Fairly Knives Chat - Check in and say Hi! Post whatever here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK good! I was worried, it has taken me a while to get everything going... I work all day on this stuff but I am really bad at anything secretary style, lol.

It's like me trying to run a cash register, I almost am not capable. It sounds easy to me but my brain does not work that way.

Technical + Art has always been my forte, I am really bad at regular stuff! lol...

Morning guys. Sorry I forgot about the pics yesterday, I got distracted by a fussy two year old...

Here are a few pics of old man Chucks home shop. 50 years of collecting, and projects. Every horizontal surface had either a barrel or bolt, or action sitting on it. New barrel blanks, old take off barrels, tools, and just junk in some cases. He is not a neat and tidy guy, but does do some fine work.

This is one bench, horizontal mill (burke brand) with home made verticle milling added, home made 60* indexing head, home made bed extension. Next to it is a Walker-Turner drill press.

2012-06-11112407.jpg

2012-06-11112447.jpg

This is the walker turner drill press. The tooling and jig on it used to belong to Charlie Mikes grandfather, who was a gunsmith here in town ending maybe 30 years ago. There is some more tooling that came from him hiding around here too.

2012-06-11113804.jpg

Unknown make mill. It had the name plate on the belt cover, which is gone.

2012-06-11112509.jpg

10" Atlas lathe with a different gearbox. Also there is a powered grinding wheel on the tool arm, don't see that very often...

2012-06-11112538.jpg

12" Atlas made Craftsman brand lathe, this is his workhorse lathe.

2012-06-11112634.jpg

Barrels...

2012-06-11113232.jpg

If you look closely in most of the pics, you can see more barrels, and parts just laying everywhere. He also has maybe 4 or 5 wheel grinder with different expanding wheels, buffers, stones, and such. Two horizontal/verticle bandsaws were hiding as well. I just love the smell of old greasy shops, and talking to Chuck about the projects he has done in here can take days!

Well, if any of you are like me, you always love seeing other peoples shops! And it was a good visit.

-Xander

Good morning everyone!
Xander, thanks for the pix you know I love that kind of stuff! Are you off tomarrow?

It was fun talking with him and seeing his shop. He's a neat old guy.

Kevin, no I work all week but have Sunday off. Doubt I'll get any shop time though, that's fathers day.

Big, yeah, he knew exactly where everything was! Because everything was laying on the benches!

Oh I bought that .22 rifle for a project, I pick it up in 10 days and then the teardown begins! It has the most awesome plumb brown natural patina right now!

I will update with pics later today.

-Xander

It is hard to believe you have to wait 10 days on any purchase. Here anyone can walk in and buy a rifle or shotgun and if you have a CCW like I do I can walk in and out buying a handgun the same day.Others have to get a purchase permit and that is only a 5 day wait for handguns.

Forgot to ask, Daniel how is the Fairly shipping department doing today? I imagine the shipping part is harder than the knife making...lol

Doing good, I'm just about to go to the PO! :D The shipping is way harder! :D

I may go by Wal Mart and buy a gun just because I can, lmao!!! We may have tough business laws but knives are available right off the shelf as well as ammo and reloading supplies.

This is funny... in NM wal mart (or the ones close to me) they have the knives behind the counter with photos under the counter to look at! They will let you check the knife out in hand though, that is cool.

Even funnier you can buy liquor at the gas station in NM! Here they can't have anything over 3.2%. Odd how right and wrong changes depending on location. :D

pix of my last project . D2 blank reprofiled the handle and added G-10 . it is 1/4" thick ,3" blade and 8" oal . made the kydex sheath with my super hi tec kydex press haha
7180942113_1c229e4e46_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7180940583_989e2bddde_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7366171508_d4a7e4703b_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7180937439_e812c72b2e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
I think I will texture the scales, something like the Anso patern . It is the sharpest prybar I own.

