Firearm Recommendations?

I need help choosing a proper gun but the thing is, I live in NY so I'm very limited. The purpose would be for home defense/SHTF, I'm looking for a semi automatic rifle as well.

Last edited:
You live in New York? You might as well just write off the rifle right now. Nothing available but the goofy "NY compliant" stuff, that's a can of worms in and of itself.

You live in New York? You might as well just write off the rifle right now. Nothing available but the goofy "NY compliant" stuff, that's a can of worms in and of itself.
I know man it's sad, however there is a slight bit of hope which I don't think would happen is "new amsterdam", have you heard of it?

Whoa, I bought a Glock 19 20+ years ago up there, but have been in the Southern US for the last 18. PIA, paperwork, paperwork, money, paperwork. Best advice is to choose wisely can't just buy and sell willy nilly like the free Americas.

My first thought was "not this again." :rolleyes: These threads usual deteriorate into "this is what I have" without paying an attention to where you are and the limitations of what you can own.

My first suggestion is that you find an indoor range where you can rent and try various handguns. If there is no place for you to practice, there is little point in even owning a handgun.

Charlie_K is right. Where would you shoot a rifle in NY? From what I have read, if you are in NYC, even traveling with a firearm can be daunting.

If you are serious, go to a gun shop or several if there are any and see what they have that's legal in NY.

Reactions: MVF
Whoa, I bought a Glock 19 20+ years ago up there, but have been in the Southern US for the last 18. PIA, paperwork, paperwork, money, paperwork. Best advice is to choose wisely can't just buy and sell willy nilly like the free Americas.
That is true, even if I do find a rifle it will probably get banned in the future until we look like Europe lol I guess the 2A doesn't apply here.

My first thought was "not this again." :rolleyes: These threads usual deteriorate into "this is what I have" without paying an attention to where you are and the limitations of what you can own.

My first suggestion is that you find an indoor range where you can rent and try various handguns. If there is no place for you to practice, there is little point in even owning a handgun.

Charlie_K is right. Where would you shoot a rifle in NY? From what I have read, if you are in NYC, even traveling with a firearm can be daunting.

If you are serious, go to a gun shop or several if there are any and see what they have that's legal in NY.
I'm not from downstate, they are the ones that control everyone else, we love guns here but downstate hates them, also I can't own a pistol yet I'm 20 atm it also takes a year to get a permit so I'll be 22 :/ that's why I'm asking for recommendations, I keep getting recommended mini 30s but they suck

Also Gun shops don't have a wide variety either so I usually order some, my first gun was the 590a1 & I got a magpul stock & I barely feel any of the recoil or the shoulder aches afterwards, All they had was the 590 and 870 at the gun shops around here. If you want something of higher quality you have to order it pretty much like most things like knives.

