Fairly Knives Chat - For people who like Knives, have Knives or use Knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, hey! Rolf Molf!

You're coming to visit when I'm in possession of waterjetted parts man! You'll learn me some.

I'm not sure on that Damascus. It may be legit but I wonder about the layer count... the price is a bit too good as well. Then again they may be new on the scene and I'm just guessing on the layer count.

Dude says all his billets are guaranteed. It was made in spec for someone who never completed the order.

Sweet, Rolf! I took some pics at the shop today, of the forges and air hammers and horizontal grinder. You should bring Mrs. Rolf for a weekend, and turn her loose in New Hope or something, while we grind steel!

Bako, Arizona Damascus has been around a while, though I usually see it used by mall ninja makers and such. Never used it or dealt with them, but a billet that size would run about $1.50/sq.in. from any regular damascus maker. Keep an eye on it, that's a helluva price right now. Be sure to ask if it is annealed. HT for that should be something like 1550*F austenizing soak for 10-15 minutes, quench in Parks 50. Temper start at 425*f for two hours, twice.

Bored out of my mind at work right now, ugh.

-X

Dude says all his billets are guaranteed. It was made in spec for someone who never completed the order.

That makes sense, I'd pick it up. It looks nice by the way!

Bako- I'll grind with ya.
Daniel- Are you grinding or sculpting?? :D

Grinding! (knives) and filing a ton, I was filing inside chamfers on the handles of a new batch of Ti Backpackers. I even made a tanto one. :D

Sculpture - that's for my off time but I do consider some wild sculpted scales.

if the dude with the D6 mule doesn't get off his arse and answer me, I'm buying that billet.

Sweet, Rolf! I took some pics at the shop today, of the forges and air hammers and horizontal grinder. You should bring Mrs. Rolf for a weekend, and turn her loose in New Hope or something, while we grind steel!

:cool:

Bako, Arizona Damascus has been around a while, though I usually see it used by mall ninja makers and such. Never used it or dealt with them, but a billet that size would run about $1.50/sq.in. from any regular damascus maker. Keep an eye on it, that's a helluva price right now. Be sure to ask if it is annealed. HT for that should be something like 1550*F austenizing soak for 10-15 minutes, quench in Parks 50. Temper start at 425*f for two hours, twice.

Bored out of my mind at work right now, ugh.

-X

Sounds good. $1.50/inch is cheap, maybe I need to look around more! The last small piece I bought was $10/inch. But a big piece is way cheaper...

I hope the work day passes by fast! My day went by quickly but I feel like jello, lol. KMG...

if the dude with the D6 mule doesn't get off his arse and answer me, I'm buying that billet.

I hope you get it! either one, lol

Daniel, was the stuff you bought already HT? @1.50/in that 18x2 billet would be $540 bucks, seems about right last time I saw Mike Turner throwing numbers around. Also, since they use stock photos, I wonder if the bar isn't surface ground or finished at all. I imagine they did as little work as possible once payment faulted.

Funny, work is a drag, but I would rather be home in the shop sanding until my arms are jello! Next in my "to finish" pile is a SBJ of my own design, working on scales for it now. Its a 1095 blade and spring, .060 thick. Heavy liners and brass bolsters. It may get some file work on the liners, too.

Kevin, I got some more good reading material for making slip joints if you want me to email them to you I will.

-X

I don't think that was teh criz. I think she has some more *organic* issues.

I'd lose my shit in about 4 minutes, if I were locked in a skinny aluminum tube hurtling through the sky at 600 mph, 40K feet off the ground, with someone singing just about anything. Whitney Houston especially. :D

Daniel, was the stuff you bought already HT? @1.50/in that 18x2 billet would be $540 bucks, seems about right last time I saw Mike Turner throwing numbers around. Also, since they use stock photos, I wonder if the bar isn't surface ground or finished at all. I imagine they did as little work as possible once payment faulted.

Funny, work is a drag, but I would rather be home in the shop sanding until my arms are jello! Next in my "to finish" pile is a SBJ of my own design, working on scales for it now. Its a 1095 blade and spring, .060 thick. Heavy liners and brass bolsters. It may get some file work on the liners, too.

Kevin, I got some more good reading material for making slip joints if you want me to email them to you I will.

-X

too tired for math, lol! :D

The new project sounds killer!

Yngwie was just on Pandora, here is some to ROCK! or just scare people off... :p

[video=youtube_share;CwDFxTK3UxY]http://youtu.be/CwDFxTK3UxY[/video]

lol! Guitar mag did an interview with him where they just showed up un-announced. Yngwie was chilling wearing the same stuff he wears on stage, that's how he rocks it! lmao!!!

I once scalloped an Ibanez neck just to be more Yngwieeee but still can't rock so hard! :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back