Fiddleback User Weekend May 5-7, Hiawassee, GA - Schedule Posted

Admit it, whether you have one Fiddleback or fifty it is likely way too damn pretty. Try as you might, that patina just can’t get going and the edge just lasts for months and months without need for sharpening. Well, that all changes the weekend of May 5-7. Southern Gent Outdoors will be hosting the first Use Your Fiddleback Weekend at the Southern Gent farm located in Hiawassee, GA.

The weekend will be packed with instruction, comradery and of course, plenty of Fiddleback use. Renowned instructors Kevin Estela and Brian Griffin will be sharing their vast knowledge in a hands on environment the like you will have never experienced and the Fiddleback crew will be there too. The cost per attendee will be $165 and with your contribution you will receive two days of instruction, meals, class materials and plenty of cold beer and cigars throughout the weekend. We’ll set up camp on site at the farm and tent for the weekend. A detailed suggested packing list will be provided.

Since the mission of this weekend is to share knowledge in a small group and often in a one on one environment, the class size will be limited to 16 attendees. If anyone participating wants to bring a minor for the experience, the only requirement will be that the minor’s guardian take full responsibility and that they are capable of carrying and handling a knife on their own.

We are planning the weekend with the attendees’ interests in mind, so the final schedule will be based upon the feedback of those attending. Topics that may be covered, but not limited to are: 72 hour survival, fire making techniques, land navigation, edible plants, knife sharpening techniques, making primitive weapons, improvised tools, knots, ditch medicine, spoon carving, ect.

More details to follow as there will be many additions to share in the upcoming weeks and I plan on adding more to the pot to make this an unforgettable experience as we get closer to the weekend. Feel free to reach out if you have any particular questions regarding the weekend.

Cheers,

Justen

Last edited:
List Of Attendees:

Instructors: Kevin Estela and Brian Griffin

Hosts: Fiddleback Crew & Southern Gent

Attendees:
1. Luca917 +2
2. Kal-El
3. Estela Sidekick
4. RLO
5. Theo B
6. Carmen M
7. Odaon
8. Darth Blader
9. Mike B.
10. CREX
11. Rob Falkenhayn - Exotac Founder & President
12. Uncle P
13. Russell Reece
14. PolRoger
15. Fiddleback Outpost
16. heat treat

aaf19857cd65e5f4a7e0afe34392aa27.jpg

FAQ:

Q: I'm interested in coming, but I have some questions I need answered first, who do I contact?
A: PM Southern Gent or email me at jcimino@ngkf.com. Questions are encouraged.

Q: I'm flying, so what is the closest airport and how do I get there?
A: Heartsfield Jackson in Atlanta is the airport and once all of the attendees are signed up we will coordinate any additional transportation for those coming without a vehicle.

Q: Why are there only 16 slots available?
A: The intention of this weekend is to ensure every attendee gets top-notch, one on one instruction with best in class instructors and that everyone leaves with at least 15 other new friends and the best opportunity to spend quality time with existing ones.

Q: Is this weekend only open to people on this forum?
A: No, people outside this forum are welcome to attend and the word is getting out. In general, I anticipate the vast majority to be Fiddleback friends and family.

Q: What do I need to bring?
A: More on this to come, but you should need no more than your clothes, knives and tools of your choice that you want for the weekend and sleeping arrangements, i.e. tent, hammock, sleeping bag and pad...If you are not capable of bringing any of these items let me know ahead of time and I'll have you covered.

Q: When can we arrive and in general what will we be doing?
A: The basic schedule will be as follows: Arrive on Friday the 5th anytime after noon. Shenanigans start promptly at 12:01 pm. This will continue until you either put yourself to bed or you fall into either the creek or one of the two springs on the property. Friday will also include some time of informal instruction. Saturday will jammed full of instruction starting after breakfast until after dark, with breaks scattered throughout the day. Shenanigans to continue throughout the day and into the night. Sunday will be pack up day and any other informal training will happen until Kevin and Brian have to hit the road.

