Fairly Knives Chat Thread!!!

Hey hey hey!

Finally getting some awesome weather around here! Time to start unloading all that ammo I've been reloading!

Make it great!

-X

Hi guys!

Kevin I wish I could have visited you while you were in state! Cool you liked CO, it is pretty nice here!

Nice Xander! I must do some shooting this year! AK build too if I ever get around to it. Nice you reload too! We shot .410 shells from the 50's (my grandfather had a massive ammo stash and shot competitively) when I was a kid and they were like handling old dynamite!

Tony that Koa looks killer! Is that some you picked up in Hawaii?

Yo Rolf!!!!!!!!!!

My Mom is getting out of physical rehab soon so that is good news, it was really scary for a while there! Maybe 5-6 emergency room visits...

I'm on about the 17th computer since I have been making knives! I took this one out Elvis style...

Lots of 3V and framelocks are in the works, I spent a lot of time just surface grinding flats today and am sore! It's a workout for sure...

I'm going to mention it here first... CPM-3V Backpacker? :cool: Scales? :thumbup: under $100 :eek: It might happen if I can pull it off on a production basis, what do you guys think?

Good to hear your mom is doing better Daniel.

Someone is looking at too much knife pr0n causing computer self-destructs.

I wouldn't mind another backpacker. Maybe I could do it for my groomsmen gifts since I been wanting to get the guys something useful.

Been electroplating for the last 2 months, I finally got uniformity, very low porosity and great adhesion. I tried to replicate it with a longer plating time and it just didn't stick. But I think it's because of the organic content of nail polish (used it as a barrier on the reverse side).

I wouldn't mind another backpacker. Maybe I could do it for my groomsmen gifts since I been wanting to get the guys something useful.

Been electroplating for the last 2 months, I finally got uniformity, very low porosity and great adhesion. I tried to replicate it with a longer plating time and it just didn't stick. But I think it's because of the organic content of nail polish (used it as a barrier on the reverse side).

Cool! I may have to contact you on electroplating, it is something I have been wanting to get in to for years. That is tough getting a clean finish! Maybe Rio Grande for resist?

Groomsmen gifts! Cool stuff coming up...

Location, Daniel! lol! You can handle it. ;) Have some fun in the snow too.
Ber started job shadowing. Can you believe it?? He's doing a good job.
danks!

Sounds like you're plating Ni? We used to use what was called "flash breaker" tape on the backs of our wafers, or UV cured resins like SU-8. I can't tell you much more about the resins as I'm still under a NDA from a past life, lol! I used to work in MEMS and dealt a lot with plating.

-X

Hi guys!

Kevin I wish I could have visited you while you were in state! Cool you liked CO, it is pretty nice here!

Nice Xander! I must do some shooting this year! AK build too if I ever get around to it. Nice you reload too! We shot .410 shells from the 50's (my grandfather had a massive ammo stash and shot competitively) when I was a kid and they were like handling old dynamite!

Tony that Koa looks killer! Is that some you picked up in Hawaii?

Yo Rolf!!!!!!!!!!

My Mom is getting out of physical rehab soon so that is good news, it was really scary for a while there! Maybe 5-6 emergency room visits...

I'm on about the 17th computer since I have been making knives! I took this one out Elvis style...

Lots of 3V and framelocks are in the works, I spent a lot of time just surface grinding flats today and am sore! It's a workout for sure...

I'm going to mention it here first... CPM-3V Backpacker? :cool: Scales? :thumbup: under $100 :eek: It might happen if I can pull it off on a production basis, what do you guys think?

Yep - the koa came home with me from Hawaii. My only souvenir. It's all stabilized and I cut it all into blanks last night. Koa is my faaaavvorite!

PLEASE don't tempt me with any more 3V goodness! Good grief - I can't take it!

Sounds like you're plating Ni? We used to use what was called "flash breaker" tape on the backs of our wafers, or UV cured resins like SU-8. I can't tell you much more about the resins as I'm still under a NDA from a past life, lol! I used to work in MEMS and dealt a lot with plating.

-X

That's cool Xander!

Yep - the koa came home with me from Hawaii. My only souvenir. It's all stabilized and I cut it all into blanks last night. Koa is my faaaavvorite!

PLEASE don't tempt me with any more 3V goodness! Good grief - I can't take it!

Nice! So cool you went and got the piece... I'm still finishing a piece of Koa and wow it looks good.

Look out for more 3V! it is a tough one to grind and almost impossible to hand sand but that is why it is so good.

-X

I'm plating iron onto pure chromium plates. I put some epoxy on reverse side so it doesn't get plates on both sides.

I used to analyze wafers and semiconductor stuff about 5 years ago.

I'm plating iron onto pure chromium plates. I put some epoxy on reverse side so it doesn't get plates on both sides.

I used to analyze wafers and semiconductor stuff about 5 years ago.

Plating iron is tricky stuff! Did a little bit of that on occasion.

Well, taxes done and new car in the driveway on the same night. Just finished off a really big bottle of bourbon I got for my birthday 20 days ago as well. Now just to fix the finicky trigger that was giving me fits this past weekend in my 3 position match AR15... unexpected discharge is no fun.... (get your mind out of the gutter :p )

Making it great, probably dying while trying too, lol!

-X :cool:

Hi Tony! Email incoming, you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew that is cool stuff! I want to learn electroplating copper...

Yo Xander! Good stuff there! What kind of car did you get?

Grinding CPM-3V today... wow it is gnarly stuff to grind! I remember as I've ground lots of it but kind of forgot just how long it actually takes to grind. I've taken to mic'ing my edges and it takes a long time to remove a few thou even. Good stuff though and nice to see such wear resistance.

Picked up an '09 Toyota Matrix for Brandi, her civic was getting tired and she needed something a little newer, especially after getting rear ended last summer. A friend of ours just moved from our neighborhood to Alabama and was buying a new car out there, so made a hell of a deal for us. She was the original owner too. Bonus is she left the Thule roof rack on it! Was looking at newer stuff but this deal came up and just couldn't say no.

-Xander

Oh Daniel, for Cu plating, look up Caswell plug n' plate kits. It's primarily brush plating, but you can use it for dip plating. It's good for small stuff. Inexpensive, simple and quick. You could probably use your elctro etcher for a power supply, somewhere right around 5v will get it done for small items, but it's a ratio of voltage to surface area. It's a good home science experiment with the kids to plate quarters in copper, pre-1983 pennies are solid copper.

-X

Tony my Gmail account is all screwed up since I got the new computer... I read it last night but still can't get a response to send! Thanks very much, you seriously rock! I'll pm you here.

Back