Father Son tantos

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My son had finally gotten around to being interested in making and designing a knife. His basic concept was handles similar to the Becker Knife and Tool handle with a tanto styled blade. He drew up the concept and I helped clean up the drawing. I also talked him into a smoother point transition style to keep the knife as more utilitarian than "fighter" since he does intend to carry this on Scouting trips. He did a lot of the work himself learning how to use the metal cutting bandsaw. drill press, and Bader grinder. Oh and the most important knifemaker's tools, sandpaper and files!!!!! By the way, teenagers do not enjoy hand sanding! The final design ended up at about 11 3/8in overall with a 6in blade. We used .200 thick 5160 for the steel. His wears the natural jade green G10 and mine has natural linen micarta. He couldn't wait to get his sharpened up and sat in his chair working on the edge. when he showed me the results, I was truly impressed! A real shaving sharp edge!!!! Apparently he was paying attention to me all these years:) Very proud of his work on these and we had some of my most stressful(Kids and shop equipment=STRESS!!!) but enjoyable days in the show with him :D

AWESOME Father & Son collaboration mate-the experience will never be forgotten-good on ya & thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a cool design!
Make sure to give Billy a pat on the back. :thumbup:
I think it's really neat that he's taken up an interest in knife making.

A Bill Siegle knife. Designed by Billy Siegle. Very cool!

Very useful design your son dreamed up. He did a great job with those!

Awesome knives ,your son is lucky to have a dad that spends time with him ,keep up the great work Bill

Back