Q: What exactly am I'm committing to do if I attend?
A: If you have ever taken one of Jeff Randall's field survival courses, this will be the polar opposite of that. There will be lots of learning and practicing of the skills we want to use our knives and tools for everyday, but this will be the most relaxed setting you have ever done this in. You can immerse yourself in bushlore the entire weekend, or you can sit on a stump drinking beer and smoking cigars. I plan on dividing my time equally at 50/50.

Q: Will there be knives for purchase and can we trade.
A: Yes and Yes. Andy and Allen are planning on bringing a variety of knives for purchase and feel free to bring your collection as well.

Last edited:
The crew and I will be there. Can't wait. This is a chance to really cut loose in the woods together. Great idea J.

FYI. I've had some good logistical fortunes and have been able to adjust the cost down to $165 per attendee.

Boy do I really want to go to this! I know I can't make it this year, but if it becomes an annual/continually occurring event I'll try to plan for next year. Sounds fricken awesome.

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear about it! :thumbup:

EDIT: turns out I was wrong, I'll be there! :D

Last edited:
This looks so very cool. Traveling from AZ for this event is not feasible for me, but I wish it was. Please, take lots of pics so that I can enjoy the event from afar.

I want in! Come on Odaon!

Gosh, I want to real bad! It would be a bit more expensive for me, flight, and probably a rental car and all. I'll continue thinking real hard about trying to make it work. Also my girlfriend's birthday is the 3rd, could be a tough sell!

Gosh, I want to real bad! It would be a bit more expensive for me, flight, and probably a rental car and all. I'll continue thinking real hard about trying to make it work. Also my girlfriend's birthday is the 3rd, could be a tough sell!

dont sell her, bring her with you

Damn, I would come for sure but I'm away til end of May. I'm sure you guys are going to have a great weekend. Really wish I could be apart of it.

What better birthday present could you give. Fly in on the 4th, have a night in the city with the GF, then head up to the mountains for the weekend. I've taken measures to make sure that if the only thing you could bring was yourself then you would be covered. Transportation can be arranged, food and shelter are included. Book it :).

What better birthday present could you give. Fly in on the 4th, have a night in the city with the GF, then head up to the mountains for the weekend. I've taken measures to make sure that if the only thing you could bring was yourself then you would be covered. Transportation can be arranged, food and shelter are included. Book it :).

The GF didn't seem too interested, plus she has a pretty tight work schedule would be tough to get a couple days off for her, but she did say that I could go if I wanted to... Hmmmm. Guess I'll need to look at my May schedule. There's a slight chance that I could actually make this work!

Boy do I really want to go to this! I know I can't make it this year, but if it becomes an annual/continually occurring event I'll try to plan for next year. Sounds fricken awesome.

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear about it! :thumbup:

+1 to this!

Although I've been planning for a while, given family stuff this year, Blade '17 will tough to swing as it is. This would be really awesome! And so would a Trac Rock at some point too.

What an awesome idea Justen! I would love to make it out if I can swing it. Thanks for putting this together!

The GF didn't seem too interested, plus she has a pretty tight work schedule would be tough to get a couple days off for her, but she did say that I could go if I wanted to... Hmmmm. Guess I'll need to look at my May schedule. There's a slight chance that I could actually make this work!

Sounds like a trap hahah jkjk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a trap hahah jkjk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah! I had considered that. I asked again today just to see if she was actually serious, sure enough she said she would be cool with it. We'll see...

Justen, are we reserving spots yet?

And Odaon...just think about the abuse...uh...I meant camaraderie...that will take place around the campfire?

Your gonna hate yourself if you don't come and we start posting pics on here!!! Hahahahaha!

(Seriously, that's a damn expensive trip. Just messing with ya bud. But Abe, well Abe has no excuse now that he can't carry a blade. So what if it costs him a few thousand to make the trip! I doubt the magistrates down there are going to come looking for him over here when he misses his court date.)

Back