First knife ever

Second the 1084 recommendation. By far the best steel to use as a beginner, HT is incredibly forgiving and easy. Quench in warm oil. NJ Steel Baron has just about the best steel and good prices, I'd recommend going there.

I have been doing some reading, and it appears that some are selling 1080 as 1084. Not sure the carbon content difference us enough to hurt anything. Your thoughts?

Horsewright, very nice knife. I also like the handguns ;)

IMO what's more important here is the manganese content. This is what makes the steel deep hardening and easy to heat treat. 4 points of carbon aren't going to do too much to the working properties of the blade. Just make sure that the 1080 stock has the same amount of manganese as the 1084 and they will function and HT very similarly

IMO what's more important here is the manganese content. This is what makes the steel deep hardening and easy to heat treat. 4 points of carbon aren't going to do too much to the working properties of the blade. Just make sure that the 1080 stock has the same amount of manganese as the 1084 and they will function and HT very similarly

Thanks for the info. As of right now I am having to stick with the .250" 5160. I will try to order some 1084 or the like next week.

Back