Last edited:
Any states around you have ranges that let you rent and try out different guns? If I think about all the guns I've bought and sold, but then the ones I really wanted that took years to find and the ones I actually kept and why....
  • Glock 19 Bought 20+ years ago and still the most often used (range & carry) firearm I own. FWIW, also the least cleaned, a tank, easy to use, everyone has one. Over the years added other 9mm Glocks (another 19, 26, 17, 17L) and set up sights and triggers to be identical. 1 holster fits all of them. I can count on 1 hand the number of malfunctions (not training induced) I've had and all were ammo related (I'm a cheapskate).
  • Ruger 10/22 Bought 1st one 15+ years ago, sold and bought different versions over the last 10 years. 5 years ago bought a takedown model and will own it forever. Use it for Appleseed shoots and other range use. It's my Glock of .22's.
  • Sig Trailside .22 Pistol Bought 15+ years ago at my first gunshow when I moved to Florida. Still my favorite .22 pistol. Can't really get them anymore easily, I think the are Hammerli's now? .22 pistols can be a lot of fun and shoot cheap ammo, so a nice option, especially a revolver (see below)
  • Sig P series anything. Expensive and worth it. Bought and sold many over the years, settled on owning West German versions from the 80's and buy every one I see (<$ as well). Surgical instruments that will outlast humankind. Sig runs a fathers day special each year, so when I find an old West German one, like the P225, I sent it to sig and for $99 plus shipping they, cleaned, lubed, replaced worn parts and springs and installed new night sights ($100 on their own). Factory new on the inside worn with character tack driver on the outside.
  • CZ CZ CZ A friend of mine let me shoot his CZ75 POS at the range one day. Fell in love and own 1/2 dozen of them. Great ergonomics, indestructible, accurate, but odd in their own way. P07/P09 are tough to beat and very inexpensive, like $400 retail or less.
  • AR-15 You're in NYC, so this is probably out. When you leave the NE, buy one (Colt) at a gunshow, or build one. Just amazing misunderstood engineering that defines a great battle rifle which can be used in calibers from .22 up to .308 and beyond.
  • AK47 You're in NYC, so this is probably out. When you leave the NE, buy one at a gunshow. Ammo is cheap and shooting mine makes me smile. Again, amazing misunderstood engineering that defines a great battle rifle in essentially .22 and .308 caliber (5.56X45 and 7.62X39)
  • Revolver of choice There are so many options, but stick with S&W or Ruger. Again, amazing misunderstood engineering that defines a great handgun. Can be had in .22->.500 caliber for carry to hunting applications.
  • Oddities. Stay away from the oddballs, the cool newest thing. You'll waste a year waiting for the permit and hate the oddball the minute you get it. If you could sell at a gunshow and buy something else, get an oddball, but in your case avoid them like the plague. Examples would be Keltec 9mm folding carbine, FN 5.7, etc. There fun, but not for forever. My favorite is my HK P7. It's a made in the 80's precision german oddity (8 round heel mag release) that is cool, shoots like a dream, and gets people to stop shooting next to me every time I take it to the range. Wanted for 20+ years, bought last year.
  • Training If you're going to buy a firearm, save money for some training and take some or a lot as your time or budget allows. I thought this was BS when someone told me this, but I was wrong 1000%
  • Competition The same as training. Lots of competition options, high and low budget, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, probably close to you some where (maybe over the border). Another form of practice with winning and losing involved. Training and IDPA made me the shooter I am today. Competent, deliberate, social, safe. Nothing teaches gun safety better than having someone (Trainer, range officer) callout your unsafe actions as no one is perfect 100% of the time.

I'm not from NYC but I agree with everything else you said, how much training cost? Also I can't not get a permit because I would be breaking the law. Also what is NE? I know a lot about pistols but what I'm looking for is a good semi auto rifle with a removable mag... I can't break the law lol ide rather move, I know a lot of people like to build them from 80% uppers but I wouldn't want to be caught up in that, it's also hard to do.

NE-Northeast. Training is very reasonable. These days a 2-3 day course from great trainer that roams nationally between ranges can be had for <$600. Classes in the north are usually in PA, VA, and NC. My wife took a 2 day class in FL and went from afraid of guns to a very competent shooter able to place good hits, reload quickly and clear malfunctions

Ruger 10/22 would fit the bill perfectly. Pricing starts low and goes as high as you want (Standard very customizable platform with huge aftermarket following). Ammo is inexpensive with low recoil.

Also informal training like Appleseed (some in Saratoga Springs and Livingston) which would go great with the 10/22. You could pick up the 10/22 as a newbie, do a 2 day appleseed for $60 and be very competent at the end of the weekend. That how I really learned to use my 10/22, I do 2-3 Appleseed shoots a year.

I can't imagine living in a state that forces you to buy redesigned, neutered guns and accessories.

It's not even worth the effort IMO. Personally, I would just save my money until I could move and buy what I really wanted.

It seems kind of silly to jump though a bunch of hoops just for a gun you probably don't even really want and can never legally carry.

