1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fairly Knives Chat Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Daniel Fairly Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Dec 15, 2016.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Yo! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I traveled out to Cincinnati for my best friend's 40th birthday. Awesome guy's weekend. Now I gotta get ready for a 10K I am running next weekend and realizing I maybe over did it a bit :D

2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2012
    TR, good luck on the 10k.
    D, what's up with that wicked new kitchen grind?!!!

3. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    FBC that one is getting natural canvas micarta scales with a tang extension made from green canvas micarta and black pins. 3V and will be sharp! Nice edge geometry for the kitchen and more.

TR good luck! Thanks for the inspiration on the knives too... tang extension!

Sloth357 thanks again dude! I owe you a message.

Busy here trying to get caught up after being sick for so long. Today is Jade's last day of preschool... Kindergarten is next!!! Time flies. Glue up later today along with mailing and lots more. You guys have a good one!

4. adamlau

adamlau Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Pre to K is a nice age group. Lots of hugs and kisses, take plenty of videos to enjoy later on down the road. My boy Dan picked up the Ti Backpacker to be deployed overseas. Then he noticed the anodized compound grind variant you put up and really liked the flat grind up to the swedge. Mentioned that a swedge would be useful in general clearing and scraping off barnacles while preserving the primary edge for cutting through underwater cable and similar. Nice work!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Daniel Fairly Knives likes this.
  5. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Adam that means quite a lot to me that your son is deploying with a knife I made! Let me get right back to you about some mods.

adamlau likes this.
  6. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Sup fellas.

Well, got another rifle project rolling, this time a bolt action, long range prone rifle. I chose 260 Ackley Improved for the caliber, just got a sort-of-temporary stock from a 1960's era Remington 40X target rifle. Been cleaning it up with just a refresh rather than a complete strip and refinish.

[​IMG]

Here's after the clean and refresh on the finish...

[​IMG]

-Xander

TRfromMT likes this.
  7. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    That's looking good Xander! What wood is the stock, looks nice. I'm a big fan of bold and break action, nice and simple.

Hi guys!

8. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanx Daniel, this one is good old plain Jane American Walnut. Nothing fancy about this wood, but it is high quality, very straight grained and strong.

I'm going to let the final coats cure a bit before I put it in a padded vise and start chipping away with chisels.

-X

9. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I thought it was Walnut but was not sure... nice looking material! I wast to buy some for scales, it has a classy look.

Chisels - is that so you can bed the barrel or the likes? cool stuff!

8 knives are glued up... lots going out too! Tony I am going to try and work on your knife today!

10. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Hot d#*n! Really looking forward to what you do there. Thanks.

11. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Yeah, walnut is nice to work with. I need to open up the trigger area inside the stock because I use an aftermarket trigger, then I need to open up the barrel channel a little bit because this barrel uses a barrel nut to hold it on which the originals did not. Next is the recoil lug on my rifle is precision ground .250", which originals were thinner so the sl9t in the stock is just a little too small.

Once I get all that to fit, then I go and remove a bunch of material around the action and install pillars, then epoxy bed it.

-X

12. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Cool, that is kind of what I was thinking. Yes walnut is awesome to work with.

I made some small chisels from W1 drill rod, also some gravers that need honing. Stamps... I need to use them! Fun project, super cheap and easy.

13. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Chisels are fun to make, I've made a few specialty ones before, I might make some more though for the barrel channel on this stock.

-X

14. Farchyld

Farchyld

Sep 10, 2011
    Happy Memorial Day, folk!

I hope you're all having a great day with your loved ones.

D, those kitchen knives look out of this world! I keep coming back to the hidden tang one; so excellent! I could fit it on my magnetic knife board! LOL!

Any plans to dive back into folders this year?

Just returned from my first trip to Virginia. It was awesome! So many sights to see, and the beer was outstanding. The Answer makes some killer brew, let me tell you.

Good news on our front; we're expecting out first child in December! We're both incredibly stoked. Finally got to break the news to our families. It's a good time!

-Bobby

fast14riot, TRfromMT and adamlau like this.
  15. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Congratulations, Bobby. That is just terrific!

16. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Congratulations Bobby! Now you have someone to leave all those DFK's to ! :D
    D, can you post a few pics of that kitchen knife with the crazy grind?
    I jacked up my leg pretty good jumping a recumbent bike while I was test riding. Bad ideas...I am full of 'em. :rolleyes:

17. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Dude, jumping a recumbent is not a good idea at all. Sounds fun though! Was it a short wheel base at least?

Bobby, congrats brotha! Now life gets really fun!

Daniel, keep it real!

-X

18. Farchyld

Farchyld

Sep 10, 2011
    Thanks a ton, guys! Life is good.

D, blade is going on! Do you think a blade appearance is in the cards for you? I think it'd be great to see you there with a table.

19. adamlau

adamlau Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Yup. Your knives would go quick at Blade being that they are rather niche, unique and utilitarian.

20. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Hey thanks guys! I'd like to make it on of these years!

Not in the cards yet, lol I'm still trying to save up for my new membership here! (hence the lack of posting) I'm selling a lot of knives too, over 30 in the last few weeks so it will be soon!

I hope you guys all have a great weekend!

Kevin that is pretty crazy! lmao on the recumbent bike

Congratulations Bobby!!! That is just awesome to hear!

Yes more folders again soon, I decided to switch gears to get some knives out there as I was getting into more and more time on each folder. Fixed blades pay a lot better too! I love making folders though so look out for more... I'm about to order some new carbide tooling an finish a few up!

That hidden tang is still available! Someone make me an offer I cant refuse! Or maybe a so so one, that might work too! :D That knife is awesome by the way I want to keep it.