• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Failing lock on Stedemon ZKC-D01

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Disclaimer: I traded for this with another forum member but I don't think it was known bad before the trade.

I discovered that the liner lock on my knife can fail rather easily with some pressure one the spine of the blade to the point that I can make the lock fail with my hands, far from a wack or baton. The lock simply slides to the side and allows the blade to close. I feel unsafe using the knife now knowing how easy this can occur.

I'm simply spreading the word for those that have one to check it. I suspect it's a defect as it seems to be fairly well liked and I kind of liked it before realizing that the lock was faulty.

I've attempted to contact stedemon about the knife. I know it's manufactured by Zon Knife Co but I cannot find any contact information for them with a google search.

Here's a youtube link to the ease of making the lock fail. It's not searchable (only viewable with link) as I don't care to drag the companies name through the mud but want to share my experience as it's the first knife I've had where this has occurred.

On a side note, if I can't get in touch with the Zon knives or Stedemon, do I just put this in the garbage or is there a fix? I feel like i trust this less than a slipjoint because at least with a slipjoint I know that it's designed to be non-locking.

Can we see a pic of the lockup?

I've had two different knives that had a similar issue. One was a $100 'super tactical defense knife' and the other was made in Russia for about 3xthat amount. The cheaper one had a rather sensitive lockbar. Any amount of lubrication of any kind would cause the lock to fail. It failed the first time and cut me good; 8 stitches and a messed up tendon. So, make sure it's clean. Again, not an excuse but it does happen.

The Russian blade was sensitive in another way. The pivot needed adjusted just right and the knife needed to be flipped open with some force. A slow manual open would barely make the lock engage, and just like yours, it would fail. A tightening of the pivot fixed this. I believe a liner shouldn't fail under any deployment, but it is what it is.

Be careful with it and tweak it a bit. If nothing cures it, send it back.

i always test my frame and liner locks sort of that way when i get them. many would be surprised what fails. just like you not with much pressure at all either. just as many frames fail this way as liners. on frames that theory of the grip being the lock works until one adjusts to cut a certain way due to space or angle etc, then doesnt mean anything.

contact the dealer the original owner got it from.....i wouldnt expect they would do anything other than maybe provide some contact info for warranty service...which is all ya want anyways, right?

Maybe take it apart and bend the liner in a vise a bit until it does what's needed? I've fixed lower-priced knives easily that way, although $70 isn't exactly "lower priced" for me, it's getting into the "moderate to high" category. Prior to your post I had never even heard of the brand, keep us posted on how they handle this if you'd be so kind.

I hope you get your knife replaced/repaired but this is quite interesting regardless. If you don't mind - I can't quite tell what you are doing to the knife that is making it fail. It looks like you are pinching the scales together at or near the pivot and simultaneously pushing against the back of the blade. Is that right?

I traded one to Monofletch Monofletch
I wonder if his is solid... I never used it when I had it so I wouldn't know if it's weak or not.
Maybe he will test it out and chime in.

I hope you get your knife replaced/repaired but this is quite interesting regardless. If you don't mind - I can't quite tell what you are doing to the knife that is making it fail. It looks like you are pinching the scales together at or near the pivot and simultaneously pushing against the back of the blade. Is that right?

So I was only holding the scales like that so you can see through the knife and see the lock.

I'm holding the knife steady with my right hand and applying straight downward pressure with my right hand, like if you were closing a slipjoint against your hand. I think because the angle on the back of the knife where the liner rests has such a high angle, the lock simple slides back to the closed position and fails. I guess this has been a fear on liner locks but I've never had one fail so easily. I would trust them for a spine whack but this is far from that. I've never been able to make a lock fail like this with my hands, not using a more violent action.

It would be similar to a test like this, except it might be 10-20lbs of pressure that caused it to fail.

