• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Famous blades throughout history

As a history buff I love owning famous knives through history, I'll list a few here but leave it open for others to come up with their own!

Post a picture with a brief history and if there are any modern manufacturers who make a good copy!

I'm hoping to add some to my collection and learn about others!

The Italian Stiletto:
old-stiletto.jpg

Here is an A.G.A. Campolin stiletto
The roots of the iconic "stiletto" switchblade design can be traced to the French "Chatellerault" automatic blades of the mid-1800s. Production of the first modern stiletto switchblades began in the northeastern town of Maniago somewhere between 1900 and 1920.

(Fixed blade stilettos)
First developed in Italy, the stiletto dates from the late 15th century, and is thought to be a development of the rondel dagger or misericordia, a needle-pointed weapon with a narrow blade designed primarily for thrusting, though possessing cutting edges.

Finnish Puukko:
1692e1e9b6bac8d29ef7d79e8ea92739--cross-section-knives.jpg

I own a Mauno Keränen Tommi and it is a helluva knife, it mostly gets used to open packages but I did use it for some wood carving and wow did it perform and continue to hold its edge..

The puukko is a Finnish knife, and the name lends itself to the Finnish word “puukotta,” which means “to stab/knife.” The prefix, “puu” means “wood” in Finnish. The design of the puukko is attributed to the indigenous Sami people, who created several knives to use for day to day tasks; the puukkowas the smaller option, used to skin fish or animals. Although historical records vary, the puukko dates back about 1000 years.

There is such a huge variety to this knife you could get lost, I love the curly birch look.

The Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife:
94fbdfa0d8c0c37f69a9ef2047b74116.jpg

One look at this knife and its obvious it is a cousin of the Stiletto, I added it in here because of its widespread use.

This knife is synonymous with commandos during the second World War. Designed for thrusting it was used by many famous units including: marine raiders, the OSS, British/Beligan/Dutch Commandos and even the US Army Rangers.

Feel free to add famous knives! Let this be a place of learning, I will continue to add knives as I see fit.

The Buck 110 completely revolutionized the folding knife, and of course Buck still proudly produces them here in America today.
This is not just a buck 110, but it's in the picture none the less.

Excellent addition, I still remember being 7 years old and saving my money so I could buy a buck 110... I have no idea what happened to that knife, wish I still had it!

1980ish - Original Al Mar SERE - introduced the concept of a folder which can take the place of a fixed blade. I.e. The concept behind the tactical folder.
MaFjULK.jpg

1982ish - Spyderco Worker - first modern folder. Pocket clip & one hand opening.
rbq1QBd.jpg

1985ish - Terzuola ATCF - pulled together the innovations of the early 80s into the template of the modern tactical folder we know and love today.
lzKqZgg.jpg

Last edited:
Douk Douk - in production since 1929, carried by sailors, soldiers, adventurers, one of Fred Perrins favourite knives, in some places in Africa douk douk is just another term for a "knife".

Bollock Dagger:
AH-3271.png

type of dagger with a distinctively shaped shaft, with two oval swellings at the guard resembling male testes ("bollocks"). The guard is often in one piece with the wooden grip, and reinforced on top with a shaped metal washer. The dagger was popular in Scandinavia, Flanders, Wales, Scotland and England between the 13th and 18th centuries, in particular the Tudor period.

Very cool never heard of these before, must be in the same family as the Dirk.

Douk-Douk:
12T0101_34.jpg

Originally intended as an inexpensive utility pocket knife for the ordinary working man, the popularity of the douk-doukcaused it to be pressed into service as a weapon when necessary.[1] During the 1954-1962 FLN-led revolt in Algeria, the douk-douk was used as weapon of assassination and terror; Algerians who ran afoul of the FLN frequently had their noses removed by the knife's razor-sharp blade.

I've seen these before but didn't know the history, pretty cool!

I mean, these are certainly interesting, but in the grand scheme of things, most of these knives are mere blips on the radar screen of history when compared with the broadsword, gladius, kopis, khopesh, and a few select other blades that were used to forge empires, some of which spanned continents and lasted centuries.

I love my Buck 110s, think FS knives are incredibly cool, etc. every one of these knives listed by previous posters is a great addition to this thread and deserves discussion. But if we're discussing historical significance I feel like the big picture blades are not getting the attention they deserve.

I mean, these are certainly interesting, but in the grand scheme of things, most of these knives are mere blips on the radar screen of history when compared with the broadsword, gladius, kopis, khopesh, and a few select other blades that were used to forge empires, some of which spanned continents and lasted centuries.

I love my Buck 110s, think FS knives are incredibly cool, etc. every one of these knives listed by previous posters is a great addition to this thread and deserves discussion. But if we're discussing historical significance I feel like the big picture blades are not getting the attention they deserve.

You think I wasn't going to get to those? Just didn't want to flood the first post, I friggen love ancient history and know enough about each of those blades to write up descriptions without the copy pasta, patience :)

The Kopis:
AH-4111BR.png

It is disputed where the kopis originated, its generally accepted as being a Greek blade though they've been found in Etruria, Etruscan territory. Possibly derived from the Egyptian khopesh:
8038790_orig.jpg

This blade style is obviously used for slashing rather than stabbing, and the kopis is much longer than the Greek short sword Xiphos(commonly used as a hoplites secondary weapon)
Xiphos(Courtesy zombie tools):
xiphos-photo.png

A Xiphos was commonly 50-60 cm (even as short as 30cm) where a Kopis was often as long as 65cm.

It is even suggested that this weapon style made it as far as Nepal when Alexander the Great's army made it into India and inspired the khukuri:
sirupate-gurkha-khukuri-khukri-kukrri-kukri-fix-blade-sharp-knife-11-inch-b847665f92f0816bb508626bf48d78f5.jpg

The Nepalese have made this blade style famous, but most people don't know about the history of ancient Iberia, pre-Roman times and the Falcata:
IP-086-2.png

Scutarii named for their shield (the Scutum) put this blade to great use against one another, the Carthaginians and finally the Romans. The Romans had great trouble in subduing Spain and suffered multiple embarrassing defeats often to smaller armies. The Celt-Iberian's would also spawn another famous blade...

The Gladius:
1200px-Roman_gladius-transparent.png

“Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.”
Tibullus

Reactions: vba
Back