Photos First Look: Spartan PS „Black and White“

A collector´s life can be hard sometimes...
As the Outrider has just arrived, the next package from Ibach is on its way, so...
By the way, my wife´s nerves are made from steel, just like the new arrival´s blade :)

The Spartan PS, the Spartan´s PS, to be precise, as they come in black and white.
By the way, it way way more difficult to capture these beautys in pictures.

PS?

Right, the plain jane Spartan should be widely known by now, its a steadfast in the Victorinox line up, for years a bestseller.

But PS?
What schould that be?

PS stands for „polyspectral“, which is a special surface treatment, which I don´t even try to understand :) It´s also called Inox-Spectral.

Never seen something like this before...
I´m no chemist, but as far as I understand it, its a chromeoxid layer on the steel surface.

The colour depends on the thickness and lighting.

And in the case of the Spartan PS its, you guys guessed it, black.
And what a wonderfull one that is!

7cpzmYg.jpg

auTOQPv.jpg

A real attention getter is the fact, that not only the blade, but alle the hardware is treated, so you have a „all blacked out“ tool. And it looks amazing!

dKBQJsT.jpg

9Ej3UKE.jpg

QTxXZ4Q.jpg

The tool selection on the Spartans should be mentioned briefliy:
large blade, penblade, caplifter, small screwdriver, large screwdriver, bottle opener, awl, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick.

So, everything is black?
Exactly!!

Well, nearly.

YfJ83c6.jpg

Toothpick and tweezers are standard, wouldn´t it be cool to have them in black too?

If that´s too „goth“ for your liking, there´s also a version with white scales!
(got both, couldn´t resist...)

pmhDjMT.jpg

The small clothepin hole is present as well.

For comparison:
WrVKQr9.jpg
plpGPeQ.jpg
3SaOgun.jpg
0MzvrqV.jpg

With polyspectral treatment and „standard“.
And thats the tricky part, catching this with the camera wasn´t as easy as I thought it would be...

Depending on the lighting, the camera „sees“ it quite different from the human eye. Both blades are treated, one just slightly canted:

i2dJs3J.jpg

Amazing...

Being „Black&White“, what comes to mind?

h3Z7stf.jpg
DjUcj85.jpg
kNn2wuI.jpg
Befu9A4.jpg

I´m realy stunned by this new treatment, how it will put up with long term use, we will see...

For your viewing pleasure:

ibqCcBV.jpg
bT5Zvgz.jpg
WrVKQr9.jpg
sOUzqAI.jpg
dKBQJsT.jpg
7uCjuYu.jpg
LmojgbS.jpg
QTxXZ4Q.jpg
DNS74ni.jpg

I´m realy stunned by the two new Spartans and hope to see more models come with this treatment in the future!

If you have any questions, shoot!

Back