I am not sure what the problem is with your Zon, but mine is perfect in every way. It is fast becoming one of my favorite knives.
After reading this thread I tested the lock on my ZKC DO-1 and it was solid. I first tried to close it like your video and it did not move at all. Then I used the edge of my bench to put as much pressure on it as I could and nothing. So then I decided to spine whack it a few times. Sorry, but nothing at all. I bet someone had yours apart before you got it.
Here is my baby.....
IMAG1712.jpg
IMAG1715.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure what the problem is with your Zon, but mine is perfect in every way. It is fast becoming one of my favorite knives.
After reading this thread I tested the lock on my ZKC DO-1 and it was solid. I first tried to close it like your video and it did not move at all. Then I used the edge of my bench to put as much pressure on it as I could and nothing. So then I decided to spine whack it a few times. Sorry, but nothing at all. I bet someone had yours apart before you got it.

Good to know. I actually was pretty excited about the knife after watching a review from the last boyscout on youtube. I like to research as many opinions of a knife before getting one as possible. I don't think what's going on with this one is a typical thing but it is still alarming to me as it seems unsafe. Everything else about the knife seems great, I don't have many larger folders as I have always jumped to fixed when lengths get that high but wanted to give one a try and the opportunity arose that I could get one used. I had one in my bladehq wishlist for quite a while. If only this one is failing, then that's great. I really just want to get in touch with the manufacturer to get it figured out but zon knives doesn't come up with a google search so I'm tracking it back up stream and there's a lot of smarter people here than me when it comes to knives so I wanted to make a post about it.

How would taking it apart affect the lock up like this? All of the knives I've had apart so far have been so incredibly simple to dis-assemble and re-assemble I'm unable to picture how this would affect the lockup of the knife. I've only taken benchmades and spydercos apart so far which have mostly been axis locks and back locks. I have had some frame locks apart and again, I find it hard to see how putting it together wrong could cause such an issue but I certainly don't have enough experience with them to really know, I'm just not able to think through it as a possibility. I guess I could see the lock being damaged during the process but I couldn't identify that if I tried, I think.

Last edited:
If they tweeked the lock bar it would effect lock up.
Have you tried contacting Blade HQ? They might be able to get contact info for you.
If you are going to trash it just send it to me. I will try to fix it and use it.

Give Blade HQ a call. I had an issue with a Microtech and couldn't get in touch with their CS. BHQ sent it in for me and handled the entire procedure.
Worth a shot.
Joe

If nothing else is working and you're feeling abit adventurous you could always try peening the lock. There is a video by STR how to do it you can probably find ifnyou search STR Knives and looking on his website or maybe typing STR peening lock face in google.

I have messaged BladeHQ CS. I will attempt to call when I have more time, after giving them some time to respond to the message. I messaged them yesterday while they were closed but they usually get back pretty quick from other messages I've sent.

It is ALWAYS better to call and speak with someone.
Much better.

It is ALWAYS better to call and speak with someone.
Much better.

BladeHQ initially stated to contact Stedemon through their facebook page but mentioned they'll try to get their rep to contact me. Stedemon's facebook page has an international phone number so I was hesitant to call that number.

Calling is better for some people, in my line of work if it isn't written down, it didn't happen. Emails, messages, and written letters are therefore better forms of communication, in many instances, because it's written down. Emails have saved my behind many times as I'm able to quote or review what has been written in previous communications. That habit/bias for that type of communication has moved to my personal life out of familiarity at this point.

Hope it works out!
Let us know how it pans out, I know many of us have been hesitant to buy some of the Chinese offerings wondering about support.
Joe

Stedemon rep contacted me thanks to efforts from BladeHQ. They're going to send me out a lockbar to make a swap and see how that works out. I'm glad they're willing to help still, which is awesome. I was expecting to have to ship it somewhere for repair/inspection or something like that if they were even willing to assist.

I think this is another scenario where getting knives through a reputable shop is best if hesitant about QC issues but I am pretty relieved they're still willing to work with me on getting the knife in working order. As always, very happy with BladeHQ but I would be remiss if I didn't give some credit to Stedemon for helping me out when they clearly don't have to.

Great news!! Glad you're getting squared away!
Another reason to deal with Blade HQ!!

Back