Anything I could possibly suggest or recommend is likely illegal where you live.

ndmiller , don't ever think that the P7 heel mag release is a problem ! You release by a forward push !! If you think it's slow talk to some of the ROs who saw me shoot. They ask "how can he reload that fast " ?? Very fast once you've learned how !

I can't imagine living in a state that forces you to buy redesigned, neutered guns and accessories.

It's not even worth the effort IMO. Personally, I would just save my money until I could move and buy what I really wanted.

It seems kind of silly to jump though a bunch of hoops just for a gun you probably don't even really want and can never legally carry.

Anything I could possibly suggest or recommend is likely illegal where you live.
Well actually I was thinking for a bit and maybe an sks would be good, it's cheap and I can just add mags to it. Or a saiga 7.62 sporter, if it's legal in California it has to be legal in ny.. but then again you're right my dream gun is a gun from daniel defense.

Mossberg 590 9 shot heat shield w/bayo lug all day! :thumbsup: Rifle, I'm not familiar with your local laws.:confused: If OK mini 14 (different capacity mags available and not TOO threatening looking); if not, Remington 740 sportsman, good looking and multiple calibers. Also, socially acceptable. :rolleyes:

I
Mossberg 590 9 shot heat shield w/bayo lug all day! :thumbsup: Rifle, I'm not familiar with your local laws.:confused: If OK mini 14 (different capacity mags available and not TOO threatening looking); if not, Remington 740 sportsman, good looking and multiple calibers. Also, socially acceptable. :rolleyes:
I Like all of your suggestions , I actually have a 590a1 w a surefire forend , a magpul stock & spitfire armory fiber sights but I heard the mini 14 wasn't reliable , that nutn fancy guy made a video about it. It kept jamming on him & it can't run after market mags + the stock mags are like 40-50$

nutnfancy should stick to knives. :rolleyes: No rifle will be reliable with cheap, junk aftermarket mags, but quality is available (promag 20s-not so much 30s and tapco genIIs come to mind) though factory mags are best. 20s, which I prefer, can be had for $30 or so. :thumbsup:

The Ruger Mini 14s and Mini 30s are much better with accuracey these days with the new barrels ... and do offer 5 round magazines which would be legal there and all the way up to 30 round if you go elsewhere ... Springfield Armory offers the A1 Scout type rifle with 10 round magazines ... Ruger also has a Scout Rifle in 308 its a bolt action but nice Scout type rifle ...

As far as handguns other then magazine restrictions Im not positive if there are other restrictions you have where you live but most manufactures offer limited capacity magazines because of those areas that think limiting round count is a must.

So first reccomendation as to anyone anywhere ... find a range where you can rent and try various firearms to find what you enjoy and what you shoot best ... and definately best find a range where you can get some instruction ... basic firearms safety and lessons in shooting technique.

The Ruger 10/22 mentioned is a great starter rifle and practice and makes the transition to the Ruger Mini 14s and Mini 30s pretty simple.

Hopefully someday you'll have the same rights as most to buy and own what you want legally. But if you can find gunshops and ranges they are good places to learn and get to feel various guns.

Last edited:
I know man it's sad, however there is a slight bit of hope which I don't think would happen is "new amsterdam", have you heard of it?

I can't say that I have. This is my first hearing of "New Amsterdam" and looking it up on google turns up a lot of stuff with no clarification as to what's relevant and what's not. If dutch colonization isn't relevant to the reference, I really don't wanna spend time reading up on it.

1776, in response to your post #13, there is an SKS paratrooper (may sometimes go by a different name). It is shorter and VERY effective with hollow points at short range (other loads will help at longer range). I have one and:thumbsup:

ndmiller , don't ever think that the P7 heel mag release is a problem ! You release by a forward push !! If you think it's slow talk to some of the ROs who saw me shoot. They ask "how can he reload that fast " ?? Very fast once you've learned how !

Not at all just an oddity the entire thing. Very fast with it, very light, soft shooting, conceals well and tack driver for sure.

Back