Fileworked Hunter w/ Koa, hamon, damascus fittings...

Here's one I finished a while back for a really good guy/collector. I couldn't do this one any photo justice so I had to send it for pro photos.

Specs:
Hand-forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched and etched
9 1/4" overall, 4 3/8" blade, .195 thick at the ricasso
Full distal taper
'Twisted Steel' fileworked spine
Rounded ricasso edge
Fluted damascus fittings
Heat colored and coined titanium spacer
Stabilized premium Curly Koa handle
Damascus bolt cover

Thank you for the great photo work Coop! Your work never disappoints.

All comments and discussion welcome.
32487176440_edaba51d00_c.jpg

And some details:
32714702842_b1a6b48796_c.jpg

Amazing, as with most of your knives I've seen.

I'd really like to know how you do that groove on the butt of the handle... If you don't want to give up the goods I fully understand. :)

Beautiful work. Is the concave 1/4 round on the butt done with a small round file or is there an easier answer to this good looking "butt work"?

Amazing, as with most of your knives I've seen.

I'd really like to know how you do that groove on the butt of the handle... If you don't want to give up the goods I fully understand. :)

I would recommend taking a look at his instagram or some of his older posts. You'll find a picture that shows you how. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes the fluting on the butt end of the handle is done with a round file then cleaned up with sandpaper around the file. It's all by hand and eye. No layout, no scribe lines.....just eyeballed. I don't even think I know a good way to do it with any layout lines or power tools. Like so much else in finishing a knife....it all comes down to the handwork.

My thanks as well. I tried this on a scrap piece of walnut. I gotta try a little harder, but it was not too ugly!

hey john... i promise this is the last time i compliment one of your knives until you get one that looks better than this one. every one of your hunters in this style is perfect, but this one is my favorite so far. phenomenal piece

Incredible work!!

Back