Firearm Recommendations?

Buy a Sig 239 and you're set all of the way around.

There's still a lot of rifle options too. Look at the Ares if you like the AR platform.

No way I would go without regardless of where I lived. I couldn't live in a place that was that limited. Get protected whatever you have to do.

I have quite a bit of experience with 740's and 7400's.
The truth is they aren't meant for lots of shooting and they aren't the most reliable semi auto, can be quite ammo picky. They can wear out in 500-800 rounds. I had to file the inside of my dad's 740 308 because the rails inside were beaten and peened over.
They're basically a shotgun action adapted to rifle rounds. They work and are great for hunting, but if self defense is ever a factor there are better options. I'd go for the 336 before the 740/7400.
Mag capacity is an issue as well. The aftermarket 10 rounders are very hit or miss.

I have quite a bit of experience with 740's and 7400's.
The truth is they aren't meant for lots of shooting and they aren't the most reliable semi auto, can be quite ammo picky. They can wear out in 500-800 rounds. I had to file the inside of my dad's 740 308 because the rails inside were beaten and peened over.
They're basically a shotgun action adapted to rifle rounds. They work and are great for hunting, but if self defense is ever a factor there are better options. I'd go for the 336 before the 740/7400.
Mag capacity is an issue as well. The aftermarket 10 rounders are very hit or miss.
Yeah i did some reading on it and it's not very reliable for self defense because it jams a lot. But I do know the marlin is really good but wouldn't a semi auto gun be better for self/home defense? Unless you're a good shot w a lever action rifle.

Yeah i did some reading on it and it's not very reliable for self defense because it jams a lot. But I do know the marlin is really good but wouldn't a semi auto gun be better for self/home defense? Unless you're a good shot w a lever action rifle.

The biggest advantage with a semi vs lever action is reloading. Realistically you can shoot a lever gun almost as fast as a semi auto.
If it were me I'd go 12 gauge pump before a lever rifle. I'm not sure if all the ins and outs of getting any kind of AR-15 in NY state but if it's possible then that is about the best long gun if home defense is the main reason to have it. But I would not feel under gunned with a good Rem 870 12ga with a 7 or 8 shot tube.

The biggest advantage with a semi vs lever action is reloading. Realistically you can shoot a lever gun almost as fast as a semi auto.
If it were me I'd go 12 gauge pump before a lever rifle. I'm not sure if all the ins and outs of getting any kind of AR-15 in NY state but if it's possible then that is about the best long gun if home defense is the main reason to have it. But I would not feel under gunned with a good Rem 870 12ga with a 7 or 8 shot tube.
I do have a shotgun, it's the 590a1.

BLR, nice rifle; so are a lot of others. You already have what you NEED (Mossberg), you are really talking about what you WANT. ;) Sooooo, two things to consider: 1) Overpenetration=shooting through the perp, your wall, and your neighbor-not good :thumbsdown: 2) The CIVIL trial which will likely occur. When (not if) the attorney for the grieving family of the poor thief you shot dead holds up an AK or AR for the jury you can kiss all you own goodbye. :rolleyes: So, use the Mossberg (do not use slugs) for home defense and get whatever floats your boat for SHTF (just check it out as best you can before you buy). :cool:

katanas said it. You spend some time getting good with that mossy and learn some reloading tricks and you'll be just as effective as anyone with a 10 shot AR, with the advantage of a more versatile firearm.
But if you just want an AR or AK I'm certainly not going to say that would be bad.
The legal recourse point was valid as well, and worth considering. Legal self defense should be legal self defense, but some states are a little less free than others.

I have a BLR in .243. I absolutely love it. But would take your shotgun for home defnese over it.

Beretta 1301 Tactical- good, reliable and fast 12-Ga semi-auto.

SKS in any flavor is good to go so long as you haven't added a detachable magazine; the internal mag, only. 7.62x39 is abundant and cheap. For the same reason, the M1 Garand is good to go but the .30-06 has a lot of energy for short distances.

