Favorite Firestarters? Ferro/Strikers/Fuel

We've all tried them, and if you're like me, you have at least a dozen ways to start a fire in your kit/bugoutbag. This is by far my favorite. Self contained in a water resistant/floating tube, comes with a carbide striker attached to the 3/8" ferro rod, and 8 maxistarters. I've never liked the 3 rod ferro rods, I prefer a beast of a rod- you get a better spark. And I don't always like using a knife as a striker. I much prefer a designated striker, and this one has plenty to hold, which can be crucial. These Maxistarters- way better than the petroleum/cottonballs (of course I have a pill bottle full of them as a backup anyway)
Ferro_kit_3.jpg

strike force.jpg I've been using and demonstrating with Strike Forces for many years. I like that it has a designated striker and that the form factor is big enough to manipulate with gloves, mittens, or hands that are starting to lose dexterity, yet still have a small overall form factor. Bonus that you can store your favorite tinder. And that rod can spit out some SERIOUS sparks.

url

I like the gobspark from firesteels.com
The guy ron really has the fomulation of the ferro rod down. Not cheap but they really are in a league of their own. Easy to use with gloves too. And its bright safety orange so its tough to lose. They have a built in scraper which is pretty good. i feel a really sharp hard spine works better for getting a blast of sparks. They make all kinds of different sized ferro rods. From tiny to FREAKING HUGE. I like the 3/8 x 5 or 6.

As for tinder/fuel to get a fire going,
I like Pinefireshop. I found them on instagram and they make tons of different syles of tinder and fire starters. All natural and he tests all of them. My favorite has to be the CSX (cotton sandy Extreme). Its a cotton, resin impregnated fire starter. It has magnesium shavings and little peices of fatwood (tiny). Its basically cotton balls impregnated lighrly with resin and flammible stuff. Not pretty but very easy to use.
You break off or pull some out of the bag, fluff it slightly and 1 or 2 good strikes with a ferro rod and boom fire.
The kits are the best bang for the buck. Multiple items so you can figure out what you like.
The lava bombs are pretty great too. Harder to light but 15ish minute burn time.

Back