Fällkniven S1 Fail Video

Wait. You're hopelessly lost or too injured to make your way out and you're watching a video?

Wait. You're hopelessly lost or too injured to make your way out and you're watching a video?

Of course not.
What I am saying is that what I would be doing in a survival situation would make a very boring video.
If anyone were there recoding it, which would not be the case.

It makes a better anvil than hammer. If you use a baton to strike the tang protrusion you can drive the tip in with force. Fallkniven even said on their forum that the pommel wasn't a great hammer and recommended using it only in the aforementioned way.

Knife pommels make crappy hammers for anything but light hammering tasks. If you miss you could potentially hit your hand. That said I used a knife pommel yesterday to crush some ramen for my niece. The tang protrusion on the fallknivens is very useful, but it isn't a real hammer.
From what you say - and Fallkniven says -its not even a pretend hammer, any more than it's a pick.

The video is anecdotal
She breaks a knife by abuse
But you have no idea how any other knife would hold up

The man in the ski mask that videos the destruction of knives
At least he has a set of criteria for his testing knives to failure
With him you can compare how knives fails,
Not "I did survival and broke a knife"

She needs to just make a baton out of wood and quite beating on knives with rocks. Hmm! maybe she should make her knives out of rocks to begin with. If you beat on anything enough with rocks your most likely going to break it eventually.

I used to own the F1. It chipped continuously on just simple whittling tasks. It even chipped when I cut pineapple with it. It had uncomfortable squared handle too.
And yea, even though I don't like batoning and chopping with knife, I would never recommend fällkniven for anyone who I consider my friend.
I have never had problems with steels such as 1095 with similar use... ever!

E
I used to own the F1. It chipped continuously on just simple whittling tasks. It even chipped when I cut pineapple with it. It had uncomfortable squared handle too.
And yea, even though I don't like batoning and chopping with knife, I would never recommend fällkniven for anyone who I consider my friend.
Every time I think about getting a falk I remember all the stories I've heard like this.

In real life people don't like constantly repairing tools so they will use what works without breaking. By that I mean, I wouldn't use many of Lilly's methods because they damaged the tool unnecessarily.

I absolutely agree with this. Also I dont want to get personal but jm2c - shes doing it just for the clicks. Her vids are a little bit annoying. Just hidden product placement(even when its only her chanel) .

Last edited:
A safe statement. Akin to "wherever you go. there you are." Not quite "Wherever we is, US is."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mindbloggling/201405/the-hidden-meaning-it-is-what-it-is
You can use it for whatever you want, but a knife pommel is not a ball peen hammer. It seems kind of silly to me to think of the Fallkniven pommel as anything other than a sub-optimal hammer of opportunity.
It had uncomfortable squared handle too.
I agree the F1, S1, and A1 rubber handles are terrible. The H1 handle on the other hand is decent, though I did find the blade excessively thick.

It's not the only Youtube video showing the exact same thing. You keep hearing about Fallknivens doing this, and people keep making excuses for them... Bark River grounds them thinner, also convex, and you don't hear the same amount of complaints. Fallkniven failures could be an occasional thing: Maybe some are OK, but there is a recurring problem, and the Kraton handles have these thin areas that are badly designed anyway... The plastic sheath also looks horrible and ill-designed... Why bother.

Gaston

It's not the only Youtube video showing the exact same thing. You keep hearing about Fallknivens doing this, and people keep making excuses for them... Bark River grounds them thinner, also convex, and you don't hear the same amount of complaints. Fallkniven failures could be an occasional thing: Maybe some are OK, but there is a recurring problem, and the Kraton handles have these thin areas that are badly designed anyway... The plastic sheath also looks horrible and ill-designed... Why bother.

Gaston

How many Fallknivens have you actually owned/used in order to form this opinion? I'm curious.

Wait. She complains that she wants a steel that is easier to sharpen, but she never sharpened this knife. Huh? Also, she finds convex edges harder to maintain in the field, but she never maintained the edge on this knife. Huh? And she whacks off little shells from a rock, and complains that it chews up the rubber. Why is she whacking little shells off the rock?

I didn't watch the video, but I do know about tip loss on Fallkniven blades.

My A1 lost its VG10 tip (about 1.5mm, 0.06") when it hit embedded grit in some driftwood I was cutting up for a fire. It didn't actually take much force and I was quite disappointed. I certainly wouldn't say I was abusing the knife, for once. I reground it to have a more obtuse tip.

I bought a used TK2 which has become one of my favourite small knives. That arrived with the top missing, just like happened to my A1. Again, a regrind to a slightly more obtuse edge has helped. I have used the tip to bore holes in wood since, with no issues.

I still like and use my Fallknivens, but I always keep in mind the relative fragility of the tip compared to my other knives. The edges of them have never suffered any damage but they haven't hit anything other than wood (including the occasional knot).

How many Fallknivens have you actually owned/used in order to form this opinion? I'm curious.

I owned the Fallkniven Odin. It was decently sharp, no chipping noted, but I never heavily used it because the handle seemed very slippery and unsecure.

The Convex edge proved a little harder to restore, and got somewhat duller quicker as a result (as usual with Convex edges), but it was ground much thinner at the edge than the SMIII Trailmaster, so it was a better knife...

The Fallkniven beige leather sheath was of some kind of diamond hard, super dry/super thick leather, and never stopped doing these absolutely amazing scratches all over the blade. The soft sides to the Fallkniven laminated steel was probably the root cause (The Cold Steel Nylon sheath on the SMIII Trailmaster was much gentler on scratching)... The Fallkniven pommel snap was also stupid in that it allowed the blade to come out three inches or so... I promptly got rid of the knife. The new black sheaths have cross-guard snaps, and so are much better: Avoid the beige sheaths...

Generally the impression was of good materials with careless or untested design, especially the grip and sheath.

One favourable thing I learned from this knife was that extremely thick sheaths actually ride better inside the pants, which led to the wrapping of 10-15' of 550 cord (over a thermal blanket) around my other sheaths, plus the two socks instead of just a soft padding cloth against the skin.

Gaston

I owned the Fallkniven Odin. It was decently sharp, no chipping noted, but I never heavily used it because the handle seemed very slippery and unsecure.

The Convex edge proved a little harder to restore, and got somewhat duller quicker as a result (as usual with Convex edges), but it was ground much thinner at the edge than the SMIII Trailmaster, so it was a better knife...

The Fallkniven beige leather sheath was of some kind of diamond hard, super dry/super thick leather, and never stopped doing these absolutely amazing scratches all over the blade. The soft sides to the Fallkniven laminated steel was probably the root cause (The Cold Steel Nylon sheath on the SMIII Trailmaster was much gentler on scratching)... The Fallkniven pommel snap was also stupid in that it allowed the blade to come out three inches or so... I promptly got rid of the knife. The new black sheaths have cross-guard snaps, and so are much better: Avoid the beige sheaths...

Generally the impression was of good materials with careless or untested design, especially the grip and sheath.

One favourable thing I learned from this knife was that extremely thick sheaths actually ride better inside the pants, which led to the wrapping of 10-15' of 550 cord (over a thermal blanket) around my other sheaths, plus the two socks instead of just a soft padding cloth against the skin.

Gaston
I wonder if the lady in the video would have wrapped her sheath in socks and or cord would it have failed like it did?

Back