When (not if) the attorney for the grieving family of the poor thief you shot dead holds up an AK or AR for the jury you can kiss all you own goodbye.

You know what? I've been hearing this same sort of message for years now, but I've never seen a single instance of such being the case, so I'm calling bull**** until there's actual proof that this isn't just some rumor floating around meant to scare people out of owning cool, modern firearms, because of some supposed legal boogeyman. I want to see cases where this was proven as being fact, where the self defense was absolutely legal, but the jury still convicted the defendant because the firearm used was the sole, swaying factor that convinced them otherwise. If I don't actually see proof of such, I'm not believing it. I want cases where lawyers have represented clients and lost cases, who can attest that this is absolutely the truth, and nothing but the truth. I want case numbers, defendant names, and everything else that would show that such has not only happened, but was upheld by courts of appeal all the way up to the supreme court. I want to see courts rule that even if the gun used was perfectly legal, it still invalidates the claim of self defense and amounts to proof of first degree murder.

Until I see proof of such, it's nothing but internet bull****.

Knock yourself out! :rolleyes: Perhaps you will get first hand experience. :( You might also want to look up the difference between "criminal" and "civil" trials and evidentiary requirements. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Knock yourself out! :rolleyes: Perhaps you will get first hand experience. :( You might also want to look up the difference between "criminal" and "civil" trials and evidentiary requirements. :rolleyes:

I'm not the one who made the claim about a particular firearm being used invalidating a claim of self defense. If you have proof of concept I want to see it.

I haven't been in W&C in a long time. I wish this were there, I'd be back. :) At the least, your reading skills need attention since my post had nothing to do with a claim of self defense. :rolleyes: One last time, check the differences between "criminal" and "civil"; lotsa luck if you are ever in the situation described. :eek: To others, I'm trying NOT to derail this thread, but some of the weapons being considered by the OP and others may fall into this, quite unnecessary, quagmire of the "civil" justice system. If the above poster would like to carry this on, it will have to be in W&C for me to participate any further.

I haven't been in W&C in a long time. I wish this were there, I'd be back. :) At the least, your reading skills need attention since my post had nothing to do with a claim of self defense. :rolleyes: One last time, check the differences between "criminal" and "civil"; lotsa luck if you are ever in the situation described. :eek: To others, I'm trying NOT to derail this thread, but some of the weapons being considered by the OP and others may fall into this, quite unnecessary, quagmire of the "civil" justice system. If the above poster would like to carry this on, it will have to be in W&C for me to participate any further.
Wouldn't you know if it's criminal or civil depending on the state? I know if you shoot an invader where I live (NY) without being in a room you can't escape you will be imprisoned, we aren't a stand your ground state.

1776, there can be "criminal" or "civil" or both. A "civil" suit is usually filed by the family for monetary damages and has nothing (or little) to do with whether criminal charges are filed. I wish Thomas Linton was around.;)

I can't imagine living in a state that hates guns so much but I do have some suggestions.
A semi auto rifle might be a problem. Try a pump or lever action. That might not scare the ninnies who make the decisions on what you can buy.:rolleyes:
A shotgun is a good idea. A Remington 870 is always a good choice.
For a home defense handgun I like revolvers. You get six shots for sure with no malfunctions. A .38 Special or .357 Magnum with a 4 or 5" barrel is best. Once again, they are not as scary to the Snowflakes.:cool:
Jim

Alright then, my error. But should we really believe, without a shred of evidence to support it, that in a country where at least eight million AR-15s are legally owned, to say nothing of AK-47s and countless other similar specimens, not a single owner of any one of these modern rifles, has ever used one for the purpose of self defense, and actually triumphed in civil matters against the family of the deceased? It simply doesn't happen? I find that very hard to accept. If civil cases were being lost on the sole basis of the firearm that was used, it would be news that'd be all over the internet. And yet it's not. In today's world it's literally impossible to keep such news from getting out.

Last edited:
Back