip arm thickness by 40%. That was a surprise... I knew G10 was strong and stiff but this is the first time I have needed to tailor the flexural characteristics for an end result. As it stands now... this is clip number 5 and I think it looks great, feels great in the hand, and has great fabric retention.

Now I need to get one onto someone else knife and into their hand for some feedback.

oc3g6eM.jpg

vFHAJUw.jpg

Nntv9lu.jpg

tB0Ompz.jpg

cLY4aH7.jpg

Irwh28k.jpg

kJfYGUl.jpg

2rpb8jG.jpg

EtuWGB0.jpg

5U3gBMH.jpg

Looks good Steve! I'd do a review for you for sure!

Jonny... I had you in mind for just that...! I'll get one in the mail to you this week.

The only issue is the need for longer screws to mount the clip. I have some T5 .250" long 2-56 stainless but they are really crappy. The head socket strips easily if you aren't careful. I also have overly long black oxide Phillips 2-56 screws... they would need cutting to length.

I'll include some of both...

Steve

Jonny... I had you in mind for just that...! I'll get one in the mail to you this week.

The only issue is the need for longer screws to mount the clip. I have some T5 .250" long 2-56 stainless but they are really crappy. The head socket strips easily if you aren't careful. I also have overly long black oxide Phillips 2-56 screws... they would need cutting to length.

I'll include some of both...

Steve

No worries, I have bags and bags of screws I've accumulated over the years. I'm sure I can find 3 matching ones that are the correct length and thread pitch. Thanks again!

Very interested as well and just wanted to say i think it looks fantastic. Great work and consider me in when the time comes.

Back