Daniel, yes.. its STUPID... In Arizona, I could buy liquor in 7 eleven, Safeway, or at a drivethru liquor store. Gun laws were a bit stiff there.. Here in Oregon, we can buy and own just about any weapon there is made, one of if not the most lenient gun law states there is.. we can have full autos, silenced rifles or pistols, even grenade launchers.. But we HAVE to buy liquor at a state controlled liquor store.. However beer can be whatever % you can make.. Oh AND you can't buy liquor on Sundays. And in Portland 10pm is the latest a store is open to buy liquor. Buy bars stay open all night.. Talk about contradictions...

pix of my last project . D2 blank reprofiled the handle and added G-10 . it is 1/4" thick ,3" blade and 8" oal . made the kydex sheath with my super hi tec kydex press haha
I think I will texture the scales, something like the Anso patern . It is the sharpest prybar I own.

Looking good! Insane sheath work! Lol my press is way upgraded, I have glued on foam and clamps! Nice work... cool idea on the Anso pattern, that is a favorite. D2 rocks!

Daniel, yes.. its STUPID... In Arizona, I could buy liquor in 7 eleven, Safeway, or at a drivethru liquor store. Gun laws were a bit stiff there.. Here in Oregon, we can buy and own just about any weapon there is made, one of if not the most lenient gun law states there is.. we can have full autos, silenced rifles or pistols, even grenade launchers.. But we HAVE to buy liquor at a state controlled liquor store.. However beer can be whatever % you can make.. Oh AND you can't buy liquor on Sundays. And in Portland 10pm is the latest a store is open to buy liquor. Buy bars stay open all night.. Talk about contradictions...

Are you guys allowed to pump gas there now? I almost got in trouble passing through there once for doing that! lmao "Step back from the pump Sir!" I didn't know...

I just made it back from the PO! :D I went to the local lake afterwards and cruised around, it was nice. I had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive for a while, lots of fun! :D I finally found this logging road I have been looking for, it is easy to miss and goes back for miles... now that I found it I will go check it out next time. The last road I went on back there ended up on the site of a town but there is literally not a thing left there. It was an old gold boomtown but they never found gold, lol it was copper! They ran ads in the New York Times amazingly enough to recruit people to the area, funny stuff. Some people say there really is gold, a friend of a friend found a big nugget panning downstream so who knows.

There are several lost gold mine legends here... someone brought in a load of gold to town and forgot where the claim was. My friend pointed out that usually they had stolen the gold from a local mine! Good stories too, lost gold mines!

SWEEEEEET!!!! Now by Thursday I will wait in ambush on the mail lady everyday until my knife arrives! Thanks Daniel, You just made my month with this news!!!!Daniel I do the same thing I drive around on old logging roads just for something to do.If I find a spot that looks promising for hunting I will get out and walk around looking for deer trails old rubs and scrapes.I have found some spots that there was no one else within 10 miles of where I hunted.

SWEEEEEET!!!! Now by Thursday I will wait in ambush on the mail lady everyday until my knife arrives! Thanks Daniel, You just made my month with this news!!!!Daniel I do the same thing I drive around on old logging roads just for something to do.If I find a spot that looks promising for hunting I will get out and walk around looking for deer trails old rubs and scrapes.I have found some spots that there was no one else within 10 miles of where I hunted.

Exploring has always been a favorite hobby. I think I saw some trees that had been scraped by bears, it was interesting. This road I'm looking for goes to an area that is National Forest for hundreds of miles straight. It gets really wild back there, the county next to mine and in majority of this forest area is the least populated in the nation.

I sent an automated mailing notice to everyone, something I have never done... let me know if you don't get your tracking number. I'm working hard to streamline mailing, between photography and mailing I have spent the last 5 days out of the shop. No big deal for me but you guys need knives! :cool: :D

As of 1340 my time I received a notice and tracking number. I'm sure the wife is already tired o me tapping my feet and finger waiting in anticipation for it! Who am I kiddng, she is already tired of me for so many other things...

Well one good thing is my knives are a welcome distraction from the wait for my new rifle! I have already been building a game plan for it. But once I get it home, that could change. I have been looking at different stock styles I can do with it, silohuette, prone, offhand target, palma, thumb hole bench rest, verticle grip varmint, just so many to choose from! Either way, its gonna be radical! I'm super excited to do a full bore, anything goes type project, been wanting to do one for so long.

-Xander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back