First (budget) karambit

Hello people,

I am looking to get started with karambits and first off I would like a very cheap, simple karambit that I can practice flipping a lot with.
After this, I will move on to more advanced things and a better karambit.

Looking for a karambit that qualifies to the following:
- 25$ or lower
- Must be foldable
- Good shape for flipping, finger hole and smooth shape
- Easy to handle

I am clueless on where to look and what karambit I should be looking at.

If anyone has some advice on what karambit would be best I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you!

A folding Karambit under $25?

The cheapest one I've seen is a cheesy "urban camo" Smith & Wesson model that sells for around $17USD

That said, if all you want is something to practice twirling around with, you'd be safer with a blunt trainer rather than one with a sharp blade.

Welcome to BladeForums.

A karambit is NOT a knife that I would buy a cheap or budget version of. Get a trainer blade if you want to get a feel for one. Preferably training too.

If you want to flip a knife buy a balisong. Karambits aren't really meant to be flipped just extended.

Thanks for the reactions so far!

What I am really looking for is a flipknife, however I do want it to be a real knife.
A balisong is also a good option.

Could someone recommend me a cheap (< 25$) balisong or karambit?
I know I get what I pay for, that's the whole point :)
A cheap knife that I can start practicing with, however like I said I do want it to be a real balisong/karambit.

Honestly, a budget max of $25 is not going to get you very far for what your looking for, unless you're okay with getting a cheap polypropylene trainer. You can find those on Amazon or Ebay, but if you want something of decent quality, it's going to cost you more.

That said, it sounds to me like you just want something to fiddle around with for amusement. Don't take this the wrong way, but if that's the case then don't even bother with getting a karambit or balisong unless you're serious about training. If you're just interested in something to flip around for recreational amusement, consider a BaliYo.

A karambit is NOT a knife that I would buy a cheap or budget version of. Get a trainer blade if you want to get a feel for one. Preferably training too.

This ^

An aluminum or plastic trainer is great for 'spinning' and it won't regularly draw blood like a live blade is bound to.

Could someone recommend me a cheap (< 25$) balisong or karambit?

They don't exist. I'm sorry, but there are NO good balisongs or karambits anywhere near that price point. The cheapest decent fixed blade karambit is the Cold Steel Steel Tiger, which is around $85-90, the cheapest decent folding karambit is the 5.11 C.U.B. Master which also runs around $90-100. Balisongs you'll be lucky to find a decent one for even as cheap as the Steel Tiger.

If you're insistent on paying less than $25, you're gonna be getting basically a gas station Tac Force knife, which is highly likely to suffer lock failures and develop blade play after just a few uses. Like other people said, at that price range, get you a trainer, then when you're confident in your skills, save up and buy you something that doesn't suck and isn't likely to break and close on your fingers.

Alright, I was indeed more looking for something as a "when i get bored" thing.

What would I be best off with? A BaliYo, BBarfly or a Balisong trainer? I am looking to put time into it and get better at it.
Budget still < 25$.

Karambits are such a phenominal tool... theres nothing like it... I seriously implore you to reconsider your thinking.

Youre limiting yourself from one of the greatest tools and weapons ever invented, because of your price range. I implore you to save up and get a REAL karambit. Something you can be proud of, use, love, and probably even hand down one day.

If you can save 100$, your options are...

TOPS scorpion tail
Fox 479/579/599
Ontario Karambit
Shadowtech street, and compact karambits.

Please consider this. I was hesitant at first to drop a benjamin on a karambit, but now I have "seen the light" and theres no going back...

I carry a karambit daily.

Well like I said I want to be safe and try it out first before investing.

If I wanted to purchase a trainer for both of them, would these 2 be good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Karambit-Kn...808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9fd8c20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Qualit...406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3383fee20e

I know I won't get quality, I know I get what I am paying for. But for the price, will those 2 pieces be alright, or would I be better off with putting my budget together for 1 piece?

Hello people,

I am looking to get started with karambits and first off I would like a very cheap, simple karambit that I can practice flipping a lot with.
After this, I will move on to more advanced things and a better karambit.

Looking for a karambit that qualifies to the following:
- 25$ or lower
- Must be foldable
- Good shape for flipping, finger hole and smooth shape
- Easy to handle

I am clueless on where to look and what karambit I should be looking at.

If anyone has some advice on what karambit would be best I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you!

Why do you want a karambit? Do you anticipate fighting off baddies with only your blade?

Sigh...

If you must get one, spend some money and get a combat proven design with a combat profile for combat. Also, make sure it is endorsed by unnamed special forces and is featured in at least one martial arts magazine :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/BladesUSA-E41...d=1424997405&sr=1-1&keywords=karambit+trainer

41SPsApzf6L.jpg

There you go. Under $10 and should provide you with hours of fun without getting cut.

Against my advice, my wife bought herself an MTech karambit. It cost around $30 as I recall, and it's absolute crap. I'm not saying that because it's an MTech (I own some myself) or because it was cheap (I own many $30 or cheaper knives) but because it's just plain terrible. Thankfully, it has spent the year or so she's owned it in the package, ignored.

Hahaha no, I do not expect fighting off any "baddies" with my new, super unsharp bad-ass knife.
I am looking to pick up a new hobby, and flipping really interests me. However, I do not want to start off spending big, so I am choosing to start off with a cheap balisong and a cheap karambit so I can get the feel for it and if I want to, continue to higher quality and more advanced flipping.

Cosmic, I had also seen that knife, but since I'm flipping with it, isn't it better if it has some weight to it?

Back