Fairly Knives Chat Thread!!!

Yo! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I traveled out to Cincinnati for my best friend's 40th birthday. Awesome guy's weekend. Now I gotta get ready for a 10K I am running next weekend and realizing I maybe over did it a bit :D

TR, good luck on the 10k.
D, what's up with that wicked new kitchen grind?!!!

FBC that one is getting natural canvas micarta scales with a tang extension made from green canvas micarta and black pins. 3V and will be sharp! Nice edge geometry for the kitchen and more.

TR good luck! Thanks for the inspiration on the knives too... tang extension!

Sloth357 thanks again dude! I owe you a message.

Busy here trying to get caught up after being sick for so long. Today is Jade's last day of preschool... Kindergarten is next!!! Time flies. Glue up later today along with mailing and lots more. You guys have a good one!

Pre to K is a nice age group. Lots of hugs and kisses, take plenty of videos to enjoy later on down the road. My boy Dan picked up the Ti Backpacker to be deployed overseas. Then he noticed the anodized compound grind variant you put up and really liked the flat grind up to the swedge. Mentioned that a swedge would be useful in general clearing and scraping off barnacles while preserving the primary edge for cutting through underwater cable and similar. Nice work!

Last edited:
Adam that means quite a lot to me that your son is deploying with a knife I made! Let me get right back to you about some mods.

Sup fellas.

Well, got another rifle project rolling, this time a bolt action, long range prone rifle. I chose 260 Ackley Improved for the caliber, just got a sort-of-temporary stock from a 1960's era Remington 40X target rifle. Been cleaning it up with just a refresh rather than a complete strip and refinish.

20170522_180218_zpsrugdvq0x.jpg

Here's after the clean and refresh on the finish...

20170523_071659_zpsf8k4gh8k.jpg

-Xander

That's looking good Xander! What wood is the stock, looks nice. I'm a big fan of bold and break action, nice and simple.

Hi guys!

Thanx Daniel, this one is good old plain Jane American Walnut. Nothing fancy about this wood, but it is high quality, very straight grained and strong.

I'm going to let the final coats cure a bit before I put it in a padded vise and start chipping away with chisels.

-X

I thought it was Walnut but was not sure... nice looking material! I wast to buy some for scales, it has a classy look.

Chisels - is that so you can bed the barrel or the likes? cool stuff!

8 knives are glued up... lots going out too! Tony I am going to try and work on your knife today!

Yeah, walnut is nice to work with. I need to open up the trigger area inside the stock because I use an aftermarket trigger, then I need to open up the barrel channel a little bit because this barrel uses a barrel nut to hold it on which the originals did not. Next is the recoil lug on my rifle is precision ground .250", which originals were thinner so the sl9t in the stock is just a little too small.

Once I get all that to fit, then I go and remove a bunch of material around the action and install pillars, then epoxy bed it.

-X

Cool, that is kind of what I was thinking. Yes walnut is awesome to work with.

I made some small chisels from W1 drill rod, also some gravers that need honing. Stamps... I need to use them! Fun project, super cheap and easy.

Chisels are fun to make, I've made a few specialty ones before, I might make some more though for the barrel channel on this stock.

-X

Happy Memorial Day, folk!

I hope you're all having a great day with your loved ones.

D, those kitchen knives look out of this world! I keep coming back to the hidden tang one; so excellent! I could fit it on my magnetic knife board! LOL!

Any plans to dive back into folders this year?

Just returned from my first trip to Virginia. It was awesome! So many sights to see, and the beer was outstanding. The Answer makes some killer brew, let me tell you.

Good news on our front; we're expecting out first child in December! We're both incredibly stoked. Finally got to break the news to our families. It's a good time!

-Bobby

Congratulations Bobby! Now you have someone to leave all those DFK's to ! :D
D, can you post a few pics of that kitchen knife with the crazy grind?
I jacked up my leg pretty good jumping a recumbent bike while I was test riding. Bad ideas...I am full of 'em. :rolleyes:

Dude, jumping a recumbent is not a good idea at all. Sounds fun though! Was it a short wheel base at least?

Bobby, congrats brotha! Now life gets really fun!

Daniel, keep it real!

-X

Thanks a ton, guys! Life is good.

D, blade is going on! Do you think a blade appearance is in the cards for you? I think it'd be great to see you there with a table.

Yup. Your knives would go quick at Blade being that they are rather niche, unique and utilitarian.

Hey thanks guys! I'd like to make it on of these years!

Not in the cards yet, lol I'm still trying to save up for my new membership here! (hence the lack of posting) I'm selling a lot of knives too, over 30 in the last few weeks so it will be soon!

I hope you guys all have a great weekend!

Kevin that is pretty crazy! lmao on the recumbent bike

Congratulations Bobby!!! That is just awesome to hear!

Yes more folders again soon, I decided to switch gears to get some knives out there as I was getting into more and more time on each folder. Fixed blades pay a lot better too! I love making folders though so look out for more... I'm about to order some new carbide tooling an finish a few up!

That hidden tang is still available! Someone make me an offer I cant refuse! Or maybe a so so one, that might work too! :D That knife is awesome by the way I want to keep it.

Back