Fallkniven Volcano

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
So after much back and forth on this knife I picked one up on the exchange for quite a bit less than retail. I was in the process of having a custom built patterned on this knife. I was looking for a good stout knife for long wilderness trips ,and hunting trips, looking for a one knife solution for a hunting/butchering/survival blade and settled on this pattern. My yearly elk hunts can take us up to 20 miles in the gila wilderness of New Mexico chasing elk on horse back, we set up a base camp, and spike in anywhere up to ten miles out of it for up to ten days, and I was looking for a knife I can carry, that can skin out an elk, and quarter it, along with chopping wood for fires and general camp chores. Something that was durable with really good edge retention. I think I found what I was looking for with this laminated cobalt steel. It's extremely durable, with edge retention besting my swamprat sr101 in general cutting. I was out yesterday in the hills, and decided to put it to work for a bit. This will be an ongoing review, and it's the first I've attempted. So bear with me. General wood work, I was rather impressed with the chopping ability considering it's medium size, it's a convex grind, and it's ground really well, with plenty of spine thickness for durability. It does baton like a beast. Pics to follow.

Last edited:
c25d07e48cc13f689952b9a5af40808f.jpg
f62e7f5b71aaaba5ed2cea3e6cfb717c.jpg
62dc45c6e89b378134cdb545c664adc8.jpg
0d2b47a5d80fa6e16e1bf16ace2e1650.jpg
bd8a3864852e78a2b403e69afd5e5e62.jpg
135c75d1bbdf89ed7b2d1e0a71c380f8.jpg
f07b7ea5016d6159524e682dcfcd8d46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It carves feather sticks really well due to the thin grind on the primary, chops through 1 inch saplings no problem, and chops almost as well as my new sog camp axe!

Congrats to the knife!

This will be interesting to follow!

Regards
Mikael

Thanks man, I'll get more pics as I go out. The testing will continue, and I'll compare it to some of my other knives. Hopefully I'll draw some good hunts, and get some real testing in. So far I'm really impressed with this knife.

Enjoy that beauty. Have had mine for a few yrs now n love it. Best knife I ever bought. I've been touting this knife from the get go. You are the only other person I've seen or heard using it. It's a beast. Use it in good health

Same here, it's not to popular, yet it's one hell of a nice knife. I don't get it. Busses run similarly priced, yet so many people have one. I'm really happy with this knife, and I have had my share of high end knives.

Thought you would like it! Glad to see it being abused! How does it compare to the BT-6?
Same here, it's not to popular, yet it's one hell of a nice knife. I don't get it. Busses run similarly priced, yet so many people have one. I'm really happy with this knife, and I have had my share of high end knives.

It's gonna get some use, that's for sure. I can't even compare the two. My volcano fits me better in every way. I'm actually waiting on a kydex for my busse and then putting up on the exchange.

Yup was not a fan of the BT-6 myself-I still have a Volcano though, beautiful knife! Enjoy!!
It's gonna get some use, that's for sure. I can't even compare the two. My volcano fits me better in every way. I'm actually waiting on a kydex for my busse and then putting up on the exchange.

Nice knife and it looks even better out in the wild being put to use. I probably looked at that knife you scored 20 times admiring it when it was for sale. It looks like it is a very well built knife too. The only Fallkniven I have right now is a user NL1- Tor which also has a wicked convex edge on it. I like Fallkniven's laminated blades and that Volcano is at the top Imo. Thanks for the review and the nice pics, Oh good looking pack of buddies you got there with you too. :thumbup:

Ha, thanks man. I don't own a safe queen, everything I buy is put to use some how. I own an h1 in vg10, an f1 pro, and this volcano. I'm really liking fallkniven so far.

I'm curious as to what you think of the laminated steel in the Volcano versus the other Fallkviven knives you own. You know the vg10 and the CoS laminated steel types, does the lamination look any different between the two steel types? What advantages does the CoS steel have over the Vg10 laminated steel I wonder.

Lam cos formula is almost identical to vg10 except a few minor differences. it wears better n longer. Keeps a.fantastic edge and is.the.most responsive steel I've ebr run across a strop. I highly recommend any knife.in this steel. The volcano is.my favorite by far n I've been a Fallkniven junkie for.a.long time

As far as how they look, there's no difference. As far as function, the cos holds an edge about twice as long as vg10 cutting rope and cardboard. Plus it sharpens back really easily. It's becoming one of my favorite steels next to cpm3v. Except it's much easier to field sharpen.

Lam cos formula is almost identical to vg10 except a few minor differences. it wears better n longer. Keeps a.fantastic edge and is.the.most responsive steel I've ebr run across a strop. I highly recommend any knife.in this steel. The volcano is.my favorite by far n I've been a Fallkniven junkie for.a.long time
Thanks sounds like a winner and I really like the convex edges too. If it's better than Fallknivens vg10 it must be good.

As far as how they look, there's no difference. As far as function, the cos holds an edge about twice as long as vg10 cutting rope and cardboard. Plus it sharpens back really easily. It's becoming one of my favorite steels next to cpm3v. Except it's much easier to field sharpen.
Twice as long, Cos must be some good steel. I've kind of been looking at the A1 pro but that ground down swedge makes it hard to commit.

dbce3dc1f10556fbe0c5204de5217382.jpg
0f6b55878d605267be90f7db0e4096f0.jpg
c01b25c6504466b7c59b68f202f2d29a.jpg
f80077687d25285915dd7d2bfb792a93.jpg
0a2049a94e974f2c120a9259baa4bb8f.jpg
heres some comparison shots next to my other knives. The volcano definitely holds its own against these bigger blades.

Those chopping pics were 15 chops a piece

Back