Fiddleback User Weekend May 5-7, Hiawassee, GA - Schedule Posted

dcf19bdb7e520621500e1512ca285a1f.jpg

Hold up, there's a house?! :confused:

;)

I wish I could join everyone, but I can't make the logistics work at this time-- with or without "camping." :p

A fantastic premise, and so many of you I'd love to meet. :thumbup:

~ P.

Hold up, there's a house?! :confused:

;)

I wish I could join everyone, but I can't make the logistics work at this time-- with or without "camping." :p

A fantastic premise, and so many of you I'd love to meet. :thumbup:

~ P.

House yes, bunkhouse no [emoji6]. It is a magical place I've enjoyed for many years and I'm grateful of the opportunity to share it with everyone and create an epic event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG,
I do want to attend. So I don't mung up this thread with details, email incoming.

Preston

Hey everyone,

I'm really excited to meet the extended Fiddleback Forge family and help you get those beautiful blades dirty. Justen asked me to stop by this thread and poke my head in. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to post them here. I will promise you this, there will be no shortage of instruction that weekend and you will definitely want to caffeinate if you want to keep up with me. I have a tendency to go and go and go and go. Feel free to take pictures, take notes, make the occasional video or whatever. You'll find no question is off-limits with me and if I don't have an answer for you, I'll make sure I find one for you. I'd suggest you take a look at the blog posts I've done for the Fiddleback Forge Blog over the past couple years. Expect to see some of those topics taught along with basic fire craft, shelter making, water purification, signaling techniques and much more. We will have to compress some topics as we only have a couple days to work together. Rest assured, if this goes over well, I'll be open to coming back down again.

For now, here is my author's page on the Fiddleback Forge blog. Look for my other articles in the archives. http://www.fiddlebackforge.com/index.cfm/about-fiddleback-forge/kevin-estela/

Hey Kev,
I'm looking forward to meeting you and learning a few things. Thanks for checking in!

Sergio

I don't think I'll be able to attend the Trackrock event this spring (scheduling conflict) but I'd like to sign up for this weekend! It looks like it will be both fun and educational. :thumbup:

And I have just confirmed schedules so if I count correctly and you will take a lurker I would like to attend as well.

Thanks,
Jim

Good to hear from you Kev! Well, it looks like we are all booked up for the weekend. If you haven't yet sent me an email please do so ASAP and I will be sending out info and updates in a separate email chain.

In case anyone is wondering, there is a basic list of gear you should have with you that will make this weekend more enjoyable and educational. If you aren't used to my style of teaching, it is heavy on learning skills. I will demonstrate a skill, explain it, and then walk you through it as you try it on your own. This weekend will not be lecture heavy...well...at least until we get around the fire after dark and the bourbon starts flowing and the stories follow. Plan on having some gear with you to keep up and try out the skills with your own kit.

Here's what you should have
1. Knife (knives!)
2. Ferro Rod and premade tinder (vaseline cotton balls)
3. Metal canteen/billy pot (something to boil in)
4. Flashlight (headlight is better)
5. Paracord (The more the better. Jute twine will be useful too)
6. Compass (we will likely have little time for navigation but you should have a decent base plate compass)
7. First-Aid Kit (just in case)
8. Whistle and mirror (you should have this on you at all times)
9. Trapping/Snaring Wire and Fishing Kit (I'll show you what you can build up, show up with braided picture hanging wire at the very least)
10. Poncho/Tarp (we will make basic shelters with these. A poncho is good for you, a 10'x10' tarp is king)

You'll find a decent folding saw will help with cutting saplings and a pad/pen will be useful for notes. Bug dope and sun block will be appreciated in the elements and rain gear (jacket and pants) will beat a poncho. A decent rucksack or shoulder bag to carry your basic kit will be easier than stuffing your pockets. Depending on the amount of time we have and how quickly we get through other skills, we may make bannock and a mess kit to use over the fire will be easier than using a green stick. Any other gear you bring will be up to you.

Hit me up if you have any questions about what to pack. estelawildernesseducation at Gmail dot com.

Awesome. I didn't think of some of these things for my mental packing list. Thanks! Can't wait!

Kev,

Thanks for saving me an email with your last post. If anyone has issues with pulling any of this gear together prior to the event let me know. I'll be compiling supplies between now and May to be sure everyone has what they need to fully participate. In addition to the training, comradrery, and afore mentioned bourbon, there will be a number of surprises in store for everyone who is attending. Here is a sneak peak of just one item everyone will be able to go home with...

aada47ced404b877ec49b1e3a8a85de2.jpg

Kev,

Thanks for saving me an email with your last post. If anyone has issues with pulling any of this gear together prior to the event let me know. I'll be compiling supplies between now and May to be sure everyone has what they need to fully participate. In addition to the training, comradrery, and afore mentioned bourbon, there will be a number of surprises in store for everyone who is attending. Here is a sneak peak of just one item everyone will be able to go home with...

aada47ced404b877ec49b1e3a8a85de2.jpg

That's awesome!

That's super cool Justen!! Man every day I get more excited about this.

Back