Fairly Knives Chat - Check in and say Hi! Post whatever here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xander, you should do a sawed off fully auto bolt action with pitol grips and laaaaaaazooooooor beams !!!!! yea thats it .
sloth, kinda makes sense to me, more guns less booze/more booze less guns . gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when my goverment does my thinking for me.<sarcasm. If I had to choose I would take the guns .I find it easier to make my own booze.

Daniel as of 2105 i have not received a tracking number yet.You are absolutely correct.We need knives!!!!

More knives! :D I'll get you that tracking number here soon.

As of 1340 my time I received a notice and tracking number. I'm sure the wife is already tired o me tapping my feet and finger waiting in anticipation for it! Who am I kiddng, she is already tired of me for so many other things...

Well one good thing is my knives are a welcome distraction from the wait for my new rifle! I have already been building a game plan for it. But once I get it home, that could change. I have been looking at different stock styles I can do with it, silohuette, prone, offhand target, palma, thumb hole bench rest, verticle grip varmint, just so many to choose from! Either way, its gonna be radical! I'm super excited to do a full bore, anything goes type project, been wanting to do one for so long.

-Xander
I hope all is going as well as it can. Cool on the rifle project!

Good you got the tracking I need to figure all that out in a second.

Xander, you should do a sawed off fully auto bolt action with pitol grips and laaaaaaazooooooor beams !!!!! yea thats it .
sloth, kinda makes sense to me, more guns less booze/more booze less guns . gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when my goverment does my thinking for me.<sarcasm. If I had to choose I would take the guns .I find it easier to make my own booze.

Yep! Hey you have a shirt on the way! :D

Morning men! It's awfully quiet here. Everyone must be out waiting by their mailboxes...

I hear you!

I'm starting up a new batch hopefully today! Mostly orders and a few for sale. I also ordered my D2 and green rayskin for .315" tantos, they will be my next run!

GOOOOOOOOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!!!!!!! Today is my day off and I think I will spend it trying to make a patern for a friction folder out of plexy that Xander and I found in a dumpster . someone at work asked me to make him a battle tomahawk type thing useing a bicycle disc brake rotor and a 64 tooth chain wheel . People are asking me to make them the strangest stuff when they find out I like to make knives,but if they are willing to pay me to make that crazy stuff ,why not? Yesterday I made the mistake of putting almost all my knives in one place and my wife came across this pile of knives .This was not the smartest thing I ever did.It is going to make convincing her that I NEEED that next knife a little harder.Don't worry Daniel when you do your folder run I have it all planed out .I will just tell her that this one is a investment for OUR future and a quality piece from a soon to be famous knife maker can only increase in value:D sorry for the rambling .I am going to go for a quick bike ride and then straight to knife making, see ya.

Kevin, all my knives are in a locked trunk which only I have a key to. The wife can't see them all at once, but when she brings it up I ask why she has 3 complete kitchen sets in carry cases and 3 kitchenaid mixers, and boxes full of VERY expensive purses, shoes, jewelery, make-up, and other expensive things she doesn't need but has, that usually settles the argument right there!

I did get a minor arse chewing for buying the rifle, though. She asked what a receipt was for I had on my dresser and she snatched it befor I could come up with anything and hide it! Once she realized that th amount on there was the paid in full price and not just a down payment, she settled down pretty quick. Even she admitted it was cheap. I don't keep my guns at my house, except for a select few, so anytime I get something new I usually just say, "oh this has been in the back of the safe for years..." as I walk away. I'm pretty sure she knows what's up and just let's me have my fun, though.

-Xander

Well I am pumped up! I checked my tracking number and it says estimated delivery of my knife is 6/14/12. I will be sitting on my porch waiting for the mail lady.

OK I will admit it ,I'm sick ,I have a problem, I can't control myself !!! So I was just out for a little bike ride and I ran into a old friend and the conversation turned to ...........KNIVES... thats right I can't stop talking about knives . I told you I'm hooked damn it!!!:D so, long story shot I bought a knife from him and it is F'in sweet!It needs to be cleaned up but I will do that later. It is very nice quality ,made in Germany and I think it has "greef" stamped on the other side of the blade. If you have any info about it let me know. would ya?
7185132101_25d413044e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7370368646_c734edde47_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7185138507_403cd2a598_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG] hope you guys are having a good day!

oh yea, Xander you should give someone(me) an extra key to that trunk in case you loose your key or god forbid you get ran over by a speeding volvo (I mean car) you know just for piece of mind ya know.

Good morning guys!

I have knives tempering at the moment, it will be the second or third temper cycle on most of them. :)

FBC I have no idea on that knife but it looks cool! High Carbon I bet, nice score.

It's funny, with older factory knives the stainless is usually just junk and the high carbon is good... that still influences buying decisions now days.

Good morning everyone. Today should be a great day! It is DFK Knife Delivery Day! I can't lurk at the mailbox like BigCountry can, but I'm sure going to bolt for home as soon as I can after work!

Anodizing... So, you're not going to just use a torch? :D

Good morning everyone. Today should be a great day! It is DFK Knife Delivery Day! I can't lurk at the mailbox like BigCountry can, but I'm sure going to bolt for home as soon as I can after work!

Anodizing... So, you're not going to just use a torch? :D

Great day!

On the anodizing I curently use a torch, I can get the first spectrum of colors that way. I'll still use the torch in the future for some things because I really like the look I get.

With the anodizer I can get a deeper layer and the second range of colors.

Green is possible even but very hard to do, it was a secret for a while there. I may have figured out a way to anodize my signature on as well. I can't wait to try and see!

Ano info - http://mrtitanium.com/interference.html

Why did I have to get an anodizer? I saw some anodized Ti in person that just blew my work away, I had to step it up! :D

Scary...

I just snapped this pic, it is hard to tell but it is as smoky as can be. I don't get a TV signal, I hope I can find out what is up. Looks bad... it is not nearby but we haven't had any rain almost all year.

001-16.jpg

Daniel be careful!We just got 100% containment on our fire up here.The 3rd most destructive fire in Michigan history. Will make for some real good morel mushroom picking next year.

Well I staked out the mail truck but they did not have it today.Oh well I know it will be here tomorrow!Have to do something to keep my mind busy.

Daniel I know that a lot about a steels toughness comes from the heat treating which yours is spot on.My question is how does D2 compare to 5160 for toughness? I have also read that D2 is no good for a large blade.Is this true? Thanks for the info!

Daniel I know that a lot about a steels toughness comes from the heat treating which yours is spot on.My question is how does D2 compare to 5160 for toughness? I have also read that D2 is no good for a large blade.Is this true? Thanks for the info!

5160 is a fair bit tougher, I wouldn't make a big chopper from D2. It would probably be just fine but there are better choices. D2 is almost as tough as O1 and has great wear resistance combined with good stain and rust resistance. One or two percent more chromium and it would be stainless.

I think S7 is one of the best steels period, that and 5160 are my go-to chopper steels. I'm about to add in some CPM 3V for choppers, it is almost as tough as S7 but holds an edge better than any of the tough steels.

3V and S7 have more chromium than 5160 but much less than D2, that is why one reason they are tougher but not as stain resistant. The chromium they do have does help with rust I think, I have never had any problems with rust on either steel.

I hope you get your knife soon! :D I also hope your appointment went well. I think the anticipation for me is far worse than the drilling which generally isn't too bad at all.

That's me first thing tomorrow. :grumpy:

I just got home and found a package from Daniel waiting by the door. :cool: Plenty o' goodness inside! :D

Good luck with everything tomorrow!

Great to hear on the knives! Which to play with first!!! :D

I sent the blades coated in Ballistol, just wipe everything down with a soft cloth and they will be good to go. The Ballistol is great stuff... it fights corrosion, is non-toxic and biodegradable. It has been around for 100 years or so! It is great on guns, leather and plastic too. I like to put it on the leather sheaths too, just wipe them down as well.

The leather sheaths are soaked in Neatsfoot Oil, they are very anti-corrosion as well. As an experiment I keep a knife stored in one and it has shown no rust whatsoever.

Last edited:
You men have a great night!Tomorrow as soon as I get my knife in the mail my buddy and I are going to go check some deer sited that we are looking at hunting this year!

Good luck with everything tomorrow!

Great to hear on the knives! Which to play with first!!! :D

I sent the blades coated in Ballistol, just wipe everything down with a soft cloth and they will be good to go. The Ballistol is great stuff... it fights corrosion, is non-toxic and biodegradable. It has been around for 100 years or so! It is great on guns, leather and plastic too. I like to put it on the leather sheaths too, just wipe them down as well.

The leather sheaths are soaked in Neatsfoot Oil, they are very anti-corrosion as well. As an experiment I keep a knife stored in one and it has shown no rust whatsoever.

Thanks!

I gotta say that I keep picking up that chopper! It has great thickness (and a don't F*** with me look). And I love the Crypto!!! I also see that I can use it as a major league cleaver!

I've always stored my leather sheaths away from my knives because of a fear of rust. Good info on the Neatsfoot Oil.

Now, back to playing with my new toys... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back